U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 1,265 times

Advertisements

Looking to settle in Maryland and to be closer to friends and family. Had my eye on silver spring.looking for senior housing. Welcome any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:11 PM

11,098 posts, read 18,677,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmehi View Post
Looking to settle in Maryland and to be closer to friends and family. Had my eye on silver spring.looking for senior housing. Welcome any suggestions.
It would be helpful to post your budget, and whether you are looking to rent or buy.

The obvious suggestion is Leisure World, where there are condos and SFH's for sale. It offers numerous amenities, but the HOA or condo fees are correspondingly high. For example, a 2-br apartment in a high rise costs around $200K, but the fees are about $600/month, the last I checked.

Another convenient option are the high-rises on the 1100 block of University Blvd West. They are priced in the low $100K range for the 1-bedroom models.

There is limited subsidized housing, but I think you have to get on a waiting list.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:29 PM

I'm looking for senior citizen places that are moderately priced (up to but not more than 1100 per month). I am interested in Silver Spring because it is a metro ride away from D.C.,twenty miles from my friends in Baltimore and approx. 30 miles from family in Virginia.looking to rent only.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I'm looking for senior citizen places that are moderately priced (up to but not more than 1100 per month). I am interested in Silver Spring because it is a metro ride away from D.C.,twenty miles from my friends in Baltimore and approx. 30 miles from family in Virginia.looking to rent only.
The options in that price range are very limited, and none of them are explicitly age-restricted. You could try looking at the older places near downtown Silver Spring using Apartmentguide.com or Realtor.com.

You could also look at Laurel, where you can get to DC on the MARC train. The price will be less than in Silver Spring, and you could also visit Baltimore by the MARC train.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I'm looking for senior citizen places that are moderately priced (up to but not more than 1100 per month).
Try this place, as it is one of the few age-restricted, low-income places: Apartments in Silver Spring For Rent | Oaks at Four Corners

Old 09-08-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Try this place, as it is one of the few age-restricted, low-income places: Apartments in Silver Spring For Rent | Oaks at Four Corners
There are a few others listed here, but you need to select the ones in your price range: https://www.after55.com/senior-housi.../silver-spring Specifically, look at the Bonifant, where the rent starts at $990.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:35 PM

Thank you! Have already looked a the Bonifant, which is already my first choice because of its location, but I will look closely at Laurel. I am so grateful for the help. God bless.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:23 PM

9,471 posts, read 5,238,216 times
Having lived in both Laurel and SS I think you have found your new home at The Bonifant, I can't believe you can live in downtown Silver Spring for a grand. It is walking distance to the Metro and much more accessible to DC than Laurel. The "new Silver Spring" is pretty awesome with lots of restaurants and things to do. I would recommend that for you for sure.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 4,776 times
Regarding The Bonifant - I understand many of the apartments are income-restricted. Do you know what the rents are for those who don't meet the income qualifications?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland