U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 09:36 AM

880 posts, read 465,556 times

Advertisements

Considering a potential move to MD for new job in the Financial sector.

A recruiter is trying to sell me on this location and another role in DE, which I am researching separately and in parallel.

Am totally new to this location and this is the beginning of my research.

Married couple w/o children, late middle-age, rent first, prefer location where there is some public transport and walkability, most of all must be safe. We've lived in big cities and overseas and are currently in Raleigh.

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 09:49 AM

26,879 posts, read 57,977,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Where to live if working in Owing Mills
drumroll......... Owings Mills.

There's a wide variety of housing stock in the area.
her's a nice one:
Ray Lewis' Owings Mills home for sale [Pictures] - Baltimore Sun

Old 06-09-2017, 10:44 AM

880 posts, read 465,556 times
ugh, can't fix thread title typos....

Old 06-09-2017, 01:16 PM

90 posts, read 66,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Considering a potential move to MD for new job in the Financial sector.

A recruiter is trying to sell me on this location and another role in DE, which I am researching separately and in parallel.

Am totally new to this location and this is the beginning of my research.

Married couple w/o children, late middle-age, rent first, prefer location where there is some public transport and walkability, most of all must be safe. We've lived in big cities and overseas and are currently in Raleigh.

Any input is appreciated.
As Rational stated, Owings Mills is a fine place to live - it recently got a Wegmans, too

Reisterstown is a little more affordable (gets towards more rural areas) and Pikesville is the opposite but also nice. Timonium is a bit further away but will give you plenty of housing options too. You could even live in Mt. Washington (Baltimore City) which IMO is the most quaint of the options I've listed. Of course, it also has a price tag and when you decide to buy, by far the highest property tax rate (a house inside the city may seem like a bargain compared to a county house; you must factor in taxes!).

There is an MTA in Owings Mills which can take you to downtown Baltimore; the light rail has stops in Timonium, Mount Washington, among others.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,342,434 times
We looked all over the area when moving here, and settled on Pikesville, especially on the metro side of Reisterstown Road. Nice, yet relatively inexpensive places for sale in the Ralston neighborhood and it's an easy commute to Owings Mills (we have a roommate who works at the Audi dealership there). The state police and county substation are right there, too, and it's a very safe area (my car is unlocked all the time and it's been fine for the last 16 years). Great schools, too, with Sudbrook Middle Magnet and Pikesville High. My son went to both. Walkable (we walk from the house to the metro station where we can either go up to the Owings Mills stop or downtown Baltimore)

Old 07-02-2017, 10:45 PM

11 posts, read 12,051 times
Not sure what kind of commute you are looking for, but if it were me, I would accept a short commute and look in Carroll County. Eldersburg, Sykesville, Westminister maybe.

From your question though, there is nothing wrong with Owings Mills or very nearby in Reisterstown or Glyndon. All area affordable, all would offer easy transportation, plenty of shopping. Not sure if children are in the future, but personally I would look towards Carroll County for the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland