Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:43 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times

Advertisements

You live in a liberal run, high tax state, and in a county that prides itself in being a sanctuary county. You have two choices. Move or vote Republican and hope enough other people feel the same way you do. Note: Only one of the above choices is a choice that you alone have control over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 03:35 PM

155 posts, read 205,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
move out of moco and get used to it. its the life
I am thinking bout moving in to frederick county but how do I get a house without down payment though? I have never moved before by myself so I am counfused on what to do because the houses I want to look at is below 370k in frederick county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Why do you claim zero allowances? You're simply giving Uncle Sam an interest-free loan before receiving a large check back in April. Much of the rest you'll receive back in SS and Medicare benefits.

No one making $50K in the U.S./MD/MoCo should be complaining about taxes. You're paying far below the mean tax bill at every level of government. Definitionally, you're not carrying your own weight. Which isn't problematic, except that you're complaining about it. You're making us Millennials look bad.
I have never applied for SSI and I can't even do medicare because I make above what is needed which is below 25k I think if your single. I hate paying for all those money moochers that get it for free because they play the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You live in a liberal run, high tax state, and in a county that prides itself in being a sanctuary county. You have two choices. Move or vote Republican and hope enough other people feel the same way you do. Note: Only one of the above choices is a choice that you alone have control over.
I was thinking bout moving to frederick because I heard its a little better but not by much so that true?

Old 07-09-2017, 05:50 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
I am thinking bout moving in to frederick county but how do I get a house without down payment though? I have never moved before by myself so I am counfused on what to do because the houses I want to look at is below 370k in frederick county.
I have never applied for SSI and I can't even do medicare because I make above what is needed which is below 25k I think if your single. I hate paying for all those money moochers that get it for free because they play the government.

I was thinking bout moving to frederick because I heard its a little better but not by much so that true?
Why do you think that as soon as you have a job you should be able to buy a house with no money down? Start saving, build a track record of repaying debts and eventually you will be able to buy a house. My son was able to buy a condo with no money down because he qualified as a veteran. That cost him 8 years of hard work being sent to the big sand box a couple times and having several short deployments to hot muggy, sticky, green areas. As far as getting back money from Medicare and Social Security they meant far off in the future when you have contributed for many years and and get thrown out of the active job market because you are old and they can hire younger people cheaper. (It is also why you need to be saving money for retirement now)

But you should be taking an appropriate number of deductions so that at the end of the year your tax withholding is aproximitely neutral. I suggested that my children have it so that they get at the most a couple hundred back. I even have offered them temporary funding if they are a couple hundred in the hole at the end of the year. The idea is to be at a $0 refund at tax time.

Yes it is cheaper in Frederick, but you have to put up with the increased commuting cost (both dollars and time). Welcome to the real world.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:59 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
?
Now I know you're trolling, "helpmeout." Even the dumbest 23 year old isn't ignorant enough to conflate Social Security w/SSI and Medicare w/Medicaid. Nice try, though.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:59 PM

155 posts, read 205,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Why do you think that as soon as you have a job you should be able to buy a house with no money down? Start saving, build a track record of repaying debts and eventually you will be able to buy a house. My son was able to buy a condo with no money down because he qualified as a veteran. That cost him 8 years of hard work being sent to the big sand box a couple times and having several short deployments to hot muggy, sticky, green areas. As far as getting back money from Medicare and Social Security they meant far off in the future when you have contributed for many years and and get thrown out of the active job market because you are old and they can hire younger people cheaper. (It is also why you need to be saving money for retirement now)

But you should be taking an appropriate number of deductions so that at the end of the year your tax withholding is aproximitely neutral. I suggested that my children have it so that they get at the most a couple hundred back. I even have offered them temporary funding if they are a couple hundred in the hole at the end of the year. The idea is to be at a $0 refund at tax time.

Yes it is cheaper in Frederick, but you have to put up with the increased commuting cost (both dollars and time). Welcome to the real world.
I have been with that company since 2016 and a similar company since 2015 so this is not my 1st job. I have work 4 other jobs before I picked this one. I started working at 2012(i was 18) at a nursing home washing dishes earning $9 an hr. I do have 401k and benefits (which is like 258.85 for health care) a month.
Quote:
Now I know you're trolling, "helpmeout." Even the dumbest 23 year old isn't ignorant enough to conflate Social Security w/SSI and Medicare w/Medicaid. Nice try, though.
Why is it funny to lose money that I worked for to give it away? Isn't medicaid and medicare the same thing? All I know is I got blue cross blue shield as my insurance.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
...Why is it funny to lose money that I worked for to give it away? Isn't medicaid and medicare the same thing? All I know is I got blue cross blue shield as my insurance.
Try to look at it this way: You're living in a society that demands things that cost money -- public roads, schools, law enforcement, fire protection, hospitals, an army and a hundred other things that cost a lot of money. You've likely already used $100K worth of free public schools. When you get that paid back, start paying for the roads you've been using. Etc.

Medicaid is free medical "insurance" provided for those with low incomes, mostly for kids in low income families. Medicare is what you're paying for directly out of your paycheck to help cover your health insurance needs after reaching age 65. Actually, you're paying for mine now, just as I've paid for elders for decades. When you qualify for Medicare (currently age 65), others younger than you will still be paying into your pot. At least that's how it was designed. It's not insurance that covers everything, in fact, I pay an additional ~$500 per month to make it decent insurance. On top of that, medical providers have to charge less for those on Medicare.

You're also paying into Social Security. It'll provide some income when you're ready to retire, and just like Medicare, the younger folks are expected to pay into it now for me, just as I did for the old folks my whole life. And still do, but now I get more back every month than what I pay in.

Taxes are pretty low now, much lower than they were a few decades ago. For a year or two I was paying ~75% of my (top) income to federal income tax. (Not ALL my income was taxed at that rate, just the upper end, like December's income.) At that rate you don't feel much like working that last month! That's too high. I bought a bunch of real estate to spread out my income tax load. That wasn't a good idea either. In the long run, I lost money on much of that real estate.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
here is the personal finance forum (the more appropriate place) - http://www.city-data.com/forum/personal-finance/

Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,103 times
Quote:
I have been with that company since 2016 and a similar company since 2015 so this is not my 1st job. I have work 4 other jobs before I picked this one. I started working at 2012(i was 18) at a nursing home washing dishes earning $9 an hr. I do have 401k and benefits (which is like 258.85 for health care) a month.

Why is it funny to lose money that I worked for to give it away? Isn't medicaid and medicare the same thing? All I know is I got blue cross blue shield as my insurance.
You been given great advice just listen to it or do ur own thing but nobody gets special treatment on taxes. You don't know anything abt life and they telling you since u asked. And lol @ the last part. No we all have to pay the gov.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:42 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,103 times
Quote:
tbh some ppl really don't get it

Old 07-10-2017, 03:45 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
You aren't 'giving it away' Drive down to DC and look at the quote engraved on the front of the IRS building. I'll save you a trip - "Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society" - Oliver Wendall Holmes

How do you think roads get built, fires get put out, weather information gets collected, borders are protected, etc, etc. If you have been working since you were 18 why are you surprised now? And no Medicaid and Medicare are NOT the same thing they are very different. With all the talk about healthcare on the news I would think that was common knowledge. Or maybe it isn't worth your time to stay informed about topics (like taxes) that affect your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: