Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:07 AM

8 posts, read 70,858 times

Advertisements

You're welcome pokey. I hope you enjoy your new home. I really think you'll like the change from PG county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 06:05 AM

6 posts, read 43,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tounces View Post
You're welcome pokey. I hope you enjoy your new home. I really think you'll like the change from PG county.
Hi Tounces:

Thank you, too Tounces. Can you suggest some nearby malls besides St. Charles Towncenter in Waldorf that is close to where I will be moving to? I noticed on my way back to PGCo. that there is a Pier 1 Imports. Can you suggest other inexpensive stores sort of like Pier 1 Imports or Ikea? I know Ikea is in College Park, MD, but that is a long way from where I will be moving to. I also noticed through my research that there is no Safeway in the area. Did I miss anything? How about some restaurants besides Outback Steakhouse which I do not care too much for? Any Chinese restaurants, etc.?

Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 AM

17 posts, read 71,580 times
Don't know if this will help or not but when we drive down to Lexington Park we have noticed the tremendous growth! There are four good sized shopping centers on the right going south. I would think that you could find almost anything but maybe furniture there! They keep adding to these places!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,460 times
Default Calvert vs. St. Mary's

I realize I'm getting into the discussion (potentially) very late in the game. However, to the question of Huntingtown vs. Leonardtown (high schools), one thing you should absolutely consider is whether or not your husband wants to cross the Solomons (Thomas Johnson) Bridge each day. I would argue that if you don't have to, you shouldn't.

We have lived in St. Mary's County for the last nine years. That bridge has been shut down and/or blocked numerous times. For Calvert residents who need to get to the naval base at Pax River, that means going all the way back up to Prince Frederick and crossing the Patuxent River via the Benedict bridge. Conversely, if you live in St. Mary's and you need to get to Calvert Cliffs and the bridge closes, you have to take that detour.

Bottom line to me: live on the same side of the bridge as where you work.

Regarding the school question, we were in Great Mills for the first 6 years or so. Our kids went to Esperanza Middle School and Great Mills HS. The last two and half years we have been in Leonardtown. We were able to move our two youngest from Great Mills to Leonardtown HS at the beginning of the 2004-2005 school year in anticipation of moving to our new house in November.

Best thing that every happened to my boys, IMHO. The atmosphere was so much better at LHS, due in large part to the principal, Scott Smith. He did a great job, interacted well with the students, and generally kept a really upbeat attitude. He moved on to a desk job for the county school system before the beginning of this past school year. The new guy got hit with several really tough situations (e.g., firing of the football coach for alleged rules violations - VERY unpopular action with the parents) right out of the gate that made his start a rocky one. He had settled in pretty nicely by the end of the school year, though.

Way more info then you were looking for probably...

Old 07-10-2007, 09:03 PM

61 posts, read 122,294 times
Live in Northern Calvert County. Your commute to the plant will be opposite direction of the mad rush northbound in the morning. Northern Calvert is nice, quiet, and the schools are GREAT !! Mt. Harmony Elementary is the BEST Elementary in Calvert County. Was ranked number 10 (June 2007) out of the top 100 Maryland schools reference to Reading and Math Scores. check out Owings.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
Also coming in late but echoing the same thing--avoid that bridge! When it is empty, it's fine, and actually a lovely view, but in traffic, or if there is a jumper, it is a 100% effective roadblock and there simply isn't another option (short of driving 40 miles around to the next bridge up river).

Huntingtown has very good schools (as does most of Calvert) but you have to understand this is a very rural area. There is little in the way of nightlife outside of a few dodgy bars and chain restaurants, and shopping is only done for necessities in county (you goto DC or Annapolis for nice things).

Still, it is very quiet and peaceful at times.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,207 times
We are relocating near the Navel Station there in southern Maryland with our family. Husband and I are seniors and are looking for 2 bedroom mobile home or condo that will except a small dog and is something easy to maintain. Any suggestions?

Old 08-27-2012, 03:36 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
I'm really surprised that none of the other posters here, mentioned the following site Southern Maryland Online™ - Your on-line community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's Counties.™ which has everything you could want to know about the 3-county So.Md. region. Their forums board for advice on resettlement or other regional topics is Life in Southern Maryland - Southern Maryland Community Forums . They get a lot of questions from people resettling to Pax River Naval Air Station (Lexington Park).

