U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 AM

14 posts, read 11,016 times

Advertisements

Currently live in New Jersey, but being priced out due to high property taxes and high cost of living. My wife and I are considering moving to the eastern shore for a slower paced lifestyle, low property tax, and affordable real estate.

I realize that the job market is limited, but I have some extended family in Worcester county that could hopefully help me find a decent job in the area. I have been visiting the shore frequently since I was a kid, so I am pretty familiar with the region already.

I would like to live within 30 minutes of the Ocean City/Berlin region. I have been trying to find information on the small towns between Ocean City and Salisbury. Pittsville and Willards are two towns in particular that I have been looking at. I am also considering the towns of Snow Hill or Pocomoke City. Berlin looks very nice, but might be at the upper limits of my budget.

Are these generally safe, family oriented areas?

Also, I know that this is primarily an agricultural area, and I know that the poultry industry has a major presence in the region. I am a bit concerned about the chicken houses in the area and the odor they occasionally emit. Does the chicken manure smell ever waft through these towns, or would living within the "downtown" areas be far enough removed from the poultry operations in the nearby countryside, so that one wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing?

Any advice, tips, or input would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM

26,848 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinelands View Post
...have some extended family in Worcester county
that could hopefully help me find a decent job in the area.
I have been trying to find information on the small towns between Ocean City and Salisbury.
What have your relatives and personal observations told you?

Quote:
Any advice, tips, or input would be appreciated.
Take a week and really poke around on the back roads.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM

9,412 posts, read 5,209,705 times
What type of work would you be looking at? That area has a very real shortage of jobs I would think outside of the tourist industry which of course is seasonal

Old 09-13-2017, 04:13 PM

766 posts, read 620,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
What type of work would you be looking at? That area has a very real shortage of jobs I would think outside of the tourist industry which of course is seasonal
Sort of. Tourism is a major driver, but certainly not the only employment sector, not even close. Ag, manufacturing, food processing, and lots of smaller companies and industries, healthcare and higher ed too.

Quote:
Does the chicken manure smell ever waft through these towns, or would living within the "downtown" areas be far enough removed from the poultry operations in the nearby countryside, so that one wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing?
Yes. In fact, some towns are the epicenter of the smell (Selbyville DE, west-ish Salisbury, east side of Berlin). You'll smell it pretty much everywhere in rural areas, but not all the time.

If you want to avoid it, get closer to the water. And check your flood map; nor'easter are no joke on thew lower shore (Somerset, Wicomico, Worcester Co)

Old 09-14-2017, 06:37 AM

14 posts, read 11,016 times
Thanks for replies. I would likely be seeking employment in the healthcare field.

I am starting to lean towards Snow Hill. From what ive read, people seem to suggest that Worcester county has better schools than Wicomico county. Would this be considered true?

Would Snow Hill be considered a good place to raise a family?

What about access to amenities? It seems like their aren't alot of shopping options in town, but as long as the big box stores (walmart, lowes, etc.) are within a 20 minute drive, i would be fine with that.

Thank you for the all the info

Old 09-14-2017, 07:12 AM

682 posts, read 823,229 times
I lived in Salisbury for five years, leaving there 11 years ago. I loved it, but think that Salisbury has changed since the recession of 2007/08, and has never fully recovered. I still have a few friends in the area ,although I have not visited for probably 2 years. I noticed when I did return that some of the neighborhoods did not look as well kept as I remember them from 12 years ago when I lived there. Salisbury has more of a crime problem than it seemed to have when I lived there, though I never had any personal experience with that in the time I was there, and felt generally safe.

Worcester county schools were always considered to be "better" than Wicomico county schools, but don't know current status. Berlin and Ocean Pines are considered to be the "stars" in Worcester county, but real estate prices there are probably higher. Some of the very small towns you mentioned- Pittsville, Willard- are very small, and used to be-don't know now- very insular. I'm not certain how "newcomers" would be received, integrated into community. This is true of Snow Hill as well- attractive town, insular, and needing to come to Salisbury for major shopping, medical, etc.

Major employers are Perdue( never had any problem with smells), Salisbury University, and Peninsula Regional Medical Center, which continues to expand. There is Atlantic Medical Center in Berlin, but much smaller.

Delmar- partly in De. and part in Md. would probably be less expensive than larger towns, and you'd be near shopping, amenities in Salisbury.

Taxes in Maryland are high- I do much better in Delaware than I did in Md.-but probably compared to N.J. they wouldn't look so bad.

Take your time looking around. Good luck!

Catsy

Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 AM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Quote:
Thanks for replies. I would likely be seeking employment in the healthcare field.

I am starting to lean towards Snow Hill. From what ive read, people seem to suggest that Worcester county has better schools than Wicomico county. Would this be considered true?

Would Snow Hill be considered a good place to raise a family?

What about access to amenities? It seems like their aren't alot of shopping options in town, but as long as the big box stores (walmart, lowes, etc.) are within a 20 minute drive, i would be fine with that.

Thank you for the all the info
What you've listed are all rural SMALL towns. Few amenities except maybe, just maybe, a small grocery, a drugstore and a coffee shop that doubles as a gas station. Maybe a hardware, farm implements and somewhere you can get fishing tackle, hunting and fishing licenses and shotgun shells.

The area is rural. Unless you're from the Pine Barrens in New Jersey you may not realize just how rural it is if you've only visited for a couple days. Living there is way different than visiting.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,768,940 times
Use Google Earth to look before you buy. If you see some long barns close by at a property you are looking at, it is most likely a chicken farm and you have the unpleasant odors of chicken**** when you would like to have your windows open.

I've known a few people who have left NJ to escape the high RE taxes. The only thing that offsets this high taxes is the low cost to purchase a home there. Demand is low because of those high taxes. You have to figure it will work the other way around where the taxes are more reasonable(I won't say low, especially in Maryland). Prepare to pay more for the house upfront. The good thing is, you will get it back when you sell. Not so with taxes.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 AM

13,351 posts, read 7,301,172 times
Make sure it is to the VIRGINIA part of the DELMARVA peninsula. Your wallet, and freedoms will thank me.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:29 AM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Use Google Earth to look before you buy. If you see some long barns close by at a property you are looking at, it is most likely a chicken farm and you have the unpleasant odors of chicken**** when you would like to have your windows open.

I've known a few people who have left NJ to escape the high RE taxes. The only thing that offsets this high taxes is the low cost to purchase a home there. Demand is low because of those high taxes. You have to figure it will work the other way around where the taxes are more reasonable(I won't say low, especially in Maryland). Prepare to pay more for the house upfront. The good thing is, you will get it back when you sell. Not so with taxes.
Houses aren't inexpensive and demand is steady in every nice town in Northeastern New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or