U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:42 PM

33,316 posts, read 14,541,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
After being a near life-long resident and finally leaving the state that is one of the few things I miss. Along with Wawa and Ledo pizza.
"Along with Wawa and Ledo pizza"

North Myrtle Beach, SC has just opened a Lido's.

There has been an ad for someone to open a Green Turtle also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 02:32 PM

3,045 posts, read 2,883,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
i can live without crab cakes. anyone can.
I "can" but choose not to. I moved from Baltimore to Texas a couple of years back and I miss two things; steamed crabs and GOOD crabcakes. So, now I order them from Pappa's and have them shipped So worth it.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:41 PM

9,411 posts, read 5,206,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I "can" but choose not to. I moved from Baltimore to Texas a couple of years back and I miss two things; steamed crabs and GOOD crabcakes. So, now I order them from Pappa's and have them shipped So worth it.
I'm not familiar with Pappa's but I am familiar with G & M and IMO they have the best crab cakes I have ever eaten. And they ship as well.

https://gandmcrabcakes.com

Old 07-04-2017, 04:47 PM

32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times
I'm sorta surprised you guys said WaWa, since it's a PA company, instead of Royal Farms.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:38 PM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Good crab cakes CAN be found in places other then MD.
No they can't.

I have a local contact bringing me fresh caught Kent Island soft shell's.
All I need now is some good seeded rye bread for the sandwiches

Old 07-05-2017, 09:56 AM

905 posts, read 2,216,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Along with Wawa and Ledo pizza"

North Myrtle Beach, SC has just opened a Lido's.

There has been an ad for someone to open a Green Turtle also.
Myrtle Beach seems to have some weird MD fetish going on. They have the "MD fried chicken" place, some MD seafood place that I thought was ok and now a Ledos.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:14 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,723,490 times
Funny, up to about 2000 or so, all my travels up and down the east coast I could not eat crabcakes other then in the Delmarva area. I would occasionally try one, but they just didn't hit it for me. Perhaps it was because they called them MD crabcakes (but had peppers and other weird things that aren't in MD style cakes). They could have called them NC crabcakes, FL crabcakes, SC crabcakes, etc... and they would have been fine because I like trying local flavors.

Now, since about 2000 or so, I have noticed a change. More restaurants up and down the coast are offering tasty MD style crabcakes that rival many here on the eastern shore. I mean jumbo lump with very little filler etc... I don't know but I wonder if the internet has added to this. Just look up a recipe and you got it. Now I can get NC style BBQ outside of NC and other tasty local flavors in other states that was impossible in the early 90's.

And if you can't find a crabcake worth having but you can get local crabs, make em yourself. Many of our "MD" crabs are from NC and LA. How else can they keep up with a growing demand and wintertime cravings.

I'll never forget working on a boat in Venezuela in the early 2000's. When I had to leave the country for a few days because of visa requirements I would always return with a couple pounds of crabmeat and a few qts of oysters. We were already hooked up by a local waterman with some softcrabs that we took in our freezer. There we could have a little taste of home when the mood hit us!

Old 07-09-2017, 06:49 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,766,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
Sounds silly but I'd miss snowballs. I know other areas have them but they're just a different type of ice. However, I wouldn't miss the taxes. LOL
Try a Hawaiian Shaved Ice, in Hawaii. Every time we see a stand that advertises shaved ice here in MD, it is nothing but the usual ground ice snowball. Closest we have found so far is a stand by the pool in a campground in Myrtle Beach (Ocean Lakes).

If I needed to work(just retired), I would open a stand myself.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:51 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,766,928 times
Quote:
Some people believe they might live longer not eating them.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 AM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
But what kind of life would that be?

What I really want is a broiled Rockfish Imperial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or