U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 05:36 PM

54 posts, read 129,901 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a house on West Side that I fixed up really nicely, and I only visit on weekends as a getaway place from a larger metro area. But I find that since I'm not there that much, it can be challenging to maintain it; even for the little things like trash collection Monday and Thursday. Further, even though the house is minimally occupied, you couldn't tell it by the utility bills. In summary, I'd like to get a roommate. Houses need people in them, and the house is too nice to sit empty all the time.

Sure, I could rent out the whole house, but then I'd have to move all my stuff out and wouldn't have access to the property I've invested so much to rehab. Secondly, renting two of the four rooms would generate the same amount as the whole house anyway, and allow me to continue to use all other rooms in the home, which is fairly extensive.

The problem is, I don't know how to go about getting quality (and that is key) roommates in Cumberland, being such a small city. Craigslist isn't working, and the only other place I've been told to go is to the Time-News classifieds. And, of course, there's paranoia about opiod users, and just general low class tenants. I've spent near six figures rehabbing the house and don't want it treated poorly, be a victim of theft, as I have extensive personal property there, nor do I want to the place to be the nexus of any kind of shenanigans. I want quiet, studious academics or professionals. I really want a nurse or some other medical professional to rent the rooms. Property management companies want nothing to do with group houses but I'm unwilling to rent whole-house for this one. I've been doing AirBnB but the logistics of long distance BnB management is not really sustainable, not to mention nitpicky guest reviews and unpredictable income. So I guess in summary the question is, How can I get a good roommate in Cumberland?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 05:56 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeye View Post
Hi all,

I have a house on West Side that I fixed up really nicely, and I only visit on weekends as a getaway place from a larger metro area. But I find that since I'm not there that much, it can be challenging to maintain it; even for the little things like trash collection Monday and Thursday. Further, even though the house is minimally occupied, you couldn't tell it by the utility bills. In summary, I'd like to get a roommate. Houses need people in them, and the house is too nice to sit empty all the time.

Sure, I could rent out the whole house, but then I'd have to move all my stuff out and wouldn't have access to the property I've invested so much to rehab. Secondly, renting two of the four rooms would generate the same amount as the whole house anyway, and allow me to continue to use all other rooms in the home, which is fairly extensive.

The problem is, I don't know how to go about getting quality (and that is key) roommates in Cumberland, being such a small city. Craigslist isn't working, and the only other place I've been told to go is to the Time-News classifieds. And, of course, there's paranoia about opiod users, and just general low class tenants. I've spent near six figures rehabbing the house and don't want it treated poorly, be a victim of theft, as I have extensive personal property there, nor do I want to the place to be the nexus of any kind of shenanigans. I want quiet, studious academics or professionals. I really want a nurse or some other medical professional to rent the rooms. Property management companies want nothing to do with group houses but I'm unwilling to rent whole-house for this one. I've been doing AirBnB but the logistics of long distance BnB management is not really sustainable, not to mention nitpicky guest reviews and unpredictable income. So I guess in summary the question is, How can I get a good roommate in Cumberland?

Thanks
You can probably advertise for nursing students directly on community bulletin boards at Allegany College, or maybe even Frostburg State, although that is a longer haul. I would advertise in the Times-News as well, if you haven't already.

Other than that, my only advise is to pick a slightly higher price point to try and weed out those looking for dirt cheap rentals, then use MD Casesearch and any other available (and legal) ways of doing background checks on the people who are interested.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:57 PM

54 posts, read 129,901 times
Thanks,

On another note, I have been toying with the idea of becoming a landlord and a prospective property is on a street that I have seen come up in other posts as undesirable, Columbia St. The reason I'm interested in this property is because it's inexpensive and though it is currently 6br 2ba, there is an apartment that is separately metered and with a separate entrance and for a modest amount could be made into a fully separate unit, thus generating a high income ratio relative to the house cost.

Of course, Columbia St., opiod addicts. I have talked to a property management firm on Mechanic St. and they seem to handle tenant evaluations for proactive validation, and also seem to handle the more unpleasant tasks such as collection, eviction warrants, etc. and of course the routine maintenance stuff. While I'd like to avoid collections and evictions, it's nice knowing they could take care of it, and this house would just be for investment only and not have any of my personal property inside it.

I don't intend to be a slumlord, and I have a good track record as a landlord in my principal city. I'm just sort of wondering if a house rental on Columbia St. is destined to be a headache, or is there a possibility that it could be well managed and with not-too-problematic tenants. Everyone needs a place to live after all...

Old 02-20-2018, 06:05 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeye View Post
Thanks,

On another note, I have been toying with the idea of becoming a landlord and a prospective property is on a street that I have seen come up in other posts as undesirable, Columbia St. The reason I'm interested in this property is because it's inexpensive and though it is currently 6br 2ba, there is an apartment that is separately metered and with a separate entrance and for a modest amount could be made into a fully separate unit, thus generating a high income ratio relative to the house cost.

Of course, Columbia St., opiod addicts. I have talked to a property management firm on Mechanic St. and they seem to handle tenant evaluations for proactive validation, and also seem to handle the more unpleasant tasks such as collection, eviction warrants, etc. and of course the routine maintenance stuff. While I'd like to avoid collections and evictions, it's nice knowing they could take care of it, and this house would just be for investment only and not have any of my personal property inside it.

I don't intend to be a slumlord, and I have a good track record as a landlord in my principal city. I'm just sort of wondering if a house rental on Columbia St. is destined to be a headache, or is there a possibility that it could be well managed and with not-too-problematic tenants. Everyone needs a place to live after all...
I can't help you with rental property decisions, as that isn't my area of expertise. I will say that Columbia St. is among the most rundown streets in terms of housing stock and human capital in the city. Not a war zone or anything, but a place where the worst Cumberland has to offer is on full display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or