U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:17 AM

6,064 posts, read 3,987,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Houses aren't inexpensive and demand is steady in every nice town in Northeastern New Jersey.
Probably because it is still much cheaper than living in NYC. Those high taxes are probably needed more to keep the heavily traveled roads(commuting?) in decent shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 12:08 PM

789 posts, read 672,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinelands View Post
Thanks for replies. I would likely be seeking employment in the healthcare field.

I am starting to lean towards Snow Hill. From what ive read, people seem to suggest that Worcester county has better schools than Wicomico county. Would this be considered true?

Would Snow Hill be considered a good place to raise a family?

What about access to amenities? It seems like their aren't alot of shopping options in town, but as long as the big box stores (walmart, lowes, etc.) are within a 20 minute drive, i would be fine with that.

Thank you for the all the info
Healthcare is booming here. Atlantic General, PRMC, Beebe are commutable options.

Yes, I have a couple friends that grew up in Snow Hill, and they turned out to be great people and had a good school experience.

But this place is rural. About as rural as you can get in the northeast/mid-Atlantic. Cannot stress that enough.

Snow Hill High School is not exactly academically-renowned and only has a few high school sports. There just aren't enough students for every sports team. Stephen Decatur High School is located in Berlin, MD and takes kids from the northern 1/3 of the county. It is probably one of the best high schools on the Delmarva Peninsula.

Salisbury is going to be your location for amenities. Although it is a regional hub, it lacks the massive variety you are probably used to in NJ. West Ocean City appears to be emerging as a retail hub for the county.

Don't move to VA if you can help it. Taxes are lower, for sure, but the school system is a joke, crime is rampant, and the whole area is deeply depressed. It is a bummer of a place and frankly I'm not looking forward to driving through it this afternoon.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 PM

101 posts, read 81,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Healthcare is booming here. Atlantic General, PRMC, Beebe are commutable options.

Yes, I have a couple friends that grew up in Snow Hill, and they turned out to be great people and had a good school experience.

But this place is rural. About as rural as you can get in the northeast/mid-Atlantic. Cannot stress that enough.

Snow Hill High School is not exactly academically-renowned and only has a few high school sports. There just aren't enough students for every sports team. Stephen Decatur High School is located in Berlin, MD and takes kids from the northern 1/3 of the county. It is probably one of the best high schools on the Delmarva Peninsula.

Salisbury is going to be your location for amenities. Although it is a regional hub, it lacks the massive variety you are probably used to in NJ. West Ocean City appears to be emerging as a retail hub for the county.

Don't move to VA if you can help it. Taxes are lower, for sure, but the school system is a joke, crime is rampant, and the whole area is deeply depressed. It is a bummer of a place and frankly I'm not looking forward to driving through it this afternoon.
Good, and accurate emphasis on the potential "culture shock" of Salisbury/OC area.

A tip I have for OP is to go to Google maps, zoom about as large as a 15 mile radius around the area you'll be living, and search for the "staples" - these could be Target/Walmart, Chipotle, Autozone, movie theaters, clothing retailers, etc. (for me, Potbelly Sandwich would be up there, yet of course I don't have one within a short drive ). This will give you an idea of what types of amenities will be nearby.

For the record, the handful of people I know living in Salisbury, Ocean Pines, Selbyville (DE), and Berlin, all enjoy it.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 PM

45 posts, read 178,065 times
The advice to use Google Satellite and to take a week, visit, and drive the back roads were both very sound.

A few additions:

"Safe" areas and "good" schools are somewhat relative terms, to me anyway. Crime is everywhere but the type of crime can change depending on the area. The ES has been hit hard by opiate addiction. Property crime booms as a result - copper wire, home invasion, that kind of thing. Not saying that the communities there overall are not safer, just don't be lulled into unrealistic expectations of Mayberry 24/7. My house was broken into, electronics and jewelry stolen. Mine was just one in a handful of break ins that a group of punk addicts were committing at the time. They hit a lot of houses in my small, safe little town.

Schools - what do you mean by good? Academics? Programs? Extracurricular? Safety? You can see academics by doing a deep dive on Great Schools into test scores, percentage of TAG students, highly qualified teachers, etc. But you won't get a feel for the heart and soul of the school. My son went to grade school, K-5, in one of those small town schools. It was a Title 1 school and so a bit of a double-edged sword. Perhaps a larger percentage of struggling students, and the teachers needing to teach to that baseline. But being a Title 1 school also opened access to a lot of funding that non-Title 1 schools wouldn't. And all the teachers...and I mean ALLLLL the teachers...knew my son by name. That's priceless. We moved recently, into Harford County, and I chose this area for the good academic reputation of the schools. I will say that there has been a bit of adjustment academically. He was used to coasting by, even in the gifted program, but at this school he's got a LOT more work to do. And I'm kind of sad for him - he doesn't like the sports-oriented clique-y attitude and hasn't made many friends yet.

So - ask yourself - which school was "better?" Something to keep in mind, maybe.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:54 PM

205 posts, read 211,541 times
Great thread. Thanks for the honest input here. Mapquesting it - is it typically a 2 hour drive to Baltimore area or is it one of those 2 hour drives in time but really an hour and a half if you go a little faster or 3 hours if you hit traffic?

Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
Great thread. Thanks for the honest input here. Mapquesting it - is it typically a 2 hour drive to Baltimore area or is it one of those 2 hour drives in time but really an hour and a half if you go a little faster or 3 hours if you hit traffic?
I do it for work quite often, as I have clients all over. I can get to La Plata MD in exactly 3 hours, Norfolk VA can be done in between 2.5-3 hours. Downtown Baltimore is right about 2.5. Philly is 2.5. New Carrollton Metro is a hair over 2 hours. OC is probably another 30-40 minutes further down the road from Salisbury. Used to date someone that lived near Trappe and commuted to downtown Annapolis. 75 minutes every time for her. Coming back on a friday suuuuucks during the 8 warmest months of the year.

FYI: You don't ever want to crack 70 mph on Route 50. Even that speed is pushing it coming through the heavily patrolled corridor through Dorchester County. The Bay Bridge approach is also heavily patrolled, and those are MTA cops: they are not easy on speeders and many use undercover cars.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:22 AM

45 posts, read 178,065 times
I did the commute to Baltimore from Caroline County July through September. It depends on the time of day. If you can and are willing to do an early or late schedule, it is much much better. I left the house around 5:30 and got into Fells Point around 7, quarter after. Commuting home was more difficult - you would want to leave before 3 or after 6 or 7. It also depends on where in Baltimore. It's not bad during the off season, but beach season is pretty terrible on the bridge, 50, Ritchie Highway, 97, etc.

There were some days I just went ahead and drove north on 95 and then south through Delaware. All depends on the day, time of year, event, etc.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:56 PM

794 posts, read 569,049 times
Recently sold our house and left the area (near Snow Hill, closer to Girdletree), I wouldn't recommend the area. Here is your life:

Berlin Food Lion.
Berlin AND Pocomoke Wal-Mart.
Long depressing rides to Salisbury, Berlin and OC.
Kabuki theater driving rituals - speed traps, incessant waving, 10/15 under speed, stuck behind chicken trucks full of visible live chickens spewing feathers and sad.
Feed factory stench.
Rubes.
Flies.

*Edit - I forgot to mention chicken houses. Smelly, fly ridden factory farm operations all over the place.

Last edited by Mr. Maryland; 01-14-2018 at 09:05 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Recently sold our house and left the area (near Snow Hill, closer to Girdletree), I wouldn't recommend the area. Here is your life:

Berlin Food Lion.
Berlin AND Pocomoke Wal-Mart.
Long depressing rides to Salisbury, Berlin and OC.
Kabuki theater driving rituals - speed traps, incessant waving, 10/15 under speed, stuck behind chicken trucks full of visible live chickens spewing feathers and sad.
Feed factory stench.
Rubes.
Flies.

*Edit - I forgot to mention chicken houses. Smelly, fly ridden factory farm operations all over the place.
Sounds like that was YOUR life. I'm sorry you chose to live it that way!

Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 AM

33,437 posts, read 40,943,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Sounds like that was YOUR life. I'm sorry you chose to live it that way!
Yeah, I don't know what people expect when they move to a sparsely populated, rural, agricultural area.

We moved to Calvert when it, and much of Southern Maryland, was the west side of the Chesapeake's version of the Eastern Shore. We came from much more rural Northwestern Pennsylvania so knew what to expect. We just exchanged corn fields for ones planted in tobacco and I switched from grouse and pheasant hunting to geese and ducks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or