U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 11:41 AM

8 posts, read 5,410 times

Advertisements

Considering building a large house about a mile away (maybe just a little further away) northeast from Alpha Ridge Landfill in Marriottsville off of Marriottsville Rd. The site would have well water, not public water. Is this an insane idea? Will we all slowly get cancer from landfill emissions over time? Some articles that I found from the 1990s concerned me about this. I would appreciate your thoughts on this!!! We are new to the area and don't know all of the intricacies of the history behind this landfill site and how it is currently affecting the surrounding community. All I know is that I lived less than a mile from a the Back River Wastewater Treatment Plane in Essex, MD for a few years and man, did it stink around our house & yard some days --- particularly after it rained...........I don't want to build a site near someplace like that again.

I understand that the landfill site has been "sealed" with a membrane and that they mainly do food waste composting and just collection/transportation to other places right now. However, they also initiated a gas-to-energy project recently that some residents were worreid about over the long term.

Is this area a terrible place to build a new home for long term outlook? We have the means to buy/build in Clarksville, Dayton etc. but the site that we are considering is much larger (3+ acres) for the same value as what you get 1 acre or less in Clarksville.

Will the area stink from the site? Are there still significant carcinogen risks from drinking well water from a source within 1 mile radius of this landfill site? Will the methane gases being emitted by the site be detectable at that 1 mile radius mark and slowly harm residents who live there?

I'm concerned that the landfill site will be reactivated in more significant ways in the future and/or that the area will remain "depressed" to typical home buyers, so that the value the new home won't increase much in value, since most buyers will have the same question that I have now, even 20 years later: why should we buy a home near a landfill, even if the landfill is no longer fully functioning or expanding?

The build site we're considering northeast of the landfill is actually about the same distance as Marriotts Ridge High School is from it. Does this make it OK? I would figure that Marriotts Ridge High School wouldn't be very popular or highly ranked if the landfill site was slowly poisoning the kids at the school from emissions or even if the emissions were harmless, but had a noticeable stench.

So what do you think? Is this a crazy idea or would it be good in the long run if we like the land site, and would it actually have the chance to gain significant value over the course of time, since the area has been artificially depressed and undervalued home price-wise because of the landfill? Will the well water be tainted? Will it be harmful to plant a garden on that plot of land?
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or