U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:49 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Yeah, you're definitely not what's wrong w/America today (ditto for anyone equally ignorant and tribalist to say the inverse).
2 years ago I would have agreed with you whole heartedly. Today? Not so much.

As a white male living in a rural area, what are the Democrats offering me other than a chance to "check my privilege" at the door and accept blame for what is "wrong in America" today? I listen to their speeches, the role call of identity political groups don't include me, on purpose. The foremost national Democratic politician called people like me "deplorable" for my religious beliefs in a rare moment of candor in the last Presidential campaign. Why on earth would I vote for these people?

Don't take this to mean I am thrilled with GOP rhetoric right now either, or some fan of Trump, but there is no middle at the current time. The battle lines were drawn without my input or consent, but when forced to pick to a side, it won't be the Democrats for the foreseeable future.

As a person who was always a firm believer in voting for the better candidate, this is a very difficult thing to say, but I can't in good faith vote for a state or national level Democrat knowing they are going to work against my beliefs, concerns, and interests. I would be a fool for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 04:09 PM

13,758 posts, read 4,072,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It seems as if Larry Hogan is all but assured of a victory next year"

Any repub, even a Rino, is better then any dem.
No,now you're just being a trumpster.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,461,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
2 years ago I would have agreed with you whole heartedly. Today? Not so much.

As a white male living in a rural area, what are the Democrats offering me other than a chance to "check my privilege" at the door and accept blame for what is "wrong in America" today? I listen to their speeches, the role call of identity political groups don't include me, on purpose. The foremost national Democratic politician called people like me "deplorable" for my religious beliefs in a rare moment of candor in the last Presidential campaign. Why on earth would I vote for these people?

Don't take this to mean I am thrilled with GOP rhetoric right now either, or some fan of Trump, but there is no middle at the current time. The battle lines were drawn without my input or consent, but when forced to pick to a side, it won't be the Democrats for the foreseeable future.

As a person who was always a firm believer in voting for the better candidate, this is a very difficult thing to say, but I can't in good faith vote for a state or national level Democrat knowing they are going to work against my beliefs, concerns, and interests. I would be a fool for doing so.
Hillary Clinton Transcript: 'Basket of Deplorables' Comment | Time

Old 01-04-2018, 08:53 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Wasn't Hogan supposed to turn Baltimore around? Yet, Baltimore had one of its highest number of homicides ever in 2017.

Pretty disappointing.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:10 AM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
Yup, that's it. It doesn't sound any better the 3rd or 4th time I read it. It is a line drawn in the sand towards those that:

1. Look at the problems Europe is having with Muslim immigration and want to prevent the same from happening to our country through immigration laws. ("Islamophobe")

2. Believe MUCH better border security between us the rapidly failing narco-state of Mexico is a necessity, regardless of whether or not immigration laws are changed. ("xenophobe")

3. Feel an a business owner has the right to refuse service for events that violate a sincerely held religious belief ("homophobe")

All of these are complicated issues, I understand why people disagree, but more or less they are political/social positions I hold. Believing these things would place me into Hillary's basket with the rest of the "deplorable" Americans who agree with me. As mentioned, I know where I stand with the Democratic party right now, they are the ones that have made it very clear who their "enemy" is.

I would be a fool to assume just because I am not a Trump fan, or see nuance on these issues that voting for a Democrat is the better choice right now. The GOP has proven themselves mostly incompetent to pass they alleged agenda even in near complete control of the government(that is a topic for a whole 'nother thread.) I give the Democrats credit......they are not that way. Given control, they will pass their agenda, they are mostly sincere in their promises, and if given power will likely be successful in making changes I don't wish to see, and refusing to make others I feel are in our country, and my own, best interest.

I don't like living in these times, but that is not something we get to choose.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:22 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Wasn't Hogan supposed to turn Baltimore around? Yet, Baltimore had one of its highest number of homicides ever in 2017.

Pretty disappointing.
You wouldn't like what he'd have to do. Even the modest proposals Pugh has floated have met with Council opposition. God knows what would be said if Project Exile was introduced, broken window policing was reintroduced and, her most controversial suggestion, gun charges stopped being plea bargained away.

The last, in my opinion, is the very first thing that should be done, not just in Baltimore but statewide. Possession of a firearm by a prohibited person is one of the first charges to be dropped and within a short period the offender is back in Court with another gun charge.

As at as "turning Baltimore around" goes, I said elsewhere that it took decades to get to this point and it will take decades to fix.

As much as I hate Martin O'Malley I have to give him credit for making a dent in the problem and was turning things around. Unfortunately Dixon and Rawlings-Blake both dropped the ball. I can't tell you who was worse, Dixon and her corruption or Rawlings-Blake's incompetence.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 AM

13,758 posts, read 4,072,270 times
Quote:

Pretty disappointing.
Look at the rest of the state,I am not condemning him becuase the mayor and others in Baltimore like to give the city back to the thugs!

Old 01-05-2018, 10:03 AM

121 posts, read 81,604 times
Quote:

Pretty disappointing.

Hogan is not Batman, there is just so much a governor can do to stop crime by himself. I have voted consistently for democrats for president / congress / senate, but I will vote for Hogan. I think he is doing a good job.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:15 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You wouldn't like what he'd have to do. Even the modest proposals Pugh has floated have met with Council opposition. God knows what would be said if Project Exile was introduced, broken window policing was reintroduced and, her most controversial suggestion, gun charges stopped being plea bargained away.

The last, in my opinion, is the very first thing that should be done, not just in Baltimore but statewide. Possession of a firearm by a prohibited person is one of the first charges to be dropped and within a short period the offender is back in Court with another gun charge.

As at as "turning Baltimore around" goes, I said elsewhere that it took decades to get to this point and it will take decades to fix.

As much as I hate Martin O'Malley I have to give him credit for making a dent in the problem and was turning things around. Unfortunately Dixon and Rawlings-Blake both dropped the ball. I can't tell you who was worse, Dixon and her corruption or Rawlings-Blake's incompetence.
I do enjoy the good parts of Baltimore. It is a beautiful city. However, Baltimore had way more homicides last year than New York City, which has almost 14 times the population of Baltimore. That is beyond ridiculous.

Baltimore needs to implement policies like New York to get its crime rate down.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:50 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,461,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yup, that's it. It doesn't sound any better the 3rd or 4th time I read it. It is a line drawn in the sand towards those that:

1. Look at the problems Europe is having with Muslim immigration and want to prevent the same from happening to our country through immigration laws. ("Islamophobe")

2. Believe MUCH better border security between us the rapidly failing narco-state of Mexico is a necessity, regardless of whether or not immigration laws are changed. ("xenophobe")

3. Feel an a business owner has the right to refuse service for events that violate a sincerely held religious belief ("homophobe")

All of these are complicated issues, I understand why people disagree, but more or less they are political/social positions I hold. Believing these things would place me into Hillary's basket with the rest of the "deplorable" Americans who agree with me. As mentioned, I know where I stand with the Democratic party right now, they are the ones that have made it very clear who their "enemy" is.

I would be a fool to assume just because I am not a Trump fan, or see nuance on these issues that voting for a Democrat is the better choice right now. The GOP has proven themselves mostly incompetent to pass they alleged agenda even in near complete control of the government(that is a topic for a whole 'nother thread.) I give the Democrats credit......they are not that way. Given control, they will pass their agenda, they are mostly sincere in their promises, and if given power will likely be successful in making changes I don't wish to see, and refusing to make others I feel are in our country, and my own, best interest.

I don't like living in these times, but that is not something we get to choose.
I'm shocked and depressed you think Clinton and the Democratic party would consider those examples of Islamophobia, xenophobia, homophobia, or being a "deplorable." There isn't even much debated between the national parties on the issues you just outlined:

1. both parties agree with lengthy vetting processes for refugees seeking entry to the U.S. to ensure they aren't a threat to American interests. That's why, under Obama, the processes would take roughly 2-years per refugee. Continuing "extreme vetting" is not what makes Trump and a chunk of his base come across as Islamophobic.
2. Both parties agree border/homeland security should be a federal funding priority. Trump - like Bush II before him - wanting to prioritize southern border spending isn't why he and a chunk of his base come across as xenophobic.
3. Both parties agree on the importance of defending religious liberty. Neither party's majority thinks a religious belief is relevant to whether a state or federal law is valid or not. That's conservative legal thinking 101 and the reason why, in the case you cite, even the Trump Admin isn't making a religious liberty argument (except, of course, in the public sphere to garner Evangelical support).

I'm honestly shocked you think anyone describes you as "deplorable." Hillary's quote, to me, so clearly targets people who are actually Islamophobia/xenophobia/homophobia - not people who simply hold a predominantly conservative viewpoint on the issues of culture, race, and religion. A chunk of Trump's base so obviously meets her "deplorable" definition that it never occurred to me that your run-of-the-mill conservative would think it directed at them (assuming they saw the quote within context). Thank you for that insight. I suppose the next Democratic candidate has a lot of work to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland