U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 05:28 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by essay View Post
What do you mean by "Midwestern" conservative feel? Is it like Eastern Shore MD or Southern VA? People hang out at Walmart's on Friday nights? Ride the lifted pickup trucks with camouflage seat covers? While that's not my thing I don't mind it.

I just want a nice 3 bedroom house with good schools. In Bethesda that's going to cost me $1M I don't have. In Westminster it's only $300K and I can commute to work to Baltimore fairly easy (I think). I looked on SpotCrime.com and anything in Baltimore or within a 10-20 mile radius of that city is littered with so many crime reports you can't even see the streets through the SpotCrime icons of fists, burglars, spraypaint, knives, guns, etc.
It is farm rural in mentality with some exurban "last one in shuts the gate on everyone else" rural mixed in. I've never been to the midwest, except OH, so I am not sure exactly what that poster was referring to.

I would say an easier local comp is that Westminster is more like the rural parts of the piedmont counties (York, Lancaster) of PA to their north than they are like the Eastern Shore or VA. Not a very "Southern feel" IMO, but still rural and politically conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 AM

9,409 posts, read 5,206,233 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. Having grown up in Bethesda I can tell you Westminster is great but nothing like Bethesda obviously. I like it because it's a very nice small town but large enough to have everything you need and close enough to Baltimore for big city stuff. Yet it's also countryside not far away. I would think this would be an excellent choice if your commute is Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland