U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 10:40 PM

11 posts, read 12,037 times

Advertisements

I am hoping this is allowed here. I am looking for a real estate agent who has experience in the Howard County and Carroll County area. Also to be more specific, my wife and I will be looking for a home in need of a full or majority remodel and would like a real estate agent who has experience with homes in this condition with those plans. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Our past real estate agent left much to be desired, to include essentially advising that this was near impossible without all money upfront. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 07:46 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,594,326 times
Are you familiar with 203k loans? Assuming you're not a cash buyer, that might be a good path for you.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 AM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tike1206 View Post
...my wife and I will be looking for a home in need of a full or majority remodel
...Our past real estate agent advising that this was near impossible without all money upfront.
Did that agent not explain why?
Most of it is about having to compete with experienced pro's who DO have the cash.
(and the staff and the trade licenses and the materials contacts and all the rest)

Old 07-03-2017, 10:08 AM

Well we did not ask too many questions as we were not incredibly interested for our first home. For round two we have more interest, and I just remember she was not exactly current on those topics.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:13 PM

32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times
You're not looking for a "remodel" so much, it sounds like, but a fixer upper. There are a variety of loan programs for those, one has been mentioned.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 AM

No we are looking for a remodel. I am looking to buy something along the lines of an early 1900's built residence and fully remodel the home.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:05 AM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're not looking for a "remodel" so much, it sounds like, but a fixer upper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tike1206 View Post
No we are looking for a (house that we can) remodel.
I am looking to buy something along the lines of an early 1900's built residence
and (then to) fully remodel the home (how we want).
That's called a fixer upper.
A remodel(ed) house, too often a flip (a whole other set of problems), already has that work done.

Those homes in the countryside or even older developed areas that need a full remodel are often on large lots too.
Many of these (most?) will end up being torn down with that lot used to construct a McMansion or two regular homes.
These buyers are even more difficult to compete with that the pro remodelers.
---

Or... if you're really loaded, you might find one of those 100 year old homes that has been well maintained
over the course of the CENTURY and doesn't really need anything -- and then go about remodeling it.
But those properties are a) even more rare and b) very expensive.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-05-2017 at 05:13 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 AM

Well then, I suppose I stand corrected and fixer upper is the phrase.

Any agent suggestions?

Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,594,326 times
I think what you really need is a good home inspector and/or general contractor that you trust to give you ballpark ideas of what certain renovations might cost. Because ultimately I'm guessing your biggest concern is the condition of the property and the value of the renovations. Additionally, you'd benefit from a consultation with a loan officer to advise you about renovation loan options. I can recommend some guys to you, but you'll have to pm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or