U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 AM

1,765 posts, read 867,558 times

Advertisements

What in your opinion are the most and least conservative Maryland counties? I'm not asking just from voting records, though this is important. I'm asking from your personal observation. And which counties seem the most or least "classest" to you (meaning if you have or don't have money you are treated a certain way.)

Curious to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 08:05 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,274,340 times
Lol! I can't answer this question, because I have my own personal perspective. I know it's going to be fun reading the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
What in your opinion are the most and least conservative Maryland counties? I'm not asking just from voting records, though this is important. I'm asking from your personal observation. And which counties seem the most or least "classest" to you (meaning if you have or don't have money you are treated a certain way.)

Old 05-13-2017, 08:07 AM

1,765 posts, read 867,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Lol! I can't answer this question, because I have my own personal perspective. I know it's going to be fun reading the comments.
That's exactly what I want to hear-- people's personal perspectives! I can find data to back up voting patterns, political party affiliation, ethnic, age and income make up of counties. I want to hear what people's individual opinions and experiences are.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 AM

Ok! Today is my birthday, so I'm doing some stuff. Let me get back with you.

Last edited by Infinite_heights77; 05-13-2017 at 08:56 AM..

Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 AM

4,560 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Most conservative - Garrett County. GOP one party county, consistently 70%+ for GOP candidates in state and national races. Conservative culturally as well with many Mennonites, Amish, and other religious groups. Very anti-Annapolis and opposing of state level power. The least culturally "MD" county.

Carroll is probably next in line, with Allegany and Washington up there as well. Least conservative IMO is probably Montgomery County since they break hard for both the social and fiscal progressive agenda.

Can't answer about "most classest," but I would propose Allegany as among the least classest. Very few folks here have money, and people who are uptight about living and interacting with poor folks don't make it here for long. Local vs. outsider is the dichotomy that matters most here in determining acceptance, not the size of your bank account.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The least culturally "MD" county.
*What do you mean by "least culturally MD county?" I'm sure Garrett County is cultural. It may be not what I would deem, urbanely sophisticated but it has its own pace and cultural importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Most conservative - Garrett County. GOP one party county, consistently 70%+ for GOP candidates in state and national races. Conservative culturally as well with many Mennonites, Amish, and other religious groups. Very anti-Annapolis and opposing of state level power. The least culturally "MD" county.

Carroll is probably next in line, with Allegany and Washington up there as well. Least conservative IMO is probably Montgomery County since they break hard for both the social and fiscal progressive agenda.

Can't answer about "most classest," but I would propose Allegany as among the least classest. Very few folks here have money, and people who are uptight about living and interacting with poor folks don't make it here for long. Local vs. outsider is the dichotomy that matters most here in determining acceptance, not the size of your bank account.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:06 PM

1,563 posts, read 942,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

This is going to be interesting… but montgomery and prince georges is least and washington or frederick and other north counties is more

Old 05-13-2017, 05:49 PM

32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*What do you mean by "least culturally MD county?" I'm sure Garrett County is cultural. It may be not what I would deem, urbanely sophisticated but it has its own pace and cultural importance.
The underlying culture of far western Maryland is Appalachian/Scots-Irish with an overlay of German single mindedness.

Not anything near the Southern ante-bellum attitudes ("we rich and educated people know what's best for you") of the I95 corridor.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:27 PM

4,560 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The underlying culture of far western Maryland is Appalachian/Scots-Irish with an overlay of German single mindedness.

Not anything near the Southern ante-bellum attitudes ("we rich and educated people know what's best for you") of the I95 corridor.
Haha, you have a way with words. Pretty much right on the money.

Another way to think of Garrett County it is when someone says "Maryland" assume the exact opposite characteristics.

- In a very diverse state, Garrett is the most uniformly one race
- In a state known for being reliably Democratic, Garrett is reliably GOP
- In a state known for wealth, Garrett has high rates of income determined poverty (excepting the Lake people, most of whom are non-local)
- In a state with a very long coastline and famous for the Bay, Garrett is the farthest point from the Bay that is still inside the state, and most of the county drains to the Mississippi, not the Atlantic.
- In a state where dem Os and either the Redskins or Ravens are very popular, Garrett is nearly entirely entirely Steelers, Pirates, and Penguin fans.
- In a state with mild winters and low snowfall, Garrett is in the snowbelt and gets 100+ inches per year
- In a state dominated by coastal plains and rolling hills, Garrett is the highest in elevation and very rugged
- Lastly, MD is 2nd most densely populated state, dominated by two big urban centers and their sprawling suburbs, Garrett County is the least densely populated county and nearly entirely rural.

That is the short list of differences. I'll end by saying Garrett County is a different sort of conservative as well. Not just "I would like to pay less in taxes and have more gun rights," but more of the "How dare you tell me what to do with my own land, or legislate how I should feel about issue X." Fiercely independent is the language I would use; a bit like Libertarians, but more rubber meets the road self-sufficient type conservatism.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 PM

667 posts, read 262,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Interesting, I am very much both, and not remotely conservative. Not disagreeing, Just an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or