Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 22,801 times

Advertisements

It seems as if Larry Hogan is all but assured of a victory next year and I can't for the life of me think of what he's done to deserve it. It seems like most Marylanders are fine with the status quo and will vote for Hogan just because he is a safe, inoffensive choice yet he hasn't really done much for this state. Some people I've talked to think he's made MD more competitive than VA in ruling jobs to the state but other than approving the Purple Line, his grandstanding on the Port Covington Amazon bid and some tax cuts, I don't really see how he can make MD compete with the powerhouse that is NOVA. I don't know where his so called pro-business credentials come from. In fact some of his policies like picking fights with Metro or cancelling Baltimore's red line subway in order to fund rural roads were few people live are counterproductive let alone his crazy plan to widen 270 to 6 or more lanes and introduce tolls. Meanwhile, the Democrat side seems to be incredibly crowded yet other than Ben Jelous, the PG Country leader and the lady who worked for Hillary, I have no idea who the rest of the candidates are. I'm also shocked by the huge amount of apathy I see among most people, especially working class voters. We definately won't see a race like the on they just had in Virginia, so what gives? Why is deep blue MD giving Hogan a free pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 01:37 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXNE View Post
Why is deep blue MD giving Hogan a free pass?
1. I very much disagree that Hogan's assured a win. I wouldn't even say he's favored, considering how toxic the GOP brand is, currently. Yes, Hogan has a relatively high approval rating, but so did Ehrlich. The approval rating is high because the state's humming along - which is great - but most people (rightly, I'd say) don't attribute that to Hogan, specifically.
2. I think many moderates are somewhat "giving Hogan a free pass" because he hasn't rocked the boat (yet). It's refreshing to see a Republican who isn't completely nutty when it comes to social and economic policy, basically. Though, again, I don't think people will automatically give him a 2nd term because "I've largely maintained the status quo" isn't exactly a resounding reason to re-elect.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:15 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
1. I very much disagree that Hogan's assured a win. I wouldn't even say he's favored, considering how toxic the GOP brand is, currently. Yes, Hogan has a relatively high approval rating, but so did Ehrlich. The approval rating is high because the state's humming along - which is great - but most people (rightly, I'd say) don't attribute that to Hogan, specifically.
2. I think many moderates are somewhat "giving Hogan a free pass" because he hasn't rocked the boat (yet). It's refreshing to see a Republican who isn't completely nutty when it comes to social and economic policy, basically. Though, again, I don't think people will automatically give him a 2nd term because "I've largely maintained the status quo" isn't exactly a resounding reason to re-elect.
This. Hogan has done nothing wrong, and many things right considering he is tasked with both trying to please his base, and work with a Legislature with a Super Majority of the opposite party determined to make him look as bad as possible.

That said, 2018 could be a GOP wipeout election. Too early to say for sure, but between voter turnout patterns and increased partisanship in 2017 elections, his reelection is anything but reassured.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:18 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
The re-election of any Republican in Maryland (well at least since they broke up the old Roscoe Bartlett 6th District) can never be assumed.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:21 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/50411827-post2.html

Old 12-16-2017, 11:19 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=50412232

Old 12-16-2017, 11:21 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
You know, we both should have given others some idea what we said in the links.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
It's refreshing to see a Republican who isn't completely nutty when it comes to social and economic policy,
It has been a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Mathias
Attached Thumbnails
Does Gov. Hogan Deserve to be Re-elected? Why are MD voters so apathetic?-mac.jpg  

Old 12-16-2017, 12:07 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
My first post (I live near Frederick, Md) and will head to the intro section next. We need to keep in mind that Larry Hogan gets NOTHING in the way of legislation unless it is completely agreeable to the overwhelmingly democratic majority legislative body and A.G. Frosh. So, there's little in the way of any legislative republican agenda coming out of the governor's office.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:31 PM

439 posts, read 425,374 times
Overall, I think he is trying to make changes to help. I know many Maryland retirees were hoping to see some type of tax break involving private pensions and IRA's but I can't see that happening. Even if he wanted to do something it would probably be opposed. I was so hopeful when he won, but after seeing the uphill battle with the legislative body I'm just frustrated. And tired of having so many retired friends move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland