Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:03 AM

38 posts, read 68,905 times

Advertisements

Looking at Arundel County since you can get more home for about $50k to $125k less than Howard County.

What areas in Arundel County are similar to Columbia, MD and are AA County Schools what much worse than Howard County Schools?

Oh and how diverse (socioeconomically and racially) is AA County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,735 times
Its a good county has good school and good houses. idk what the schools are like but howard and moco are highest rated. its got some diverse things and is quieter there. i think 0denton Annapolis and Crofton are nice areas.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:32 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momanager View Post
Looking at Arundel County since you can get more home for about $50k to $125k less than Howard County.

What areas in Arundel County are similar to Columbia, MD and are AA County Schools what much worse than Howard County Schools?

Oh and how diverse (socioeconomically and racially) is AA County?
You'll want to look at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community Just look up whatever AACO high school the home is districted for. You'll find test scores, school ratings and reviews. I find the reviews pretty biased so I wouldn't give too much weight to them. Then, you'll go to the students tab and it will give you the socioeconomic and racial breakdown of that particular school.

Columbia is very, very unique. There is nothing else quite like it. What do you like about Columbia? That might help people here to give you recommendations for other towns that share certain characteristics of Columbia.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 PM

580 posts, read 777,317 times
Anne Arundel is a huge county. North is and west are a bit more working class, Severna Park is more expensive, and has the best schools that rival the best HoCo schools.

FWIW we live in Ellicott City, but if not for my wife changing jobs, would probably live in Severna Park.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 AM

103 posts, read 183,890 times
As others have said, AA is huge. In general, south of Edgewater will be quite rural and fewer amenities (beautiful, BTW). There is nothing quite like Columbia in AA but Annapolis has similarities as far as dining and shopping (flagship mall). Many are not fans of Annapolis public schools, however. Odenton/Gambrills/Severn would not be too far from Columbia (Arundel's reputation is much better than schools near Ft. Meade).

What is your budget and where is commute to?

Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
You'll want to look at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community Just look up whatever AACO high school the home is districted for. You'll find test scores, school ratings and reviews. I find the reviews pretty biased so I wouldn't give too much weight to them. Then, you'll go to the students tab and it will give you the socioeconomic and racial breakdown of that particular school.

Columbia is very, very unique. There is nothing else quite like it. What do you like about Columbia? That might help people here to give you recommendations for other towns that share certain characteristics of Columbia.
thanks!

I love that Columbia reminds me of Northern VA. I grew up in Fairfax County and love that HoCo is similar to my hometown.

I do check the rating sites (Great Schools and US News and World Report) and as you said reviews (and to an extent even ratings) can be biased. I feel like you all on city data provide more insight than the rating sites.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Anne Arundel is a huge county. North is and west are a bit more working class, Severna Park is more expensive, and has the best schools that rival the best HoCo schools.

FWIW we live in Ellicott City, but if not for my wife changing jobs, would probably live in Severna Park.
Thanks!

Wouldn't mind a working class area that is starting to build more homes to attract white collar workers.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDaaCo View Post
As others have said, AA is huge. In general, south of Edgewater will be quite rural and fewer amenities (beautiful, BTW). There is nothing quite like Columbia in AA but Annapolis has similarities as far as dining and shopping (flagship mall). Many are not fans of Annapolis public schools, however. Odenton/Gambrills/Severn would not be too far from Columbia (Arundel's reputation is much better than schools near Ft. Meade).

What is your budget and where is commute to?
thanks!

We were pre approved for 650k but I don't want to spend that.

More like $545k to $570k, if possible.

I am willing to commute 50 minutes to work.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:04 AM

103 posts, read 183,890 times
I admit that I am a fan of HoCo as well though I've lived in Anne Arundel most of my life.

No area in AA county will have quite the same feel as Northern VA, or Columbia for that matter. For example, Gambrills is spread out in most parts, has some lovely homes, and most shopping would be by Route 3 (Waugh Chapel area). Waugh Chapel is nice, but I'm not a fan of the traffic on Route 3 (more and more housing, but not many alternate routes to get from Bowie to Crofton, Millersville, etc. and lots of stoplights).

I think a "hidden gem" of Anne Arundel is the area by Severna Park/Millersville line (feeds to SP schools) close to East/West Highway and West Pasadena Road. Pretty quick access to Rt. 2, 97, good schools, wooded, and relatively quiet. Remember that BWI airport's flight path may be near but noise isn't terrible.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 AM

318 posts, read 762,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momanager View Post
thanks!

We were pre approved for 650k but I don't want to spend that.

More like $545k to $570k, if possible.

I am willing to commute 50 minutes to work.

Property taxes are also cheaper in Anne Arundel County compared to Howard County FYI.

With that budget I would look at Severna Park, Arnold, Cape St. Claire and Davidsonville and Crownsville. All of those have good schools, close to amenities and are well within your budget. Riva and Edgewater would work too if you don't need a large home or land. All of these areas are majority white but fairly diverse.

Now I don't know if that meets your commuting requirement as I don't know where you are commuting to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland