Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 06:34 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,398,910 times

Advertisements

I know at one time MD was one of 3 state where it was.. But I don't know if that is still the case. I sure hope not, what are they afraid of if they are doing nothing wrong? I thought the whole idea of body cameras was to get the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 10:58 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I know at one time MD was one of 3 state where it was.. But I don't know if that is still the case. I sure hope not, what are they afraid of if they are doing nothing wrong? I thought the whole idea of body cameras was to get the truth.
Sounds like a waste of time to record cops. like who cares? all they can do is take it for evidence something goes sideways lol

since there have been lot of weird questions in the DMV forum.. Im asking one!

Old 05-15-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
Sounds like a waste of time to record cops. like who cares? all they can do is take it for evidence something goes sideways lol

since there have been lot of weird questions in the DMV forum.. Im asking one!
Who cares? Just a hunch but maybe the family of the man in South Carolina who was shot in the back while running away. It resulted in a murder charge against the officer, without the recording the case would have been based on the officer's (false) report. The video exposed the lie, just as videos all over the country are doing.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
It never was illegal. The wiretapping law that Andy Graber was charged with was later declared unconstitutional and stands today as the benchmark in these types of cases.

From Wikipedia:

On July 7, 2010, the Maryland Attorney General Douglas Gansler released an opinion advising a state legislator that, contrary to the claims of Harford County State’s Attorney Joseph Cassilly, a traffic stop is not an instance where a police officer can claim a reasonable expectation of privacy.[5]
On September 27, 2010, criminal charges against Graber were dropped.[6] The court threw out the charge of "recording illegal activity" on the grounds that the law was unconstitutional, noting that "the video taping of public events is protected under the First Amendment."[6] The judge ruled that Maryland's wire tap law does not prohibit recording of voice or sound in areas where privacy cannot be expected and that a police officer on a traffic stop has no legal expectation of privacy.[6] Overall, Harford County Circuit Court Judge Emory A Plitt Jr. dismissed four of the seven charges filed against Anthony Graber, leaving only traffic code violations. [7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Graber

Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Some lady just won $200,000 for recording the police beating down a guy and destroying her phone. Im going to be recording everything.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,608 times
Quote:
Who cares? Just a hunch but maybe the family of the man in South Carolina who was shot in the back while running away. It resulted in a murder charge against the officer, without the recording the case would have been based on the officer's (false) report. The video exposed the lie, just as videos all over the country are doing.
yah well I'm not getting shot by cops or even have any dealings with them really. so yah I'm hip.

if i get pulled over for speeding. I'm not wasting my time taping the cop for attention! I'm driving off!!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:26 AM

1,665 posts, read 973,674 times
Well if you comply and treat the cops how you want to be treated, with respect I'm sure, then you shouldn't have to worry about recording the police. And if you do record, it's freedom of the press. So I've heard. But if you antagonize the police and then start recording their actions, shame on you. Why don't you record yourself antagonizing the officer(s) and show why the cops are "harassing" you.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 AM

What in the world is up with these responses? I certainly was not talking about recording the police as they confronted me and I sure wasn't talking about antagonizing the police, then recording their reaction. I totally believe that you increase your odds considerably if you treat the officer with respect and that's what I've always done. As an old white guy I really don't have to worry too much about being treated fairly.

As my example clearly showed I was talking about recording officers as they confronted others. I don't plan on it happened, since it's never happened before in my 58 years, but if I did come across something I'd like to know if I could record without legal recourse. That ruling above was from 2010, I thought I had read something more recent about Maryland being only one of 3 states where it was illegal. It wasn't clear in my search which is why I came here for help, not a lecture on treating officers with respect because I got that already.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 05-18-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-18-2017, 12:34 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,254,667 times
My understanding is that the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that anything that can be seen or heard from a point of public access is subject to being recorded.

No expectation of privacy in public.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:54 AM

1,665 posts, read 973,674 times
Quote:
What in the world is up with these responses? I certainly was not talking about recording the police as they confronted me and I sure wasn't talking about antagonizing the police, then recording their reaction. I totally believe that you increase your odds considerably if you treat the officer with respect and that's what I've always done. As an old white guy I really don't have to worry too much about being treated fairly.

As my example clearly showed I was talking about recording officers as they confronted others. I don't plan on it happened, since it's never happened before in my 58 years, but if I did come across something I'd like to know if I could record without legal recourse. That ruling above was from 2010, I thought I had read something more recent about Maryland being only one of 3 states where it was illegal. It wasn't clear in my search which is why I came here for help, not a lecture on treating officers with respect because I got that already.

Well you should have explained your post more in your first post. I was merely giving advice, well, my 2¢. Good day to you, sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland