Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 AM

51 posts, read 119,880 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are going to be moving to Maryland very soon for my husband's new position at the Navy Yard. We have been looking into Crofton for the good schools, but I'm wondering if there is somewhere else that we can look as well. I see that there are mixed reviews about Bowie, but it seems like a good location. Are there safer areas to look into? We are coming from Fredericksburg, VA and we aren't familiar with MD suburbs. My husband would actually prefer a 30 minute commute distance as well and it doesn't look like Crofton would fit this criteria. So basically we are looking for good public schools (elementary, middle) and nice family friendly neighborhoods. We also want a 30 minute commute (or possibly 45 if we have to) to the DC Navy Yard. Our budget is 450,000 and we would prefer a single family home but would settle for a townhome. I was also looking into Silver Spring and I see that information about the Four Corners area keeps popping up. Is there anywhere else that we should be looking? Do these areas fit out needs?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 03:17 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
I'd be happy to help but please keep in mind we get one of these threads monthly and it becomes repetitive. A quick answer is 4 corners of Silver Spring is fine, perfectly safe and with a lot of older homes. Not sure it's in your budget. I spent a lot of time in SS and it's totally different, in a good way, from the way it was. The downtown area is really revitalized and if you are a city person I'd consider that too perhaps. Crofton is fine but again may be too far.

Will your husband be taking the train or driving? From what I know Bowie is mostly safe but I can't believe it's close to 30 minutes. Essentially steer clear of Prince George's County other than Bowie because of the schools, many undesirable areas in PG County.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:25 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I have been searching the boards for a few weeks and I haven't really found any posts similar to what we were looking for with many answers. So I figured it would make more sense to post a more relevant question. I know these places aren't necessarily thirty minutes away, but something close to it would be nice. It seemed like the drive from Bowie would be like 45 minutes or so? He could also take public transportation as well. Whatever is quicker, easier .

We were also thinking of sending our daughter to private school. If we did this, would Bowie become a more livable area? Is it just the schools that aren't good or is it generally just not family friendly/safe?

Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2017, 05:16 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Private schools may be very expensive. I'm actually not sure about the schools in Bowie, you may want to research that. If they pass the test that would be a pretty good spot. I know a few people form Bowie and they did just fine.

I just hope you get more help. As I said we see similar threads here often and people tend to tire of them. Me? I love giving strangers live changing advice.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:49 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljdw View Post
I know these places aren't necessarily thirty minutes away, but something close to it would be nice. It seemed like the drive from Bowie would be like 45 minutes or so? He could also take public transportation as well.
This question needs more detail, like whether the husband will have a guaranteed parking place at the Navy Yard. It also helps to know the ages of any children.

Otherwise, here are my comments:

1. The shortest commute would be from the District. Areas like Glover Park and American University Park have decent public schools, but you would have to compromise on housing.

2. I suggest a close-in suburb like Four Corners, College Park, Takoma Park, etc. Perhaps the family should rent for a couple years to determine where they really want to be. I think 45 minutes door-to-door is a more realistic expectation. That accounts for walking to the office from the metro stop.

3. If there is no parking place, commuting from Crofton would be an hour and 20 minutes by public transportation. I consider that unreasonable. The husband might research car-pools if the family still wants to live in Crofton.

4. Bowie is probably safe, but I don't have personal experience. It has some well-rated schools at the Elementary level. The commute is an hour and 17 minutes by public transportation, which is pretty bad.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:50 PM

I had no idea Crofton and Bowie were that far away from The Navy Yard. If that is the case, then he definitely will not want to live there. I will have to find out more about if he has a parking space or not. We have a daughter who will be in 4th grade. So we are looking for a good elementary school that feeds into a good middle school. I will look into the suggestions that you gave for closer in suburbs. Thanks so much!

Old 08-16-2017, 12:21 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljdw View Post
I will have to find out more about if he has a parking space or not.
When I worked there the only people who had parking were management-track GS-13 or above. I believe that now car-poolers can get parking. Otherwise, it is a major hassle to find nearby commercial parking.

I would add Greenbelt to the list of places to look at for housing.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-16-2017 at 12:39 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 07:03 AM

103 posts, read 183,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
This question needs more detail, like whether the husband will have a guaranteed parking place at the Navy Yard. It also helps to know the ages of any children.

Otherwise, here are my comments:

1. The shortest commute would be from the District. Areas like Glover Park and American University Park have decent public schools, but you would have to compromise on housing.

2. I suggest a close-in suburb like Four Corners, College Park, Takoma Park, etc. Perhaps the family should rent for a couple years to determine where they really want to be. I think 45 minutes door-to-door is a more realistic expectation. That accounts for walking to the office from the metro stop.

3. If there is no parking place, commuting from Crofton would be an hour and 20 minutes by public transportation. I consider that unreasonable. The husband might research car-pools if the family still wants to live in Crofton.

4. Bowie is probably safe, but I don't have personal experience. It has some well-rated schools at the Elementary level. The commute is an hour and 17 minutes by public transportation, which is pretty bad.
This is an accurate and realistic description. I know Arlington is $$$$ but it seems living there could cut down on commute big time.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
When I worked there the only people who had parking were management-track GS-13 or above. I believe that now car-poolers can get parking. Otherwise, it is a major hassle to find nearby commercial parking.

I would add Greenbelt to the list of places to look at for housing.
Thank you! I will research this area. He will have parking, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make as far as times.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDaaCo View Post
This is an accurate and realistic description. I know Arlington is $$$$ but it seems living there could cut down on commute big time.
Yes, it definitely seems so. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland