U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 23,861 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in NJ and am thinking of buying a house around Salisbury, MD. I saw some posts that spoke negatively about the area because it is hard to find a job. But thankfully I work remotely so employment is not a problem. I just need an area which is safe (I don't plan to go wandering through the streets at night, but I do want to feel secure at home and when I go grocery shopping) and has a decent school system for my kids and where the house prices and taxes are not too high and the winters are not too harsh and the summers have a nice breeze.

Does Salisbury fit this description? If not, is there anywhere else on the Eastern shore I can consider?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 04:53 AM

35,854 posts, read 45,994,259 times
Pocomoke City.
Berlin.
Snow Hill.
Trappe.
Princess Anne.
Delmar.
Crisfield.

I had to step out for a bit.
What I listed are all incorporated municipalities, most local government in Maryland is County based not municipalities. You will pay a bit higher property tax in a municipality when adding in County taxes.

The school systems are also County based. School systems on the Eastern Shore generally rank in the lower half of Maryland rankings.

Be aware that the Eastern Shore is incredibly rural so even living in a town you will likely have to drive for shopping. Even groceries if you're used to massive stores with a multitude of selections.

Salisbury is OK and not the 7th Circle of Hell some posters may make it out to be. It does, however, have a higher crime rate than you'd expect for a relatively small rural town. Some of that is driven by the college.

The Shore, like many areas across the US, is going through issues related to opioid use and abuse.

Did I mention the Eastern Shore is really rural?

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-23-2017 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 AM

Thank you very much for your response North Beach Person. So the house I was considering has this address 26521 Pemberton Dr, Salisbury, MD 21801 and in the description they say it is "located in a quiet area on the Westside of Salisbury". Should I still be worried about the high crime rate you mentioned here or is this far enough from the bad part of town?

Old 01-23-2017, 07:52 AM

35,854 posts, read 45,994,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JehanJaleel View Post
Thank you very much for your response North Beach Person. So the house I was considering has this address 26521 Pemberton Dr, Salisbury, MD 21801 and in the description they say it is "located in a quiet area on the Westside of Salisbury". Should I still be worried about the high crime rate you mentioned here or is this far enough from the bad part of town?
I really don't know. There are a couple posters who live over there, they'll likely amble through here in the next couple days.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 AM

789 posts, read 817,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JehanJaleel View Post
That is an extremely safe and nice part of town. Plus you are near the ferry, which is really convenient. I don't think there is an argument to be had there.

Also, great resale potential over there. Co-worker used to live in a nearby neighborhood, sold his house in 7 days for a little over asking.

Kids? Many people living over there send their kids to private k-8 school, because the feeder school (Pemberton) is just terrible.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 PM

Thanks seanlax for that information, I really appreciate it. Do you also have anything to share for homes along white cove drive like this one 6393 White Cove Dr, Salisbury, MD 21801 | MLS #507654 | Zillow

I am thinking they are not as safe, but just wanted to confirm

Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 AM

28,459 posts, read 27,242,398 times
I imagine people might cut through there to get to Nanticoke or Pemberton.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,556 times
I was thinking of moving to eastern shore due to the skyrocketing costs across the bridge. I liked the prices of rent/little houses near Salisbury. Is it possible to get a little house, 100k tops in a non-ghetto area?

Old 06-20-2017, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,030 times
Being from Monmouth county NJ and having lived in both locations, I can understand where you are coming from. I lived south of salisbury for ten years and attended Salisbury University and I'm friends with the current mayor of Salisbury. Salisbury definitely has had its rough past but in the past ten years I've watched Salisbury and the surrounding areas grow. Out of all the towns and cities on the eastern shore of Maryland no other town in my opinion can offer what Salisbury can year round. There is a huge initiative currently in place to build up and bring the downtown area of salisbury back to life. From Salisbury you are a 30-40min drive to Ocean City and within a 2 hour drive from Philly, Baltimore, and Washington DC. My wife attended Parkside High School and then attended Georgetown University. The schools are good and the private schools are good there as well. The location you are looking at living I would not worry at all about crime. I have friends who live in that neighborhood with families and they feel very safe and are happy living there. I was surprised to learn through my years in the area that there are A LOT of NJ natives on the eastern shore. If you want a more laid back lifestyle and a lower cost of living and not have to worry about traffic except summer beach traffic, then I say go for it. I wish I could move there now but my current job puts me outside the commuting distance (DC). I hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:27 PM

789 posts, read 817,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrairc View Post
I was thinking of moving to eastern shore due to the skyrocketing costs across the bridge. I liked the prices of rent/little houses near Salisbury. Is it possible to get a little house, 100k tops in a non-ghetto area?
Yes. Although if your definition of ghetto is 'living near black people', then no. Pretty sure 80k is the absolute low end for solid middle class hoods in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or