Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 837 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am a single mom with 1 son planning to move to PA from MD. Technically the only thing that will change is our address and his school. I've been doing things on my own with very little help from family since he was 6 wks old. I'm also pretty distant from my extended family. For me it'll be better financially but more importantly the schools are better. My son is currently in private school and affording it is getting difficult. Does anyone know the changes i may face regarding child support and custody in PA? Also has anyone been in this situation? The hardest part will be dealing with my son's father. He doesn't spend time or do anything for his son but i know he'll have an issue with it. Does anyone have any idea of the crime rate, schools, property or other taxes? I will still be working in MD so thats another thing to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 12:15 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
You better check the custody agreement before moving out of state. I have had several associates that ONLY remain where they are because moving to another state would require approval of the other parent and/or the court overseeing the agreement.

I also cannot think of many who consider the schools on the PA side of the Mason Dixon line to be better than the ones on the MD side. Also as I have said before the PA school systems are much more local, usually consisting of a single High School feeder area. In MD they are larger County sized systems.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:12 PM

236 posts, read 251,241 times
Where in PA?

Old 07-22-2016, 04:47 PM

200 posts, read 620,090 times
Don't be so quick to say you would be better off financially in PA when you don't understand the taxes. Unlike Maryland, in PA you don't get exemptions or most deductions on your income tax. It is flat rate basically from dollar one. You also have a local income tax on top of that, also a flat rate. Property taxes are higher than Maryland especially because of the school tax. For most people, I think cost of living in PA is just as much as in MD. You may be able to find a house for less money is the real advantage since a lot of people don't want to commute that far and housing is cheaper.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:21 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
Don't be so quick to say you would be better off financially in PA when you don't understand the taxes. Unlike Maryland, in PA you don't get exemptions or most deductions on your income tax. It is flat rate basically from dollar one. You also have a local income tax on top of that, also a flat rate. Property taxes are higher than Maryland especially because of the school tax. For most people, I think cost of living in PA is just as much as in MD. You may be able to find a house for less money is the real advantage since a lot of people don't want to commute that far and housing is cheaper.

The PA state income tax is lower than Maryland. Property taxes are all over the place and, as mentioned, school systems in PA are set up differently. Counties in PA generally carry very little weight, unlike Maryland.

Kanling, I have to ask since you mentioned the school taxes, how much of your property tax levied by your MD County goes to the school system (which is another difference, PA school boards have taxing authority while MD's don't)?

You could also say Maryland's property tax is driven by school costs. The only difference is that it's not broken out.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:27 PM

236 posts, read 251,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
Where in PA?
Let me add -- I agree with the previous poster that schools are not better in PA overall. Housing is less expensive, yes, and taxes are similar when you factor them all (income/property/sales etc) in, unless you are retired, since pensions are not taxed in PA and they are in MD. Whether it's a viable move depends where in PA you will live and where in MD you are commuting to. I have recently learned of a serious drug (heroin) problem among school aged children in PA. Maybe the same in MD -- not sure -- but something to be aware of.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:29 AM

200 posts, read 620,090 times
>>The PA state income tax is lower than Maryland.<<

That totally depends on how much income you have. One income family with a child, there is a good chance Maryland taxes would be cheaper.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:48 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
>>The PA state income tax is lower than Maryland.<<

That totally depends on how much income you have. One income family with a child, there is a good chance Maryland taxes would be cheaper.

If you say so. The numbers don't work out real well, unless the individual is at the very bottom of the income chart, when you add the County Piggyback Income Tax (typically 1/2 of the state rate) to the 4.75% most Marylanders pay. People seem to always forget that Piggyback Tax.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:41 AM

449 posts, read 495,117 times
"The schools are better"

In terms of what demographics? Or actual education?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,837 times
I'm a teacher who moved out of southern PA to MD. I also student taught for a school system the and volunteered/subbed at several others, and was not impressed with the nearby school systems.

If you thought County-Wide bureaucracy was bad, small town mentality is much worse. Very, very few schools have AP classes and graduation rate is low compared to the public schools in MD. If you want a teacher to stay after school to tutor your child, you are out of luck- PA teachers are under a state-wide contact to leave right after school. The schools are run by township, not county, and do not receive enough funding as a county school district would (the school I student taught in last school year didn't even have wifi). Last year schools were shut down on the first week of school by the *lovely* democrat governor Wolf because he couldn't get state budget spending approval... So he took it out on the education system (I'm not kidding, Google it). I've known parents who have moved across the MD border just to send their children to school because they were greatly dissatisfied with the PA school system/bureaucracy.

The only pros about living in southern PA: the college education in PA is fantastic AND tuition is so much cheaper. Also, insanely cheap auto insurance.

As for taxes... MD taxes are high, but there are more local taxes in PA. I got a friend who opened a business in PA and wishes she can move back to MD because the township taxes are a pain.

Seriously, I would take the MD education system over PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: