U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:38 AM

23 posts, read 68,897 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping for some insight into best areas to live that are between or commutable to Aberdeen Proving Ground and DC.

Priorities include..

-Good public schools for our middle and high schoolers...the smaller the better. Academics are important but safety even more so.

-An area that is used to people moving in and out. Other "new kids". We're a military family and have spent most of our time overseas, so kids are used to making friends quickly and have grown to expect the same of others (not always easy to find!).

-Husband will do a year in DC and a few at APG, then probably back to DC. Something that's not a horrific commute both directions would be ideal.

-Open-minded community with a bit of culture thrown in. Access to outdoor activities (parks, bike trails, hiking etc)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 07:33 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,085,422 times
Somewhere in Howard County is probably your best bet.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:43 AM

26,839 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly McBen View Post
...areas to live that are between or commutable to Aberdeen Proving Ground and DC.
Have you even looked at a map? That range is most of central Maryland.

Quote:
Something that's not a horrific commute both directions would be ideal.
Not possible. That 80 mile trip in the best weather & road conditions is still a 90 minute drive.

Quote:
Husband will do a year in DC and a few at APG, then probably back to DC.
How many times do you wan to move?

Old 03-03-2018, 06:31 AM

3,044 posts, read 2,883,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Not possible. That 80 mile trip in the best weather & road conditions is still a 90 minute drive.

Harfor
This. Daily commute even 20 miles outside of D.C. into D,C. Is a nightmare. And Aberdeen is quite a hike daily anywhere outside of Harford County. There is no middle ground.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 AM

90 posts, read 65,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Yeah, this is a massive area. I wonder if OP could consider MARC train commute?

Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 AM

23 posts, read 68,897 times
Thank you all for your input. The questions were asked by someone (myself) who is unfamiliar with the area, has a very strong understanding of maps but wanted information from people who are much wiser and more experienced in regards to Maryland life.
So sounds like Harford County is the way to go. Tell me about the areas...where would you choose to spend a few years with your family? Anywhere up to an hour commute from APG will be ok. The DC year may or may not be an option, but the APG years most likely are a go. Ideally we'd like to live on APG itself but I'm not finding much good about the local school system (Aberdeen). Just want safe, decent academics and not an overly competitive vibe. A welcoming community would be great too.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:13 AM

26,839 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Anywhere up to an hour commute from APG will be ok.
The DC year may or may not be an option, but the APG years most likely are a go.
Ahh. This is a very different criteria than the first post.

Quote:
So sounds like Harford County is the way to go.
It's an up and coming area with good access to roads.

Quote:
...where would you choose to spend a few years with your family?
I'll point you to the Panera map. LINK
Let them and their market research people do the work for you.

Then compare those spots with the Goodwill store map. LINK
Avoid the overlap. This works just about anywhere.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:14 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,618,422 times
Quote:
So sounds like Harford County is the way to go.... Just want safe, decent academics and not an overly competitive vibe. A welcoming community would be great too.
Look into Bel Air and Fallston for some very good schools.

I suggest doing a search on these communities for more info on the "vibe".

Old 03-07-2018, 01:00 PM

90 posts, read 65,807 times
I'd say Bel Air (aka "Blair"), Fallston, Forest Hill. I have friends who commuted from Parkville to APG and didn't hate it. So, if you want to in a little more of a dense (which has pros and cons) area, look at White Marsh (Nottingham), Parkville, maybe Towson. Gunpowder Falls State park is close to these areas and a good spot for outdoorsy types.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:59 PM

667 posts, read 262,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDaaCo View Post
I'd say Bel Air (aka "Blair"), Fallston, Forest Hill. I have friends who commuted from Parkville to APG and didn't hate it. So, if you want to in a little more of a dense (which has pros and cons) area, look at White Marsh (Nottingham), Parkville, maybe Towson. Gunpowder Falls State park is close to these areas and a good spot for outdoorsy types.
You forgot Timonium, Lutherville, and Cockeysville. Might as well mention them if you are mentioning Towson.

Must be a lot of hiring going on up there. The areas mentioned in the above first sentence make the most sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or