Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 03:58 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times

Advertisements

First time poster in the Maryland forums--moved to Elkridge from Chicago in July for a new job. My experience has been mixed, as there are things I dearly miss about Chicago, but there are some very nice things about Maryland, too (I think it needs more time to grow on me). One thing I have noticed since I moved here, which has really struck me:

Why are there so many parts of the expressways and highways where the lights aren't on?

For example, there are long stretches of I-695 that are poorly lit and seem to be almost dangerously dark. Further, the exchange at I-95 and I-195 also has no lights on in the evening. I mean, it'd be one thing if the lights didn't exist, but they are there...great big light poles..they're just not, well, on.

I thought at first it were just a Baltimore county thing, but it's also true in Howard (e.g., the intersection of MD-175 and MD-108, where 8 lanes of traffic and 6 lanes of traffic meet, there are *two* of the between six and eight street lights actually on in the evening). This change was really stark moving here from Cook county, which had street lights as far as the eye could see in every direction. I understand that there are reflectors in the road (although many are completely missing on I-695), but these aren't a substitute for actual lighting (especially at major intersections).

Has anyone else noticed this observation, too? What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 09:23 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Since you are new to the area you are obviously not familiar with the flash card system we have here now. Drivers are required to purchase a flash card and display it on the dash. The card is scanned as you travel along a highway, a fee is deducted and that triggers the lights to come on. If you come across an area that is dark you have simply run into a collection of cars that do not have flash cards displayed. It happens sometimes as some drivers rely on others to pay for the lights they are all using. It's selfish but what are you gonna do?

Old 11-21-2016, 10:09 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Since you are new to the area you are obviously not familiar with the flash card system we have here now. Drivers are required to purchase a flash card and display it on the dash. The card is scanned as you travel along a highway, a fee is deducted and that triggers the lights to come on. If you come across an area that is dark you have simply run into a collection of cars that do not have flash cards displayed. It happens sometimes as some drivers rely on others to pay for the lights they are all using. It's selfish but what are you gonna do?

Well golly gee, I guess I'll just have to get one of those flash card systems

Old 11-21-2016, 11:27 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,735 times
Quote:

wait what?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:42 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Dave sells them, just send him a DM for the address to send your money. You'll receive the card in about ten years.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:32 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Quote:

If I pay the flush tax but only #1, does a flash flush count for flash card credit?

Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
OP, after you pay for Dave's flash card, I'd like to sell you the Bay Bridge. I won't ask for much, and it'll all be worth it as you drive across your new bridge and watch the lights snap on, one by one, just for you!

Meanwhile, back in the real world . . . regarding the streetlights, there are two issues at work. One, Cook County is vastly more populated than Elkridge, or even Baltimore. So it stands to reason that it would have more streetlights. But two, cutting out the lights has been seen as a cost-cutting measure. It used to be that Route 100 was illuminated the entire way from I-95 west to U.S. 29. But then some penny-pinching bureaucrat decided that it would be better to turn off the lights and save a few dollars, never mind the increased risk to motorists' safety. So they cut off most of the lights and even took down most of the poles. More recently, though, wiser heads have started prevailing. They've started putting the light poles back up again and switching from the yellow-ish lights to the much brighter, white LED lights.

So at least the trend is heading in the right direction, even if we don't yet have as many lights as we should have. Now, how will you be paying for your new bridge?

Old 11-22-2016, 10:25 AM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Dave sells them, just send him a DM for the address to send your money. You'll receive the card in about ten years.
Here's the thing, Dave may have cards for streetlights but I have the ones that do that and change red lights to green so your commute is faster.

Now think, which one would you rather have?

More seriously, the removal of lights was a reaction to complaints about light pollution in some cases as well as cost.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:47 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
I bet the lights are on in Cook County because they have no Sea Turtles.
Along the waterfront in Florida you'll sea signs that the streetlights are turned of March - October to protect the Turtles.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:24 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,735 times
Why re the lights not on?? Well, I forgot to turn them on and the state is trying to lower taxes by dimming lights. its easy. i can’t even see in here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland