U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 326 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to MD and am looking for a place with a good (well ranked) high school for my son. He is more interested in STEM, particularly the biomedical area. Could you suggest which schools to look at? Is Howard County similar to Montgomery County in terms of high school quality with respect to college readiness? Since my husband would be working in Johns Hopkins, the closer it is to Baltimore the better it would be, but I don't want to compromise the school. I am not familiar with that area and am currently looking at rankings through niche, usnews and great schools but would greatly appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 09:47 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,123,827 times
Howard County has very good schools and they rate very highly in the state and the nation. Montgomery County has more magnet programs. As a matter of policy, Howard County offers essentially the same curriculum in all schools. Within Howard County, there are preferences for certain high schools but I am personally happy that we don't track to one of those schools as they are highly highly competitive and I worry about the level of tension/anxiety that attending those schools would create for my children. So I will just say that you would be fine at any high school in Howard County. Every high school sends students to Ivy League schools and offers an extensive GT/AP program.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 PM

11,102 posts, read 18,736,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
So I will just say that you would be fine at any high school in Howard County. Every high school sends students to Ivy League schools and offers an extensive GT/AP program.
Agree with this. However, I suggest looking into River Hill High School in Clarksville. It is highly rated and close to the husband's work.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:30 AM

Here's a few more comments based on my living for 30 years in Maryland. The decision on a high school should consider the son's personality. If he could thrive in a high-pressure school among affluent kids, then River Hill could be good. If he is a more well-rounded kid who enjoys sports and extra-curricular activities, then a less competitve school like Reservoir or Atholton might be better, as he would have more chance to shine. Reservoir offers AP classes in math, science and computers.

I would not recommend some of the nearby Montgomery County schools as they have many kids from rental apartments: Blake, North Springbrook or Springbrook. However, Montgomery Blair offers a fine magnet program in science and math, but I am not sure it is worth the extra drive for the husband.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 AM

4,991 posts, read 3,173,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Agree with this. However, I suggest looking into River Hill High School in Clarksville. It is highly rated and close to the husband's work.
That depends. Is OP's husband's job at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab (in which case you are correct), or is it at Howard County General Hospital (in which case several high schools would be roughly equally close) or is it at the main JHMI campus in East Baltimore, or is it the University, or is it Bayview?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
That depends. Is OP's husband's job at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab (in which case you are correct), or is it at Howard County General Hospital (in which case several high schools would be roughly equally close) or is it at the main JHMI campus in East Baltimore, or is it the University, or is it Bayview?
I had assumed it was the APL because the OP said Howard County in the title. But I probably should not have made that assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or