Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:36 PM

182 posts, read 247,607 times

Advertisements

Like many here in MD/DC and across the USA we been dealing with the horrors of this Bush/Obama era Next Gen Navigation system that was crammed down our throats by the FAA and causing to much aircraft noise in and around AA County, DC ,and Howard County. I'm down around Crownsville and its much worse then when I first moved here in 2009. There are a few groups in MD fighting this, and all the MD politicians said they are on board with fighting the FAA to go back the original flight paths. Even Gov Hogan has said asked his AG to file suit in court, but to this day it seems worse then before and nothing yet from the MD AG, so does anyone have any info on the lawsuit? I been emailing and calling Annapolis and the MD political offices and all you get is kind of lip service "that helps on the way" but nothing so far. I hope relief comes soon here! I encourage anyone effected to make your voice heard. I know out in Arizona a lawsuit was filed and the judge ordered the FAA to revert back to its original flight paths, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 04:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
Like many here in MD/DC and across the USA we been dealing with the Next Gen
Navigation system... causing to much aircraft noise ....
How does a navigation system create noise?

Quote:
....in Arizona ... to revert back to its original flight paths
The world has experienced a 5fold (465M to 5000M flights) increase in air traffic since 1970.
Care to explore the accident comparo's since the changes?

Old 11-14-2017, 04:34 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
This thread reminds me of the people down here who buy a house on the Bay at 2 ft. above mean high tide and then complain about flooding. They also complain about the watermen's boats being ugly.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
The Maryland Aviation Administration put on an open house about this, not too long ago. They had maps showing where the flight paths used to be, where they are now, and how the new plan supposedly increases airway capacity. It seemed to make sense to me.

When I moved to Maryland in 1994, Southwest had just started service here the year before, with something like 5 daily flights. What are they up to now? 200? Something like that. In any case, all those planes have to go somewhere. Some of them go over my house, sometimes surprisingly low. Yeah, it's loud. But that's life.

Another thing. Next time you hear a plane, look up. If it's long and skinny and has two engines mounted near the tail, odds are it's an MD-80. Those suckers are LOUD and you can hear them a long way off. But if it's not as long and slightly less skinny and has one engine under each wing, odds are it's a 737. Those things are much quieter. The fact is, jet planes are getting quieter, and the particularly loud ones are slowly being phased out.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How does a navigation system create noise?

The world has experienced a 5fold (465M to 5000M flights) increase in air traffic since 1970.
Care to explore the accident comparo's since the changes?

Well .. its like this! Because its satellite based navigation, it causes jet to fly a lot lower without the need for air traffic controllers to guide them in on a course after they get X close to the runway.The flight paths are more erratic too. It means much more noise for communities that are 18 plus miles away from BWI and other airports though out the country. The AG of Maryland is going to file suit very soon from what I was told today from my state Senators office.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 PM

[quote=bus man;50123886]The Maryland Aviation Administration put on an open house about this, not too long ago. They had maps showing where the flight paths used to be, where they are now, and how the new plan supposedly increases airway capacity. It seemed to make sense to me.

When I moved to Maryland in 1994, Southwest had just started service here the year before, with something like 5 daily flights. What are they up to now? 200? Something like that. In any case, all those planes have to go somewhere. Some of them go over my house, sometimes surprisingly low. Yeah, it's loud. But that's life.

Another thing. Next time you hear a plane, look up. If it's long and skinny and has two engines mounted near the tail, odds are it's an MD-80. Those suckers are LOUD and you can hear them a long way off. But if it's not as long and slightly less skinny and has one engine under each wing, odds are it's a 737. Those things are much quieter. The fact is, jet planes are getting quieter, and the particularly loud ones are slowly being phased out.[/quot

Yea its loud and will get changed back after a court fight!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This thread reminds me of the people down here who buy a house on the Bay at 2 ft. above mean high tide and then complain about flooding. They also complain about the watermen's boats being ugly.

Hey my man, not the same as your people down who buy homes close to the water and complain. Most people been living here for 50 plus years and all the sudden they have air craft appearing so close they can see the bolts on the wheels with the noise to go with it, so not the same, and by the way your boats are ugly;they should complain! I thought the real water man were on the Eastern Shore anyway.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Because its satellite based navigation, it (has the effect of allowing) jets to fly a lot lower without
the need for air traffic controllers to guide them in on a course after they get X close to the runway.
What other effects does the shift from radar (and manual ATC) have?

Old 11-15-2017, 06:35 AM

789 posts, read 1,095,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The same people buy a house 15 minutes outside of Salisbury and complain of chicken manure smells. Thank goodness for Maryland's Right To Farm Law, protect people from these ridiculous complains and any associated lawsuits.

Look, I'm not saying I lack empathy for those dealing with aircraft noise; I absolutely understand. It sucks. The aviation administration/airlines/airport should absolutely provide free mitigation (sound-proofing windows, doors and insulation) for residents when flight paths are changed.

But at the same time, when you purchase a house a couple of miles from a growing airport in a growing metropolitan area, aligned with runways that have either existed or been planned for over 50 years, well I'm not sure if I share the perspective of the complainants.

It would be like me complaining that its too windy and there are too many tourists here.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Hey my man, not the same as your people down who buy homes close to the water and complain. Most people been living here for 50 plus years and all the sudden they have air craft appearing so close they can see the bolts on the wheels with the noise to go with it, so not the same, and by the way your boats are ugly;they should complain! I thought the real water man were on the Eastern Shore anyway.
See, isn't it amazing what you think that's incorrect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland