Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 03:37 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. Just moved to the area from Chicago and am living temporarily near Columbia. My spouse and I are looking for the best coffee shop in the area. We really want a place that focuses on coffee (it would be great if they even roasted their own beans), not a place that focuses on food/ice cream/desserts and has a cursory interest in coffee. I've done a brief search and found a LOT of Starbucks and several places that seem more like cafe's that just so happen to serve coffee also, but where's the best coffee house?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Hi everybody. Just moved to the area from Chicago and am living temporarily near Columbia. My spouse and I are looking for the best coffee shop in the area. We really want a place that focuses on coffee (it would be great if they even roasted their own beans), not a place that focuses on food/ice cream/desserts and has a cursory interest in coffee. I've done a brief search and found a LOT of Starbucks and several places that seem more like cafe's that just so happen to serve coffee also, but where's the best coffee house?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!
I'm originally from Columbia, now living in Chicago, but I still go back to visit family frequently. Unfortunately, one of the well-known local, authentic coffee shops (Bun Penny) closed some years ago. I'm not sure what the best one is now. You may have more luck looking around Ellicott City, which is very close to Columbia, as Columbia has a lot more chains than Ellicott City.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I'm originally from Columbia, now living in Chicago, but I still go back to visit family frequently. Unfortunately, one of the well-known local, authentic coffee shops (Bun Penny) closed some years ago. I'm not sure what the best one is now. You may have more luck looking around Ellicott City, which is very close to Columbia, as Columbia has a lot more chains than Ellicott City.
Thanks for the suggestion. We've really been looking for some place to fill the void left by Metropolis in Edgewater (our former coffee watering hole). Sorry to hear that one of the local shops closed up!

Old 07-07-2016, 06:57 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
.... Unfortunately, one of the well-known local, authentic coffee shops (Bun Penny) closed some years ago. ...
I was also going to mention Bun Penny. It was exactly like what the OP is looking for. It is hard to compete with Starbucks.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:15 AM

123 posts, read 144,235 times
We like a little pastry shop in Columbia called Touche Touche. There are at least two nice coffee shops in downtown Ellicott City: Bean Hollow and the Little French Market.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 AM

233 posts, read 318,006 times
Head to old town Ellicott City- Main Street and check out Bean Hollow or Riverside Coffee in Columbia. As you've noticed already, Columbia is filled with chain stores.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Old 07-07-2016, 09:54 AM

439 posts, read 425,208 times
Bean Hollow and Old Mill Bakery. They are about about one mile apart.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,961 times
Default Mad City Coffee

Home

Right off of Cedar Lane, they roast their own (and it's good), live music on the weekends, good food and environment, indoor and outdoor seating.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 4,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyyearsinhoco View Post

Home

Right off of Cedar Lane, they roast their own (and it's good), live music on the weekends, good food and environment, indoor and outdoor seating.
I second this. Mad City Coffee is the best. Great atmosphere and a terrific variety of top notch coffee to choose from.

Little French Market in Ellicott City has great sandwiches but is not what I'd describe as a coffee house. More like an airy cafe.

Riverside is okay. It beats Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland