U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 3,542 times

Advertisements

Thank you again to everyone who is providing input. All very helpful.

I have not looked at Cortland, NY (or anywhere else in NY for that matter). Not yet, anyway.

A few follow up questions:

In case I decide on rehabilitating a home, is it fairly easy to find good quality contractors (honest, skilled, reliable) in town? I would plan to do a fair bit of work myself, but would need professionals for some work (plaster, plumbing, roofing, etc). At least there is a Lowe's in the area...

Do you (addressing westsideboy in particular, but anyone else who has info) have a realtor you would recommend? If/when I come to Cumberland, I would like to get set up to see some homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 07:37 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbertin View Post
Thank you again to everyone who is providing input. All very helpful.

I have not looked at Cortland, NY (or anywhere else in NY for that matter). Not yet, anyway.

A few follow up questions:

In case I decide on rehabilitating a home, is it fairly easy to find good quality contractors (honest, skilled, reliable) in town? I would plan to do a fair bit of work myself, but would need professionals for some work (plaster, plumbing, roofing, etc). At least there is a Lowe's in the area...

Do you (addressing westsideboy in particular, but anyone else who has info) have a realtor you would recommend? If/when I come to Cumberland, I would like to get set up to see some homes.
Yes, rehabbing old homes is a pretty good business around town, and I know several contractors at both the "historically accurate" price point and the "get the job done" price point that I and my family have personally used. I would be happy to share if/when you need them.

Let me ponder realtors and PM you. I am not sure the one we used 10 years ago is still in the business.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:05 AM

5 posts, read 3,542 times
Ok, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but how does anyone up there learn how to spell Allegany/Allegheny/Alleghany? I've seen all three used in various place, county, river, street or other names across MD, PA, VA.

On a more serious note, what is the medical care like in Cumberland? I had read about a new hospital being built (2009?), but that there are/were problems? I am not yet at the point where I need access to good quality medical care, but it is likely that would some day (if I manage to stick it out for the long haul).

Also, looking on google maps street view, you can see a building adjacent to St Peter & Paul Catholic Church, on Fayette St, while on Satellite view, it is clearly not there. I am assuming it was torn down "recently" (as in the past 5 years or so?). What was that building? Looked like a school built in the first half of the 20th century.

Google street view is not doing Cumberland any favors. The image quality is quite low, and the lighting is poor, making everything appear more depressing than it might otherwise seem.

That said, even without visiting, it is pretty clear the roads are in very rough shape (understandably, this is difficult to address with a shrinking tax base).

Old 10-27-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbertin View Post
Ok, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but how does anyone up there learn how to spell Allegany/Allegheny/Alleghany? I've seen all three used in various place, county, river, street or other names across MD, PA, VA.

On a more serious note, what is the medical care like in Cumberland? I had read about a new hospital being built (2009?), but that there are/were problems? I am not yet at the point where I need access to good quality medical care, but it is likely that would some day (if I manage to stick it out for the long haul).

Also, looking on google maps street view, you can see a building adjacent to St Peter & Paul Catholic Church, on Fayette St, while on Satellite view, it is clearly not there. I am assuming it was torn down "recently" (as in the past 5 years or so?). What was that building? Looked like a school built in the first half of the 20th century.

Google street view is not doing Cumberland any favors. The image quality is quite low, and the lighting is poor, making everything appear more depressing than it might otherwise seem.

That said, even without visiting, it is pretty clear the roads are in very rough shape (understandably, this is difficult to address with a shrinking tax base).
1. Many people up here spell it "wrong" too. The general rule is that the spelling is "Allegheny" when talking about the mountain range, the river, and the PA county. "Allegany" is a county in Maryland. "Alleghany" is a county in either NY or NC, don't recall off thetop of my head.

2. WMHC is pretty new and good enough for routine type care. I don't really trust them for serious stuff, but Ruby Memorial in Morgantown WV is a excellent hospital, and just over an hour away.

3. That was St. John Neumann, my elementary school. It was torn down around 2010 after the school closed and the local Catholic parishes consolidated. The church and the old parish hall across the street are all that are left of what used to be an entire block of Catholic structures, including a huge walled in monastery.

4. Cumberland is a 3-D town. The terrain is hilly, you are almost always going up or down in elevation meaning your view changes constantly from forested hillsides, other city neighborhoods higher/lower in elevation, panoramas of the mountains, and so forth. Looking at it on Google is like staring at an Impressionist painting from 4 inches away, you miss the big picture.

5. The roads are a mess. We don't have the budget to keep them all in good shape. Potholes are a small irritation we put up with.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:19 AM

4,928 posts, read 3,131,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
5. The roads are a mess. We don't have the budget to keep them all in good shape. Potholes are a small irritation we put up with.
Did they ever adjust the timing of the traffic signals at Industrial Blvd. and Virginia Ave.? I seem to recall that at one time, it had the dubious distinction of having the longest red phase of any signal in the entire state. I also seem to recall that there were plans to reconfigure the intersection (actually, "pair" of intersections) to try and improve the situation. Has anything been done about that?

Old 10-30-2017, 08:38 AM

4,201 posts, read 9,300,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
1. Many people up here spell it "wrong" too. The general rule is that the spelling is "Allegheny" when talking about the mountain range, the river, and the PA county. "Allegany" is a county in Maryland. "Alleghany" is a county in either NY or NC, don't recall off thetop of my head.
The NY county is also "Allegany." VA and NC have "Alleghany" counties. Though it should be noted that NC does not have any Allegheny Plateau as currently denominated.

To confuse folks even more, the Allegheny Plateau in Tennessee is usually called the Cumberland Plateau. TN's Cumberland Trail is now part of Great Eastern Trail. If you walk on Great Eastern Trail long enough (only two people have) it also passes through eastern Allegany County, MD, but not within the Allegheny Plateau where it does. In order to do this, you would also have passed through VA's Alleghany County, on Allegheny Trail.

NY State has part of the Allegheny River, though not in Allegany County. Where that river passes through the Seneca Nation, a bridge on I-86 has the name of the river also rendered in native tongue as "Ohi:yo' ".

Is your head hurting yet?

Last edited by ki0eh; 10-30-2017 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Did they ever adjust the timing of the traffic signals at Industrial Blvd. and Virginia Ave.? I seem to recall that at one time, it had the dubious distinction of having the longest red phase of any signal in the entire state. I also seem to recall that there were plans to reconfigure the intersection (actually, "pair" of intersections) to try and improve the situation. Has anything been done about that?
The city put in a "Michigan left." You have to turn right on Industrial Boulevard west when heading south of VA Ave. now. After turning right, you then can turn left and merge onto Industrial Boulevard east via a new access road thing. This eliminates the occasional back-ups that happened on VA Ave. because it is bisected by 4 lanes of Industrial Boulevard and an underpass of the CSX mainline.

Honestly, the traffic there hasn't been bad since the Canal Parkway went in about 17 years ago for through traffic. The car volume was reduced, so even though the light cycle is long, you still make it through in one cycle.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:20 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
I just wish Cumberland made access to 68 easier! (for that matter, 40 or whatever number the National Highway? is) - tried taking the scenic route from Wash. Pa. one time and got totally lost in Cumberland)

Old 10-30-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I just wish Cumberland made access to 68 easier! (for that matter, 40 or whatever number the National Highway? is) - tried taking the scenic route from Wash. Pa. one time and got totally lost in Cumberland)
That brings up a good point, don't assume GPS will be able to successfully get you around Cumberland. I would have a map handy, and get print directions to at least some of the places you know you want to visit so you can look them over and plot out a course.

We have lots of one-way streets, strange intersections, and geographic barriers that GPS struggles to account for, especially if it needs to correct a course because a turn was missed.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Rt. 40 through Cumberland is Henderson Ave and then Baltimore Ave (going west to east.) These streets would not seem to be a good scenic/alt. route to I-68, but is designated as such because this route allows you to get through town without having to deal with any at grade rail crossings.

Fun fact: The I-68 bridge in Cumberland was built in the 1960s to ease cross town congestion. At that time the WMD and two lines of the B&O were all in operation and traffic bogged down at the crossings.

The bridge is made for puddle jumping from one neighborhood to another and locals still use it as such (you still find the occassional person that calls it "the crosstown bridge.") It isn't built to Interstate spec. (45mph speed limit for one) but the geography of the state is such that it would be extremely difficult to engineer a new route without burrowing under a mountain so it was grandfathered in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or