Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,864 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife recently got job in Annapolis, we currently stay in Hagerstown where Am currently working. trying to find a place where we both can commute from - my wife is a new driver (just got her license 1 year back) and almost never drove alone till date. below are the options Am looking at.

1. We both stay @ our respective job cities and meet during weekend.
2. Stay somewhere near glenburnie (Hoping to find a safe n good apartments ) - however my commute will be atleast 80-90 mins 1 way.

We're from south asian country in our late 20's.

appericiate feedback/new ideas!

Last edited by disturbedspace; 12-21-2016 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 11:16 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Aim to shorten your wife's commute. She is a new, inexperienced driver, and her end of the commute will be the busier of the two. So she should drive as little as possible. If you can find a place near the Cromwell Station light rail stop, there is a local bus that operates from there to Annapolis; and a faster express bus is going to begin operating next spring.

You will just have to suffer with the longer commute, or else try and find employment closer to home. As for where to live, I would look for somewhere located along either MD 32 or MD 100, in between U.S. 29 and I-97. In other words, northern Anne Arundel or eastern Howard counties.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:08 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,028 times
Have you considered Mt. Airy? Looking at the map, it seems to be about the halfway point between Hagerstown and Annapolis.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Aim to shorten your wife's commute. She is a new, inexperienced driver, and her end of the commute will be the busier of the two. So she should drive as little as possible. If you can find a place near the Cromwell Station light rail stop, there is a local bus that operates from there to Annapolis; and a faster express bus is going to begin operating next spring.

You will just have to suffer with the longer commute, or else try and find employment closer to home. As for where to live, I would look for somewhere located along either MD 32 or MD 100, in between U.S. 29 and I-97. In other words, northern Anne Arundel or eastern Howard counties.

Thank you! we were planning to stay apart atleast till winter gets over, and then move in to a place together.. now that you mentioned that a new express service is going to begin, I'll have to figure out the route (starting & ending) details and plan accordingly..

if that doesnt work out -

will go with 2nd option..

thnkx!!

Old 12-22-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Have you considered Mt. Airy? Looking at the map, it seems to be about the halfway point between Hagerstown and Annapolis.
As my wife's a new drive (Never drove without me on highways till date) i wouldnt trust her/stress her to drive that long alone thnk you though!

Old 12-23-2016, 07:02 AM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
If not Mr. Airy, maybe Colombia? It's a pretty easy drive west in the morning, no traffic, etc.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:21 PM

So now that winter is over.. I'm back to square 1.. wesaw some apartments in Columbia/Elkridge/Jessup..but aren't able to finalize the apartments yet. below are our criteria/preferences in order.

take close to Route 29/Route 95/Route 32 and finally Route 100 (this is fartest from my wife's place). pick a place from where its easier to get on to any of the above highways (avoid staying in middle of city to reduce commute time).

Am not able to find any forums which tells me the traffic conditions of below 4 routes in morning hours (6.30AM - 7.00AM)

1. Route 95 --> route 32 --> towards Hagerstown/Annapolis
2.Route 29 --> Route 32 --> towards hagerstown/annapolis
3. Route 95 --> route 100 --> towards Hagerstown/Annapolis
4. Route --> 29 --> Route 100 --> towards Annapolis

Appreciate if someone can give some information on traffic conditions and suggest some Good apartments.
1BHK under 1400 - no kids

Old 03-13-2017, 08:47 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedspace View Post
So now that winter is over.. I'm back to square 1.. wesaw some apartments in Columbia/Elkridge/Jessup..but aren't able to finalize the apartments yet. below are our criteria/preferences in order.

take close to Route 29/Route 95/Route 32 and finally Route 100 (this is fartest from my wife's place). pick a place from where its easier to get on to any of the above highways (avoid staying in middle of city to reduce commute time).

Am not able to find any forums which tells me the traffic conditions of below 4 routes in morning hours (6.30AM - 7.00AM)

1. Route 95 --> route 32 --> towards Hagerstown/Annapolis
2.Route 29 --> Route 32 --> towards hagerstown/annapolis
3. Route 95 --> route 100 --> towards Hagerstown/Annapolis
4. Route --> 29 --> Route 100 --> towards Annapolis

Appreciate if someone can give some information on traffic conditions and suggest some Good apartments.
1BHK under 1400 - no kids
I-95 is slow going south during the morning rush hour through Columbia; it's not as bad going north. During the after noon, it's slow in both directions.

U.S. 29 is slow going northbound through Columbia in the afternoon, but I expect it will get better once the construction is finally done.

Route 100 is slow going east approaching I-95 in the morning, and again approaching the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. In the afternoon, it's slow going west from the Parkway towards I-95, and again when approaching U.S. 29.

I don't have enough experience with Route 32 to give an opinion.

By the way, the express bus from Cromwell Station light rail to Annapolis is up and running. Check it out!

https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...ar1-2017_2.pdf

If you can give me an idea of where in Annapolis your wife works, I can give you further information about how she can get there, if the 215 wouldn't get her there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland