Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 08:48 PM

257 posts, read 223,124 times

Advertisements

Is there any place an hour or less to Fairfax? I don't want to move to VA/DC because I recently registered my car in MD and do not want to do it all over again for a job I may leave in a year or so.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:06 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,532,107 times
Brunswick, Md area, perhaps?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
I recently registered my car in MD
and do not want to do it all over again for a job I may leave in a year or so.
This is just silly. Get over it or find some other job NOW.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,951,123 times
Prince George's County
Parts of Anne Arundel County
Northern Charles County, including Waldorf

Frederick would be an hour to Fairfax City, but I-270 is almost always jammed in Montgomery County. However, it's around or just less than an hour to Reston or Herndon from Frederick City.

Of course, if you work in Alexandria, Prince George's County is right across the river.

Parts of Howard County are also possible as Columbia to Tysons is usually 50 minutes to an hour during a typical morning commute. Of course, you'll have to drive through the busy section Montgomery County for much of the commute.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:56 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
I would just do North Bethesda, or Bethesda, if I were you. You will survive a year there. However, you have options like Oxon Hill or Point of Rocks / Brunswick.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:48 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
OP, do you mean Fairfax County or Fairfax City?

Depending on where you'd be, I would consider Frederick County, MD. Point of Rocks is next to the U.S. 15 bridge over the Potomac River, from which you can get to Leesburg and points south. I've never tried this route during rush hour, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be better than doing I-270 and then I-495.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 AM

257 posts, read 223,124 times
OP here, my current work is centered around Tysons and Reston -- location varies. I'm down there 2-3 days a week. Though I've been looking for work closer to home for the past year. Currently driving down from Baltimore one day a week and staying overnight two days to free up some commuting time, the rest of the time I'm remote. It's a good thing I have a girlfriend down there that puts me up but getting to her in DC is still a pain. I have done this for nearly two years now and getting exhausted, hence the desire to move a bit closer and take different roads.

I am most interested in Frederick county of the places mentioned. Considering that I will be renting first to test the commute and general area before buying, do you recommend Frederick City, Brunswick or Point of Rocks? The latter two seem harder to find rentals.

It also looks possible to drive down from Frederick county, park at a W&OD trailhead in Leesburg and bike the rest of the way to work. That's an easy 18 miles or so on a greenway trail to Reston.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:27 AM

7,005 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
OP here, my current work is centered around Tysons and Reston -- location varies. I'm down there 2-3 days a week. Though I've been looking for work closer to home for the past year. Currently driving down from Baltimore one day a week and staying overnight two days to free up some commuting time, the rest of the time I'm remote. It's a good thing I have a girlfriend down there that puts me up but getting to her in DC is still a pain. I have done this for nearly two years now and getting exhausted, hence the desire to move a bit closer and take different roads.

I am most interested in Frederick county of the places mentioned. Considering that I will be renting first to test the commute and general area before buying, do you recommend Frederick City, Brunswick or Point of Rocks? The latter two seem harder to find rentals.

It also looks possible to drive down from Frederick county, park at a W&OD trailhead in Leesburg and bike the rest of the way to work. That's an easy 18 miles or so on a greenway trail to Reston.
Frederick is further away, but a bigger city. Brunswick and POR are best thought of as small towns with a growing commuter population. Depends on what living arrangement you prefer.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:14 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
I did the Rt-15 commute for 10+ years but that was 15 years ago. With the car I have now (adaptive cruise control) it would be easier than it was then. But I understand traffic is worse. One accident can tie up the road since it is one lane each way (with almost no passing zones) all the way to Leesburg. It was less stressful than I-270

Old 02-24-2018, 07:20 AM

19,505 posts, read 9,532,107 times
Another possible option. Renting in the Frederick area, possibly within close proximity to either MARC train stations.

There are a couple homes around the Brunswick area that rent out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland