Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 6,700 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on Westminster? Type away... It seems close enough to DC and you can get a decent size house for $300K. I won't be commuting to DC for work so that's not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by essay View Post
What are your thoughts on Westminster? Type away... It seems close enough to DC and you can get a decent size house for $300K. I won't be commuting to DC for work so that's not an issue.
Close enough to DC for what?

Old 05-18-2017, 03:26 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Westminster is a Baltimore suburb located 35 miles NW of downtown. It is nowhere near DC.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Westminster is a Baltimore suburb located 35 miles NW of downtown. It is nowhere near DC.
I'll go a step further and say while the area is a bedroom community for Baltimore, Westminster itself is still best thought of as a "big town" with a mostly rural/exurban, conservative outlook and way of life.

Hence my question "close enough to D.C. for what?" If you want to be close enough to day trip in, sure, you are close enough. If you mean close enough to have a vibe or feeling like D.C. and its suburbs, Westminster probably won't scratch your itch.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:18 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
And, of course, officially no longer Western Maryland: Name change is paying off - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

Old 05-18-2017, 06:32 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I'll go a step further and say while the area is a bedroom community for Baltimore, Westminster itself is still best thought of as a "big town" with a mostly rural/exurban, conservative outlook and way of life.

Hence my question "close enough to D.C. for what?" If you want to be close enough to day trip in, sure, you are close enough. If you mean close enough to have a vibe or feeling like D.C. and its suburbs, Westminster probably won't scratch your itch.
I agree that Westminster, and Carroll County for that matter, are very different from the other Baltimore area counties. It almost feels like a county in a Midwestern state. The vibe in Carroll County is very Baltimore.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
And, of course, officially no longer Western Maryland: Name change is paying off - tribunedigital-baltimoresun
I hated that the college was named that, but not located in, Western Maryland. And then I hated it more when the President bashed Western Maryland (the region) during an interview about the name change. So, they probably couldn't win either way.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,700 times
What do you mean by "Midwestern" conservative feel? Is it like Eastern Shore MD or Southern VA? People hang out at Walmart's on Friday nights? Ride the lifted pickup trucks with camouflage seat covers? While that's not my thing I don't mind it.

I just want a nice 3 bedroom house with good schools. In Bethesda that's going to cost me $1M I don't have. In Westminster it's only $300K and I can commute to work to Baltimore fairly easy (I think). I looked on SpotCrime.com and anything in Baltimore or within a 10-20 mile radius of that city is littered with so many crime reports you can't even see the streets through the SpotCrime icons of fists, burglars, spraypaint, knives, guns, etc.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:47 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by essay View Post
What do you mean by "Midwestern" conservative feel? Is it like Eastern Shore MD or Southern VA? People hang out at Walmart's on Friday nights? Ride the lifted pickup trucks with camouflage seat covers? While that's not my thing I don't mind it.

I just want a nice 3 bedroom house with good schools. In Bethesda that's going to cost me $1M I don't have. In Westminster it's only $300K and I can commute to work to Baltimore fairly easy (I think). I looked on SpotCrime.com and anything in Baltimore or within a 10-20 mile radius of that city is littered with so many crime reports you can't even see the streets through the SpotCrime icons of fists, burglars, spraypaint, knives, guns, etc.
Living in Westminster and commuting to Baltimore sounds like a good plan. I too would rather live in Westminster and commute than taking a chance by living close to Baltimore. Mt. Airy or Eldersburg may also be places to check out.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:41 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Depends on where in Baltimore you are commuting to and how long you want to spend commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland