U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 AM
 
14 posts, read 12,828 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my questions.

I had a follow up question in regards to the chicken smell comments.

I assume it would be easy enough to avoid living next to a chicken farm. But from what I have been reading, it is common practice on much of Delmarva for chicken manure to be used as a fertilizer on crops during the spring months. Is this true?

I could deal with catching a whiff of this occasionally, but just how bad is it? Does the entire shore reek of chicken manure during the spring months as a result?

Is it noticeable even in more urban, downtown areas such as Salisbury, Berlin, Cambridge, etc.?

I understand that it is an agricultural region. But I would just like to know the full story before making any decisions regarding relocating.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2018, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Upper Marlboro
789 posts, read 672,749 times
Reputation: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinelands View Post
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my questions.

I had a follow up question in regards to the chicken smell comments.

I assume it would be easy enough to avoid living next to a chicken farm. But from what I have been reading, it is common practice on much of Delmarva for chicken manure to be used as a fertilizer on crops during the spring months. Is this true?

I could deal with catching a whiff of this occasionally, but just how bad is it? Does the entire shore reek of chicken manure during the spring months as a result?

Is it noticeable even in more urban, downtown areas such as Salisbury, Berlin, Cambridge, etc.?

I understand that it is an agricultural region. But I would just like to know the full story before making any decisions regarding relocating.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Great question and its much better to ask before you make the move!

It is very easy to avoid chicken houses when purchasing a home. In fact, my office is in a small village surrounded by farms, about half of which are poultry. But I don't smell it at work. I don't think the smell travels far, although it is foul. You'll probably get a whiff of it driving around in the spring.

You likely won't smell it in town. Most of the processing plants are located on the outskirts of places like Salisbury or Millsboro. The two worst smelling towns, in my experience, are Selbyville DE, with a Mountair Plant right in the center of town, and Berlin MD, with a dog food factory that can blow right into downtown a dozen or so times a year.

Finally, many farmers are getting hooked up with some pretty cool tech, and many are applying CONSIDERABLY less manure than previous years. Turn out nearly every single eastern shore farmer was wasting time and money on excess fertilizer (not to mention the environmental impact yikes) for years, and that practice has started to turn around. You can thank bipartisanship for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 AM
 
14 posts, read 12,828 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Great question and its much better to ask before you make the move!

It is very easy to avoid chicken houses when purchasing a home. In fact, my office is in a small village surrounded by farms, about half of which are poultry. But I don't smell it at work. I don't think the smell travels far, although it is foul. You'll probably get a whiff of it driving around in the spring.

You likely won't smell it in town. Most of the processing plants are located on the outskirts of places like Salisbury or Millsboro. The two worst smelling towns, in my experience, are Selbyville DE, with a Mountair Plant right in the center of town, and Berlin MD, with a dog food factory that can blow right into downtown a dozen or so times a year.

Finally, many farmers are getting hooked up with some pretty cool tech, and many are applying CONSIDERABLY less manure than previous years. Turn out nearly every single eastern shore farmer was wasting time and money on excess fertilizer (not to mention the environmental impact yikes) for years, and that practice has started to turn around. You can thank bipartisanship for that.
Great info, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 AM
 
Location: MD's Eastern Shore
2,311 posts, read 2,887,909 times
Reputation: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Most of the processing plants are located on the outskirts of places like Salisbury or Millsboro. The two worst smelling towns, in my experience, are Selbyville DE, with a Mountair Plant right in the center of town, and Berlin MD, with a dog food factory that can blow right into downtown a dozen or so times a year.
I'll second that as my wife used to work at Mountaire in Selbyville and I almost bought a place fairly close to Berlins dog food factory.

One thing to keep in mind though is I definitely would not rule out Berlin (or at least a Berlin address). I bought in Ocean Pines and there is never any smells here. It is a large community (basically it's own town) but it has a Berlin address. Berlin is such a large area and extends into what many consider West Ocean City. When I rented in Glen Riddle, I seem to recall a Berlin address as well. I think Heron creek is a rough border. Just throwing that out there as there is a large area with a Berlin address (but no town taxes) without chicken or dog food smells. And I'm not putting down the town of Berlin as it is a nice little town which I think is one of the most well kept and cleanest around. And with the medical field growing it is only going to be a better place, IMO, to live and work in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 01:39 PM
 
14 posts, read 12,828 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I'll second that as my wife used to work at Mountaire in Selbyville and I almost bought a place fairly close to Berlins dog food factory.

One thing to keep in mind though is I definitely would not rule out Berlin (or at least a Berlin address). I bought in Ocean Pines and there is never any smells here. It is a large community (basically it's own town) but it has a Berlin address. Berlin is such a large area and extends into what many consider West Ocean City. When I rented in Glen Riddle, I seem to recall a Berlin address as well. I think Heron creek is a rough border. Just throwing that out there as there is a large area with a Berlin address (but no town taxes) without chicken or dog food smells. And I'm not putting down the town of Berlin as it is a nice little town which I think is one of the most well kept and cleanest around. And with the medical field growing it is only going to be a better place, IMO, to live and work in the future.
Thank you, I agree Ocean Pines does look like a very nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 09:16 PM
 
794 posts, read 569,049 times
Reputation: 1117
I'd recommend viewing living in the area as a whole. No, you may not necessarily smell chickens at your house, but you will smell them all around, all year. Snow Hill has a feed factory right in town, and it smells like cross between wet dog and rotisserie chicken. Berlin also has a factory right in town. Also, expect to be behind open air chicken transport semis fairly frequently. You'll smell them and get feathers in your car if your windows are open while behind them.

Personally, I'd worry more about the flies that are pervasive on the shore over the smells, but all of it goes hand in hand so.. ah, and don't forget that you'll be asked to sign the "right to farm" document at settlement, which kind of hampers the ability to predict where future chicken houses might end up. Basically it says just that - you agree that at any time, a chicken farm or it's related operations/traffic may ruin your life and property value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,437 posts, read 40,943,776 times
Reputation: 42633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
I'd recommend viewing living in the area as a whole. No, you may not necessarily smell chickens at your house, but you will smell them all around, all year. Snow Hill has a feed factory right in town, and it smells like cross between wet dog and rotisserie chicken. Berlin also has a factory right in town. Also, expect to be behind open air chicken transport semis fairly frequently. You'll smell them and get feathers in your car if your windows are open while behind them.

Personally, I'd worry more about the flies that are pervasive on the shore over the smells, but all of it goes hand in hand so.. ah, and don't forget that you'll be asked to sign the "right to farm" document at settlement, which kind of hampers the ability to predict where future chicken houses might end up. Basically it says just that - you agree that at any time, a chicken farm or it's related operations/traffic may ruin your life and property value.
Exactly why Right to Farm legislation had to be adopted. People moving to farming areas and then suing because.......... people were farming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 09:47 AM
 
14 posts, read 12,828 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
I'd recommend viewing living in the area as a whole. No, you may not necessarily smell chickens at your house, but you will smell them all around, all year. Snow Hill has a feed factory right in town, and it smells like cross between wet dog and rotisserie chicken. Berlin also has a factory right in town. Also, expect to be behind open air chicken transport semis fairly frequently. You'll smell them and get feathers in your car if your windows are open while behind them.

Personally, I'd worry more about the flies that are pervasive on the shore over the smells, but all of it goes hand in hand so.. ah, and don't forget that you'll be asked to sign the "right to farm" document at settlement, which kind of hampers the ability to predict where future chicken houses might end up. Basically it says just that - you agree that at any time, a chicken farm or it's related operations/traffic may ruin your life and property value.
Thanks for the comment.

At this point I have pretty much ruled out buying a place in the countryside, due to these reasons. I have nothing against country living, but I have to be honest with myself and admit that being surrounded by the sights and smells of agriculture on a daily basis isn't really for me.

Salisbury seems to be the most urban/suburban area of the shore. I assume that this means there would be more job opportunities located in the Sailsbury area?

Although I am a bit troubled by the crime statistics for Salisbury. Is the crime limited to a few neighborhoods, or is it a city wide problem?

My other option is to look into the Berlin/Ocean Pines/West Ocean City area. This area seems to be the nicest overall, but I realize it will likely be more expensive at a result.

Last edited by Pinelands; 02-11-2018 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 10:37 AM
 
15,110 posts, read 4,818,104 times
Reputation: 5750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinelands View Post
Thanks for the comment.

At this point I have pretty much ruled out buying a place in the countryside, due to these reasons. I have nothing against country living, but I have to be honest with myself and admit that being surrounded by the sights and smells of agriculture on a daily basis isn't really for me.

Salisbury seems to be the most urban/suburban area of the shore. I assume that this means there would be more job opportunities located in the Sailsbury area?

Although I am a bit troubled by the crime statistics for Salisbury. Is the crime limited to a few neighborhoods, or is it a city wide problem?

My other option is to look into the Berlin/Ocean Pines/West Ocean City area. This area seems to be the nicest overall, but I realize it will likely be more expensive at a result.
Knowing were you are coming from I would suggest you check out ...Chestertown Maryland .



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestertown,_Maryland


Town of Chestertown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 PM
 
794 posts, read 569,049 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinelands View Post
Thanks for the comment.

At this point I have pretty much ruled out buying a place in the countryside, due to these reasons. I have nothing against country living, but I have to be honest with myself and admit that being surrounded by the sights and smells of agriculture on a daily basis isn't really for me.

Salisbury seems to be the most urban/suburban area of the shore. I assume that this means there would be more job opportunities located in the Sailsbury area?

Although I am a bit troubled by the crime statistics for Salisbury. Is the crime limited to a few neighborhoods, or is it a city wide problem?

My other option is to look into the Berlin/Ocean Pines/West Ocean City area. This area seems to be the nicest overall, but I realize it will likely be more expensive at a result.
You're welcome! Regarding Salisbury, Berlin, and the rest of the lower three counties, it's all the very same thing. There is no difference, and crime is not relegated to a few bad neighborhoods, but all over -
with Salisbury being a main hub.

The whole lower eastern shore is basically the same thing, it's not distinct enough to make a difference in some of the ways you hope. The best place near the area in question is Delaware, either Bethany, or points north on the DE coast as far as Lewes. It's the only part of that part of the world that's first world conditions.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top