U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 08:39 AM

118 posts, read 47,454 times

Advertisements

Let me first say I'm not new to MD by any means. I graduated from UMD and visit the state fairly often. I will be wrapping up my post-bac teaching certification program in Massachusetts in early May. I had no choice but to complete the program in my home state due to the financial constraints of student teaching. While I'll always be proud of where I come from, I have been wanting to move permanently to Maryland for quite some time. Furthermore, I am afraid if I settle for a job near my hometown I will never leave and will come to regret it. If anyone could answer some of my questions that would be helpful.

Should I start applying for jobs in MD now even though I technically don't have the MD license yet? I've signed up for the necessary tests, if I indicate that on my application will it be enough to be taken seriously? I'd hate to apply now and not be taken seriously when I could have been hired simply by waiting until after taking the tests.

As I cannot take a day off from student teaching I cannot physically make it to any of the job fairs in the area and there are none where I am for Maryland schools. Should I cold call principals?

Should I consider applying for non-teaching jobs just as a way to get into the area? Obviously I have the UMD Career Center at my disposal, but I am afraid I wouldn't get hired in a non-teaching job as they'd see from my resume that that is my goal (in other words they'd be afraid I would leave as soon as I got a teaching job).

Thanks!

Last edited by MassTerp94; 02-07-2018 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 09:18 AM

26,837 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
Should I start applying for jobs in MD now even though...
I'd hate to apply now and not be taken seriously
Have you determined WHICH of the 23 County school systems you want to teach in?
iow... is this a MD thread or a MoCo or PG or Howard or B'more thread?

Quote:
Should I cold call principals?
Have you learned how those counties go about hiring new teachers?
In particular.. WHEN they make those decisions?

Quote:
Should I consider applying for non-teaching jobs just as a way to get into the area?
Anyone who can't be or isn't being recruited to come somewhere in particular
shouldn't even bother applying for any job if they aren't where the job is (MA or MD or MN).

1) MOVE to the County you want to work in.
2) Get the best GET BY job you can once there.
Settle in. Get your bearings. Contact your contacts.
3) Follow the new teacher hiring process as it's done there.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 1,453,831 times
I'd find a job before finding a place to live. Call the Board of Ed in areas/counties your interested in living in and ask them how to apply for a teaching job. I'm sure they get those calls all the time.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:48 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,769,813 times
Not sure what the school structure is where you are but in MD the County level is the one where hiring decisions are usually made. That means 23 Counties and Baltimore City. Look at contacting the personnel department in any counties you are interested and find what their process is. It might also depend what your specialty is. certain fields are in more demand than others. In general the counties will have to get their budget solidified (usually late May or so) then they have to find out how many teachers are retiring/leaving. Then they have to handle internal transfers. So some decisions may not be made until late June early July. I will say that some counties prefer to hire people who have worked as subs first so the idea of moving to where you want to work and learn the local culture.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:55 AM

13,758 posts, read 4,072,270 times
Get the job first ,then find out what course's you need to be certified in Maryland. Daughters Masters in early Childhood Education wasn't good enough and she needed 4 more course's to get a MD Certification to teach first grade.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:21 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,593,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Not sure what the school structure is where you are but in MD the County level is the one where hiring decisions are usually made. That means 23 Counties and Baltimore City. Look at contacting the personnel department in any counties you are interested and find what their process is. It might also depend what your specialty is. certain fields are in more demand than others. In general the counties will have to get their budget solidified (usually late May or so) then they have to find out how many teachers are retiring/leaving. Then they have to handle internal transfers. So some decisions may not be made until late June early July. I will say that some counties prefer to hire people who have worked as subs first so the idea of moving to where you want to work and learn the local culture.
I agree. Just google the individual counties and you'll see their hiring process on their website. For instance, Howard County Public School System is HCPSS If you do some googling, you'll get the other counties in your target areas.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:42 AM

13,758 posts, read 4,072,270 times
Just to add there are some very good "privet schools" in Maryland so don't over look those opportunities.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:56 PM

274 posts, read 539,481 times
I'll tell you right now, Anne Arundel is always looking for teachers, in particular, language teachers. Do you want to be on the eastern shore or western? I applied (fresh out of college) to Caroline County (rural eastern shore) and got hired right away.

Apply and many times on applications it'll say "Teaching license: date or expected date:___" so just start submitting applications or just call HRs and ask about if they accept applications from non-certified (but anticipating) teachers.

Baltimore city would snatch you up. Baltimore county. PG County. AACPS...all need teachers. You'll get hired somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or