U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:24 PM

20 posts, read 14,092 times

Advertisements

I second sykesville or eldersburg.
There WILL be creeping traffic every day getting out of Columbia on route 32 to pass Clarksville, and a bit of the way up. Route 29 is worse. Don't make him get on 70 and drive another 30 minutes past the backup to Frederick county... ugh.
Sykesville is idealistic and eldersburg is convenient. Both places have nice people. And the ride can get kinda long every day but there are a few different routes. And it's no where near the trek to new market.
I don't know about the libraries up there (I'm in Columbia myself) but love to take my 3 year old to the playgrounds in sykesville, never a bad experience. There are 2 to choose from and for rustic outdoor activity see River Road, fishing/playing in the water. It's another world.
Eldersburg has a new Walmart, fast foods, groceries, etc. but it's not as hometowny as sykesville. I'm a bit biased to sykesville as I lived there for several years.

I have family up near new market - lake linganore. The pictures and ads online are great right? But there's going to be a lot of construction with a new shopping center, new houses, etc. and people don't seem happy about that or more people moving in. The roads are narrow, and things builders promised they'd do years ago (like maintain road surface) were not done. You can read about it in online newspapers. I liked it too but I resigned to it being a "too good to be true" after I read the news.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 09:26 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Traffic on I-70 moves pretty well, even during rush hour, until you get to Marriottsville Road. From there to U.S. 29, it still moves, but decidedly more slowly. U.S. 29 can be pretty slow as well from I-70 all the way down to Columbia Mall.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:36 AM

350 posts, read 1,007,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Traffic on I-70 moves pretty well, even during rush hour, until you get to Marriottsville Road. From there to U.S. 29, it still moves, but decidedly more slowly. U.S. 29 can be pretty slow as well from I-70 all the way down to Columbia Mall.
You can exit at Marriottsville and take back roads.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:04 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhart View Post
You can exit at Marriottsville and take back roads.
That's true. I suppose the OP's husband could try this:

-Get off I-70 at Exit 82, U.S. 40 (just before Marriottsville Rd.)
-Right on Marriottsville Rd.
-Left on Frederick Rd.
-Right on Folly Quarter Rd.
-Left on Homewood Rd.
-Straight across MD 108 to Harpers Farm Rd.
-Right on Cedar La.
-Left on Little Patuxent Pkwy., follow to Town Center

I wonder if this would be any faster than using I-70 and U.S. 29? It would certainly be more scenic!

Old 11-10-2016, 11:36 PM

20 posts, read 14,092 times
Right on cedar lane in the morning would mean passing the elementary school where all the kids are walking. Best go straight thru harpers farm to LPP and make a left down into town center/mall.
Could also get off at 40, take down to 29 and exit at town center. 29 was never a problem for me there in the morning. However, 70 to 29 was awful and I always exited at 40.

Another scenic route could be taking 32 to linden church and making that left turn, then taking to Clarksville 108 and getting into Columbia several ways from there.

You see OP there are plenty of ways to get from sykesville to Columbia but it's the distance from new market to Columbia day in and out that could wear one out quickly.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:44 PM

65 posts, read 52,561 times
Thanks everyone, you have helped A LOT! We added skysville to our list. Homes seem to be much more limited, but still doable. How about Mt. Airy? We will be there mid Jan, so we are starting to look now. Anybody have a recommendation on a real estate agent? We figured we should go ahead and make contact that way we are not trying to find someone once we get there, I don't want to live in our travel trailer longer than we have to while house hunting, so we defiantly need a plan going forward. Thanks again.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:46 PM

4,988 posts, read 8,069,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1126 View Post
Thanks everyone, you have helped A LOT! We added skysville to our list. Homes seem to be much more limited, but still doable. How about Mt. Airy? We will be there mid Jan, so we are starting to look now. Anybody have a recommendation on a real estate agent? We figured we should go ahead and make contact that way we are not trying to find someone once we get there, I don't want to live in our travel trailer longer than we have to while house hunting, so we defiantly need a plan going forward. Thanks again.
Mt. Airy is a geographic concept split up between 3 counties. There is a small historic core in Carroll County, but what county you end up in determines tax rates, school district, etc., so keep that in mind when looking.

I think the place fits most of your criteria though.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:54 PM

44 posts, read 46,049 times
Arrow I am surprised you don't have more replies.

I will send you a DM for a real estate agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1126 View Post

Old 12-12-2016, 07:32 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,922,719 times
We have never locked our doors in the 14 years we have lived here. In talking to others this is not uncommon. I doubt you could do that in Sykesville or Eldersburg. Being close to 70 is huge, easy trip to Baltimore, Frederick or anywhere else for that matter. I once lived 20 minutes from an interstate, I assume Sykesville is not quite that far but Eldersbirg is further. Adding 20 minutes to every trip we took sucked. But I'm not trying to disrespect those places, both are excellent choices. I just prefer Mt Airy and New Market.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:36 AM

1 posts, read 811 times
بيع وشراء وايجار اراضي زراعية صناعية في قطر كل متوفر بمزاد قطر للاراضي تمتع بافضل العروض اشترك الان و اعرف الاسعار اول بأول و قم باختيار السعر المناسب لك

[URL="http://mzadqatar.com/قطر/1222/اراضي"]اراضى قطر , اراضى بقطر للبيع , اراضى قطرية , اراضى للبيع في قطر ,اراضى زراعية قطر , اراضى زراعية بقطر للبيع , اراضى زراعية قطرية , اراضى صناعية للبيع في قطر , اراضى صناعية قطر , اراضى صناعية بقطر للبيع , اراضى صناعية قطرية , اراضى صناعية للبيع في قطر
[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or