U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2017, 12:36 PM
 
12 posts, read 14,149 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Salisbury or Fruitland. But some posters here have said people in that area are not welcoming to newcomers in their neighborhood. Especially towards minorities (Asians and Hispanics).

I currently live in NJ but want to move somewhere with a slower pace of life and fresh air for my kids. But not too far from home because my parents are still in NJ.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2017, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Upper Marlboro
767 posts, read 621,716 times
Reputation: 778
Salisbury and Fruitland (and Delmar) are quite accommodating to newcomers, regardless of race. Same with sexual orientation. The areas outside of town are decidedly less welcoming, with a notable exception of Berlin / Ocean City.

Salisbury is very similar to some of the larger towns in South Jersey. Specifically, the Camden neighborhood (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3528.../data=!3m1!1e3) and the areas between Salisbury University and Fruitland (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3330.../data=!3m1!1e3) might feel most welcoming and familiar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2017, 08:21 PM
 
12 posts, read 14,149 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks seanlax, so when you say the areas "outside of town are less welcoming", would you consider this as one of those unwelcoming areas..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cr...!4d-75.6043797

Or is that still part of Fruitland?

If it is, you have me sold MD's eastern shore.

Now I just need to convince my wife, she is reluctant cause her folks and friends are here in NJ. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2017, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Upper Marlboro
767 posts, read 621,716 times
Reputation: 778
Yes, by 'outside of town' I am referring to the 5-6 mile radius from the intersection of US bus 50 and US bus 13 in downtown Salisbury. I wouldn't be worried in a place like the link you provided

But I'm going to stop you right there for a completely unrelated issue:

That lot is adjacent to Morris Mill Pond, a highly unstable and contaminated mill pond that has seen a lot of issues crop up in the past few years. So I'd advise you at least investigate the issue before you look there. You might want to reach out to county officials and read some local news to get a better feel. And its basically the only environmental issue in town, so I don't want to frighten you. (although being from NJ I'm sure you are used to it)

http://www.mde.state.md.us/programs/...ris%20Mill.pdf

'1,000-year storm' ruined houses, lives in Salisbury

Floods cause sinkholes, evacuations on Lower Shore

MDE Discusses Morris Mill Contaminated Water - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,146 posts, read 39,225,649 times
Reputation: 40615
I've kinda been setting back watching the thread unfold.

People in rural areas are generally friendly but guarded until they get to know you and figure out where you're coming from.

Here's how you get on the wrong side:
Complain about how unsophisticated people are.
Complain that you don't have the same things you had where you're coming from. Things like specialty stores, malls, mega grocery stores, fine dining, etc. There's a reason they're not there and it's tied into income and population density.
Don't brag about your education or how much money you used to make.
Keep in mind that at certain times of year you'll hear gunshots. That's because it's hunting season. That beautiful cornfield beside your charming country house may end up having deer stands and goose blinds on it come October. You will see shotguns being carried.
The old guys drinking coffee at the gas station in the morning aren't homeless or vagrants. They're old guys who grew up together, one or two may have moved there, and have been drinking coffee in the morning there for years or at least since they retired. Chances are a couple of them can buy and sell you 5 or 6 times over with their carrying around money.
Be careful who you criticize. Most people are related to or at least grew up with the person you're mad at.
Don't demand things change. You can insinuate yourself but it takes awhile.
Fire departments are volunteers. Throw them $50 when they fund raise.

I mentioned this in your other thread but where you're looking at is probably more rural than you've ever been to let alone lived. If you don't embrace that you will never be happy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 05:49 PM
 
12 posts, read 14,149 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks everyone for your responses. My family and I are Indian Muslims, but I grew up in the US (mostly in NY and NJ), I am looking for somewhere with a slower pace of life for myself and my kids. So we will be different in the Eastern shore, but it sounds like Salisbury and Fruitland are more progressive and so we will be welcome or at least not hated despite our differences. For our part we will try to be the friendliest and nicest of neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 07:31 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,146 posts, read 39,225,649 times
Reputation: 40615
One other thing which you will find different is school systems. In Maryland they're based on Counties not towns. So, while there might be a Fruitland elementary school it's paid for by property taxes from the entire County.

School boards in Maryland don't have any taxing authority and all local school funding comes from County government. So when your tax bill comes from Wicomico County, in Fruitland's case, it includes school taxes. There may be a note on the bill that XX% of the total goes to the school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 09:06 AM
 
5,292 posts, read 5,279,534 times
Reputation: 1100
What part of New Jersey do you hail from?

What makes you think slower pace of living is a better lifestyle?



Quote:
Originally Posted by JehanJaleel View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Salisbury or Fruitland. But some posters here have said people in that area are not welcoming to newcomers in their neighborhood. Especially towards minorities (Asians and Hispanics).

I currently live in NJ but want to move somewhere with a slower pace of life and fresh air for my kids. But not too far from home because my parents are still in NJ.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 09:08 AM
 
5,292 posts, read 5,279,534 times
Reputation: 1100
Ok, but doesn't New Jersey have ONE of the best school systems in the country??! Maryland is close to the top (but you couldn't tell how by the way people think, behave and act in the state!) I actually like how New Jersey names their townships!



Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
One other thing which you will find different is school systems. In Maryland they're based on Counties not towns. So, while there might be a Fruitland elementary school it's paid for by property taxes from the entire County.

School boards in Maryland don't have any taxing authority and all local school funding comes from County government. So when your tax bill comes from Wicomico County, in Fruitland's case, it includes school taxes. There may be a note on the bill that XX% of the total goes to the school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM
 
5,292 posts, read 5,279,534 times
Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Salisbury is very similar to some of the larger towns in South Jersey
*Now, this is a very true statement, but I'm going to take it a bit further in saying they are similar in mindset and thinking as well. Places like Gloucester, NJ, Burlington, and Cumberland have some of the most racist/bigoted people in the state of New Jersey. Salisbury, and the Eastern Shore in general, is infamous for its racism, dim-witted and provincial population.



Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Salisbury and Fruitland (and Delmar) are quite accommodating to newcomers, regardless of race. Same with sexual orientation. The areas outside of town are decidedly less welcoming, with a notable exception of Berlin / Ocean City.

Salisbury is very similar to some of the larger towns in South Jersey. Specifically, the Camden neighborhood (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3528.../data=!3m1!1e3) and the areas between Salisbury University and Fruitland (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3330.../data=!3m1!1e3) might feel most welcoming and familiar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top