I lived in Leonardtown for one year. Their high school is modern and highly-rated, but somewhat over-capacity. Leonardtown has 2 supermarkets, a charming main street, a public swim pool (besides the one in Breton Bay), a small community College, a hospital, Catholic elem. and high schools, and THREE antique car shows annually. The area by Pax River Naval Air Base (Lexington Park, MD) is more urbanized than Leonardtown with more population, department stores, chain restaurants, a little theater, and other amenities, but lower-rated schools such as Great Mills H.S.

Calvert County schools are all excellent-rated - they have 4 public high schools. The average price of housing in southern Calvert County (Lusby, MD area) is HALF that of northern Calvert (I have seen the detailed statistics). "Pokey", if you do not need to commute up to the metro DC area, then you could live for less money in southern Calvert which is where the power plant is located. The largest development there is an older area called "Chesapeake Ranch Estates" (on http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland they abbreviate it as "CRE.")

The towns of Prince Frederick, Lexington Park, and Dunkirk have department stores, however the closest full-fledged Malls are in Annapolis MD and Waldorf MD.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,207 times
Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I'm really surprised that none of the other posters here, mentioned the following site Southern Maryland Onlineâ„¢ - Your on-line community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's Counties.â„¢ which has everything you could want to know about the 3-county So.Md. region. Their forums board for advice on resettlement or other regional topics is Life in Southern Maryland - Southern Maryland Community Forums . They get a lot of questions from people resettling to Pax River Naval Air Station (Lexington Park).

I lived in Leonardtown for one year. Their high school is modern and highly-rated, but somewhat over-capacity. Leonardtown has 2 supermarkets, a charming main street, a public swim pool (besides the one in Breton Bay), a small community College, a hospital, Catholic elem. and high schools, and THREE antique car shows annually. The area by Pax River Naval Air Base (Lexington Park, MD) is more urbanized than Leonardtown with more population, department stores, chain restaurants, a little theater, and other amenities, but lower-rated schools such as Great Mills H.S.

Calvert County schools are all excellent-rated - they have 4 public high schools. The average price of housing in southern Calvert County (Lusby, MD area) is HALF that of northern Calvert (I have seen the detailed statistics). "Pokey", if you do not need to commute up to the metro DC area, then you could live for less money in southern Calvert which is where the power plant is located. The largest development there is an older area called "Chesapeake Ranch Estates" (on Life in Southern Maryland - Southern Maryland Community Forums they abbreviate it as "CRE.")

The towns of Prince Frederick, Lexington Park, and Dunkirk have department stores, however the closest full-fledged Malls are in Annapolis MD and Waldorf MD.
Thank you for the information. It was very helpful.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,339 times
DO NOT MOVE TO NORTH BEACH OR CHESAPEAKE BEACH IF YOU ARE A MINORITY. YOU WILL BE UNJUSTLY TARGETED FOR SPEEDING TICKETS, AND IF YOU TRY TO FIGHT THEM, THE JUDGE WILL IGNORE YOU. THE COP OR TROOPER, IF HE SHOWS UP, READS THE SAME COOKIE CUTTER DEFENSE FROM HIS LAPTOP WHILE HIS PARTNER LAUGHS AT YOU, AND THE JUDGE JUST ACCEPTS HIS STATEMENTS WITH FULL BIAS, AND NO REGARD TOWARD YOU, THE CITIZEN.
I have not only had the displeasure of this experience, but also know for a fact that this is an ongoing injustice. I have witnessed this happen multiple times in district court. The only difference between these revenue generators and the cops in Ferguson is they leave the minorities alive so the city can take your money. After all, these speed cameras will not pay for themselves.

[url=http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0315/board-gives-cops-green-light-on-speed-cams.html]Board gives cops green light on speed cams | thebaynet.com | TheBayNet.com | Articles[/url]

I am thoroughly appalled by this tasteless display of abuse of power, as well as horrid bias, and have since began the process of moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland