U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 594 times

Advertisements

I'm formerly from the Baltimore County area, which has won me the honored prize of heading up the search for my firm's new D.C./Baltimore office expansion. It has been 15 years since I've spent any proper time in the area - so much has changed since! So I've come here for help as I have many times before...

Our office will need to be able to serve clients in downtown D.C., Baltimore City, Gaithersburg, and possibly even Tyson's Corner VA. Our goal is to have our consultants working on site with our clients 50% of the time, and 50% of the time in the central office.

Ideally I'd like to locate the office in a smaller township that has easy access to metro/MARC, or less-common commuter roads - mostly so the relocating team members will have a central area to move their families to. I had originally been thinking of Frederick; but research from this forum and Reddit suggest it would be a bit maddening for the Baltimore/D.C. clients.

Recommendations and considerations are very much welcome!

Thank you and cheers,
-Former Marylander.

P.S., I'm looking forward to moving back to the area to join the team at the MD office so extra points for a secret location that will allow me to live near the office and own ~5+ acres on a modest budget!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 06:47 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,624,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerMerrylander View Post
Ideally I'd like to locate the office in a smaller township that has easy access to metro/MARC, or less-common commuter roads - mostly so the relocating team members will have a central area to move their families to...........
P.S., I'm looking forward to moving back to the area to join the team at the MD office so extra points for a secret location that will allow me to live near the office and own ~5+ acres on a modest budget!
I'd suggest Laurel for access to the MARC trains. That and Bowie are decent places for workers to move to. Also, Greenbelt which will give them Metro access. None of these are bad for commuting to Baltimore either.

Good luck finding that secret location with 5 acres at a modest budget!!! I think you would have to drive an hour to the Eastern Shore or southern Maryland to find that.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:11 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,773,390 times
From having worked on the team that found new space in the DC area when the company I worked for merged with another company I believe you are missing the major driving points in the move.

1) Who are your clients? Will they need to come to your office?

2) Are you planning on hiring people who are already located in the area or having them relocate into the area.

3) Will your clients and or consultants need to use airports on a regular basis

4) Are you looking for 'image space' or lower key working space

5) How soon do you need the space? (are there contract start dates that demand a presence?)

6) And finally How much space?

Not sure where else you have had offices but this can be a major (and expensive) project.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:42 AM

26,848 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerMerrylander View Post
Our office will need to be able to serve clients in downtown D.C., Baltimore
(and their suburbs)
The odds of any one office meeting the goal are slim, so....
How does the CURRENT census lay out?
How do the growth/expansion forecasts layout?

Old 01-02-2018, 06:48 PM

605 posts, read 423,216 times
Either Elkridge, Laurel, or Columbia would be the best location for access to both Baltimore, DC, or Gaithersburg however neither location would give you all of the advantages that you are seeking especially regarding easy access to Tyson's Corner or access to five acres of land within easy commuting distance. At best you would be lucky to get two out of three things you re seeking due traffic conditions and the high property costs in the DC area.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 594 times
Thank you all for the responses, I hadn't considered Laurel/Greenbelt/Elkridge or Columbia, they all disappear quite nicely into the chaos of the surrounding suburbs. Sadly I've come to terms with not having the perfect location; so I'll take 3 out of 5 criteria, especially since my personal preference for land doesn't really weigh into the company's expansion.

MidValleyDad, all good questions that we are considering, but first we need to have some broad geographic areas to research the details for the cost-benefit analysis - which now we do! Luckily for our clients we are the ones that travel, so they will never have to tolerate the commute.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,768,940 times
Sounds like access to MD200 would be helpful in going any of the directions you need to go.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:37 PM

766 posts, read 620,588 times
Laurel/Savage might be the best option for you. If you need a small (< 2,500 sqft) Downtown Laurel might be perfect.

Access to highways, rail transit that connects to both DC and Baltimore's local transit systems, about as equitable to all areas you mentioned, safe, workplace-friendly amenities, available office space. Two major downsides: rush hour congestion and surprisingly poor local lodging options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or