Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 19,945 times

Advertisements

It is a new construction and the color of the brick is totally different from the one we chose. We asked the project manager and he said that it needs to be washed but they washed and still the same. It looks that they installed the wrong brick. This brick looks dirty and is really ugly. We had the walk through today and after they cleaned it but still the same. It is easy to compare because the brick we selected is in another house close to my new home. We can see the other house from my new home and they are totally different. Moderater cut: No consumer complaints. What should we do?

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-18-2008 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 04:22 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,286 times
Nothing. The house is finish building. Once the home is build the only thing the builder can do is build you a new home or replace the brick which they will not do because it will cost them too much money.

You can either have then build you another home and put your home for sale or you can except the brick color and move on with your life or you can not purchase the home.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:24 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,286 times
The same with my home. My brick is the fade looking brick/light color. My neighbor brick is darker color which is nice but after living in my home now going on two yrs I love the color

Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseb1 View Post
It is a new construction and the color of the brick is totally different from the one we chose. We asked the project manager and he said that it needs to be washed but they washed and still the same. It looks that they installed the wrong brick. This brick looks dirty and is really ugly. We had the walk through today and after they cleaned it but still the same. It is easy to compare because the brick we selected is in another house close to my new home. We can see the other house from my new home and they are totally different. Moderater cut: No consumer complaints. What should we do?
if this is not the color of the brick that you picked out, then what I would do would be to ask him to reduce the price to make up the difference for the brick that you wanted should you decide to purchase this home otherwise tell the contractor to build you another house with the correct color of brick that you chose.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 PM

847 posts, read 3,353,332 times
You could make him paint it.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,870 times
I built my last house, and there are disappointments to be expected. I hope you can adjust to the brick and enjoy your home. However, this is a good warning that taking a sample of natural products from the manufacturer, like stone and brick, might not be a bad idea. Others may benefit from your dilemma. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM

74 posts, read 421,583 times
So long as a particular brick was called for in the contract or some other document, the builder is obligated to deliver that kind of brick. You can try to take them to court and get a court to order them to replace the brick, and while you might be successful, it will be pretty pricey to do.

The best thing to do would be to talk to the builder and let them know you know they ****ed up and you know what your rights are. They need to either: (1) replace the brick with the kind you wanted; (2) give you a massive discount; or (3) let you walk away from the contract.

Whatever you do, don't sign anything saying you inspected the place and things meet with your approval.

My mother contracted to have a 2-bedroom house built last year on a particular plot in a new 55-and-over community. The builder poured a foundation for a 3-bedroom house by accident. They tried to tell her she needed to either take a different plot or pay for the difference between a 2- and 3-bedroom house. There was a reason she picked the plot that she did, though, and she wasn't about to move.

I called the builder and spoke to them a few times, telling them I knew the law was in our favor and I was prepared to sue them to force them to tear up the foundation, if necessary. They said that would be expensive and they'd drag things out in court. I told them litigating is what I do for a living, so that was a pretty empty threat to me.

In the end, my mom got a 3-bedroom house for the price of a 2-bedroom.

Just know what your rights are and get talking with the builder.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:48 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,502 times
I think all-in-all, this is small potatoes in the grander scheme of things.

Do you know for sure that it was a mistake??? A lot of times building contractors switch suppliers and phase out older color schemes/materials. Also, you have to keep in mind that bricks and stone have natural variations in color. And to top that off, a brick sample of a dozen bricks under interior lights can look a lot different than an entire face of a house in natural light.

I don't think you would be able to take them to court unless the paperwork you signed and the purchase orders are different, there is no proof it is the wrong brick color. (and would you really take the builder to court over brick color?)

Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,887 times
Don't bother dealing with the local office- find out where the main office is and call as many people as you can to complain, at the least you should be compensated- this is your home, don't settle for what they tell you to shut you up.
I have a friend who ordered a certain door when his home was being built, and they installed a different, cheaper door. When he saw it, they told him that they couldn't put the other door in without tearing down the entrance way. He spoke to someone higher up, after having fruitless conversations with the salespeople, and finally got them to install the doorway they had ordered- and they didn't have to tear down the entranceway, that was just an excuse.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseb1 View Post
Since you had the walk through does this mean you are close to settlement? If so didn't you pick the color mistake up a long time ago? If you are from out of state what was your buyer agent doing when they should have been checking on the construction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland