U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 996 times

Advertisements

Our family just relocated to Maryland. My husband is working in D.C. and I'm working in Baltimore. We're looking at houses in Howard County, and nail down to two choices: Clarksville and rural west, specifically Woodbine (the section that belongs to HC). We know these two places are very different. For the same amount of money, we can get a bigger house and land in Woodbine. But Woodbine seems like a food dessert, for grocery shopping and restaurant you will have to go to EC. My question is how is the commute like in the morning going to D.C. and Baltimore? And anyone has any insight about Woodbine? Thank you very much for all your information.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:29 PM

9,405 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Too funny, our address is Mt Airy but we live in Woodbine, 1/2 mile from Woodbine road just over the stream that seperates the counties, we are in Carroll County and I'm happy as the taxes are lower. We have lived here for 14 years. Here's what I can tell you:

As you know Woodbine is very small, so yes it is a "food desert". But Mt Airy is 6 miles away and there are several restaurants there including a few good Italian places with good pizza etc, real restaurants not Dominoes. Ellicott City is maybe 20 minutes with other options, Frederick is maybe 25 with more. But to be honest when we retire I am kind of looking forward to moving where there are more restaurant options.

Back to Woodbine just north of Int 70 there is a Food Lion for local groceries as well as an OK Chinese, a Subway, McDonald's, liquor store and a few other places of basic necessity such as a Post Office. I do 90% of my grocery shopping at Food Lion because it's less expensive and close. It has most everything you need but for more choices such as a salad bar there is a Safeway or a Weiss in Mt Airy. Interesting enough at a gas station there used to be a really good place to eat, locals flocked there. I used to say it's the best food you will ever have from a place with a sign out front saying "Live Bait". But alas they moved to a larger location in Ellicott City I believe and the new place, The Grill, is not nearly as good.

So those are the only negatives, on the positive side homes are much less expensive, there is virtually no crime (we have never locked our doors) people are nice and friendly and the area is beautiful. One of the best decisions we ever made was moving here.

Now for the commute: good news and bad. Baltimore is easy, it's a straight shot right down Int 70. It will back up in the morning but there are options to work around that. DC on the other hand is a problem. There is no good north/south highway leading in to DC. The best move is to drive to the Shady Grove subway (exactly 40 minutes in the morning, I used to work very near the subway station) and then take the train into DC which may be another 40 minutes. Your commute will be fine, you husband's will suck.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-27-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Reading your post again I would think Clarksville would be more of a food desert. There is no doubt more options in Clarksville than Woodbine but as I said Mt. Airy is 10 minutes away, not sure Clarksville will offer you the same opportunity to find other options so close. I know this as Clarksville was one of the first places we considered before we moved here.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:22 PM

96 posts, read 68,297 times
I am in the Howard County section of Mt Airy - use the Woodbine exit off I 70 to get to my house. I agree with everything Dave said. Restaurants in EC are only 20 minutes away.
Clarksville will give you quicker access to restaurants in Columbia and possible commute to DC if Rt 29 is an option. But one thing must be acceptable to people who live here - you will spend time commuting, be it to work, the mall, private school (if you choose to use them), concerts, etc. When the kids were young and into activities I swear we lived in the car some days.

We moved out here 30 years ago from EC and have never regretted it.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:14 AM

Please look at the restaurant list for Mt Airy, there are probably 20-30 ranging from IHOP to taverns to a few medium/high end places. It lacks ethnic foods, Italian, Chinese and Mexican is about it. That's when I go to EC which offers Thai, Japanese or Ethiopean. You gotta try Ethiopean food regardless of where you move.

Another advantage to this area is the proximity to Int 70 means with the exception of getting to DC you can anywhere faster. This can not be overstated. Living in a place like Clarksville, where it is 20 minutes before you can get to a major highway, adds 20 minutes to your trip.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 996 times
Thank you DaveinMtAiry and HoCoMom. I now have a better idea of Woodbine area. We will keep Woodbine on our list.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:02 AM

Happy to help, let us know if you have more questions. Happy to meet for lunch if it can be arranged, I work from home so if you guys are in the area and want more details we can always meet somewhere.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:04 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,593,766 times
Everyone else above has you covered with food, shopping, ect. Honestly, I don't know that I'd consider Woodbine if working in D.C. That is going to be a hellacious commute. I'm thinking 1.5 hours in rush hour. But hey, only you all know your tolerance for that. Baltimore would be better; probably under an hour I think. I'm in the north part of Ellicott City so it takes me about 25 minutes on a good day to get downtown. Clarksville is getting a new shopping center with some great restaurants (local brewer is opening a place over there) so it won't be a dessert for long. I know Clarksville is pricer but it would be a better location to split your commute. Just FYI, the Howard County schools have just released their feasibility study and will be redistricting the schools throughout the county effective 2018-2019 school year. Let me know if you need help finding the link to see how/if any areas you're considering may be affected if you have kids in schools. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland