Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:12 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Gov. Hogan has announced that Maryland will get new license plates, thus bringing to an end the War of 1812's six-year run as American's worst standard-issue license plate. (OK, he didn't say that last part.)

Governor Hogan unveils new Maryland license plates - ABC2News.com

It's nice that the new plate will incorporate our flag, since I think that Maryland has the best state flag in the entire country. I'm a little concerned about readability, where the bottom of the letters overlap the top of the flag. This is especially true at the point where the letters RO (in the sample) sit. Other than that, though, it doesn't seem too bad. Not as good as the old plates with the state flag in a shield between the numbers and the letters (that one was a classic), but light-years better than the War of 1812 ones. In my opinion, of course.

Any other thoughts about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 06:54 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I like it. I wish I still lived in Md so I could get a set.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:04 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
It looks nice. It has a clean look to it.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:17 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Unlike many I had no problem with 1812 plates. Of course many people are morons and didn't understand what they were.

Then again I have DU or Bay tags on all of my now reduced in size fleet. One car does have the 1812 tags now that I think of it. They don't look bad since the blue in the plate is the same as the car's blue.

OCD kicking in.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:54 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Not too bad. I would prefer a cleaner view of the flag......it seems the focal point is the middle where yellow, black, red, and white all meet and none of the quadrants are very clear. Still, a simple design showing off the state symbol that is unique and popular from the mountains to the shore is a solid choice.

My personal favorite plate is the red Ag. plate..........looked nice on my red and black car. The bay plate is nice, I love herons. They are one of my favorite birds.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
It looks nice. It has a clean look to it.
I agree that it's one of the best features. While Maryland played a big part in the war of 1812 I don't think we need to feature it on our license places. Besides, they look like a fireworks display and the small dual lettering that replaces the 2nd digit is terribly hard to read.

And we SHOULD incorporate our flag. About half, or perhaps even a slight majority, of state flags are blue fields with the state seal in the center which is not only boring but does nothing to distinguish them from each other (which from a vexillological point of view defeats the purpose of having an instantly recognizable symbol), especially from far away.

It's also stupid to have your state's name on your flag (lookin at you Montana!) I will give some exception to California though since that bear does look pretty awesome. But yeah guys....you're gonna have to come up with something better than these here:

About ten of the others that aren't simple blue fields with an undistinguished seal are really just modified Confederate battle standards. Hmmmm, seems to be a trend here:

Old 09-05-2016, 06:21 AM

274 posts, read 252,788 times
Quote:
War of 1812's six-year run as American's worst standard-issue license plate.
I lived in Maryland 1988-1996. I had to look up the 1812 plate; I didn't know they got rid of the shield plate.

IMO, the 1812 plate is not bad, but if I lived in MD and had to turn in my shield plate for that thing I'd'a been PO'd.

The new one is nice, and yes, it could do with a little more flag.

I've moved around a lot, and the Maryland flag is still one of my faves. I enjoyed my time in Maryland. Unfortunately, last time I was back for a visit, D.C. is creeping closer and closer to Baltimore. Like killer bees....

Best of luck with all of it, and enjoy yer new plate!!

Old 09-07-2016, 12:22 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I like the new plate. Maryland has decent plates. I don't like the 1812 plates (we have the bay plates), but Maryland is nowhere near the worst. There are some really ugly plates out there in other states.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:34 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I like the new plate. Maryland has decent plates. I don't like the 1812 plates (we have the bay plates), but Maryland is nowhere near the worst. There are some really ugly plates out there in other states.
Michigan's license plates are terrible, especially considering that it's the automotive capital of the U.S.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:58 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Michigan's license plates are terrible, especially considering that it's the automotive capital of the U.S.
Perhaps you're not aware, but Michigan has new license plates. The standard issue ones aren't anything special, but I really do like the Mackinac Bridge ones:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: