U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 10:24 PM

25 posts, read 18,075 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving soon, and have been looking at rooms/apartments in several different areas close to Salisbury University. Right now I am partial to Fruitland because of the cheaper rent, quiet area, and proximity to the university, and Salisbury itself doesn't look too bad either. I was also surprised to see a lot of attractive, decently-priced condos for rent in Ocean City, but the commute to the university might be a deal-breaker. I tend to avoid the student dorms because I'm not about that party life, and they're always a ripoff.

All in all, I'm looking forward to moving.

The only problem is I really don't know much at all about the area, or the people that live there.

I am a lesbian, which means that I'm not always accepted wherever I go.

Now, I'm going to be working while attending university, so I'm not asking about LGBT clubs or where to meet gay singles or anything; that's nowhere on my priorities list. I just don't want to be visited by white-hooded thugs in the middle of the night or anything.

Does anyone know of any areas to recommend looking into? Anyone have experiences or anecdotes they'd like to share about being gay in the Eastern Shore, or know of the general attitudes towards gay people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 05:27 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdessaBones View Post
... Anyone have experiences or anecdotes they'd like to share about being gay in the Eastern Shore, or know of the general attitudes towards gay people?
I have seen a few rainbow flags in St, Michael, but that's a tourist area, and not typical of Salibury.

However, I have a question for you. Does your appeance suggest your orientation? Are you obviously lesbian or butch, or are you an ordinary-looking woman. I doubt that you would be bullied if you were the latter.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:44 PM

25 posts, read 18,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have seen a few rainbow flags in St, Michael, but that's a tourist area, and not typical of Salibury.

However, I have a question for you. Does your appeance suggest your orientation? Are you obviously lesbian or butch, or are you an ordinary-looking woman. I doubt that you would be bullied if you were the latter.
Somewhere in the middle, I guess? I have short hair that is often dyed unnatural colors like pink or blue, tattoos, Doc Martens, lithe athletic build, no makeup, etc, but I still have an obviously feminine appearance and sometimes wear skirts or dresses. Men still try to hit on me so I probably look more like a punk than a butch, but I'm also a friendly, pleasant person and get along with most people I meet. Even when I lived in an extremely rural area with recent KKK activity the most I ever got were dirty looks from older people, so I might be worrying over nothing. It's not like I'm advertising my sexual orientation on my sleeve or anything, but at the same time I don't want to have to hide it if it happens to come up in conversation.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:54 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdessaBones View Post
Even when I lived in an extremely rural area with recent KKK activity the most I ever got were dirty looks from older people, so I might be worrying over nothing. It's not like I'm advertising my sexual orientation on my sleeve or anything, but at the same time I don't want to have to hide it if it happens to come up in conversation.
I think you would be OK, but I don't have direct experience with Salisbury. Is there an LGBT adviser at Salisbury University? If, you might check with him or her.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:30 AM

9,409 posts, read 5,202,941 times
A former classmate and her wife recently moved to Rock Hall, which is about as small town and remote as the Eastern Shore can get. Learned the guy across the street was gay very early and report total acceptance. This is 2016, huge strides in LGBT acceptance throughout the country in the last 5-10 years so I think you will be OK regardless of where you move.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:02 PM

631 posts, read 1,038,431 times
I am orginally from Salisbury (born and raised) now living in the DC Area. I have family and friends that LGBT and they are accepted. It's a lot of lesbians that reside in Salisbury and even the former mayor was gay. You will be accepted. Fruitland is cheap to live in versus Salisbury and is more safer. Just avoid living in the area adjacent to the Wal-Mart (Dulany Road area) and you will be fine.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:37 PM

766 posts, read 619,826 times
I agree with the previous posters. Anecdotally, I was in Walmart earlier today in Berlin. Gay couple in front of me in line. Nobody cared.

I don't think you should have anything to worry about

Old 10-22-2016, 05:38 AM

9,409 posts, read 5,202,941 times
For those claiming America is so broken we need to make it great again I'd like to point out just how far we have come on this issue. Does anyone think a lesbian couple would have been totally accepted in Salisbury 20 years ago?

Old 10-22-2016, 08:26 AM

766 posts, read 619,826 times
Salisbury elected an openly gay mayor like ten years ago. And re-elected him. It's not nearly as regressive an area as you may think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or