U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 1,773 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Having lived in the New Orleans, La area my entire life and working for the same company for the past 12 years; my family and I are planning to relocate to the Salisbury area for a new job. We are both excited and extremely nervous about this potentially life-changing move.

We are a family of four with two boys that are 9 and 5 years of age. They go to public school here and do well there, we're fine with continuing this way provided the public school systems are decent where we move.

Salary hasn't been negotiated yet but based on Zillow it looks like we're in the ballpark of ~$1,500/mo for rent which we can make work. If you disagree with this assessment, by all means, let me know.

We are not interested in buying a house immediately, we will most likely rent for several months to a year while we learn about the area and find where we fit best.

The wife and I have both lived in very rural and very urban environments. We prefer rural, in fact, a big yard where neighbors are not right on top of us would be a HUGE selling point. Good down to Earth people would be another!

I wouldn't mind a ~30-minute commute back and forth to and from work. My concerns with Salisbury is the crime rate and sub-par schools that folks on this forum seem to be very vocal about. We've looked at Berlin and while nice, it appears to be very expensive. Fruitland looked nice and affordable but how is the crime and sense of community?

This has gotten long enough... If you made it this far I certainly appreciate any feedback you're willing to share.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-03-2018 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: poster request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 AM

5,097 posts, read 1,453,831 times
I'd consider some areas in Delaware which are within your 30 mile radius

Old 03-13-2018, 04:53 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,739,836 times
If income taxes were lower and hospitalization better, I'd consider moving from the Washington DC area to the eastern shore (MD), including the Salisbury area. Having been to Salisbury to conduct a 2-day audit, I think the crime rate that some posters here complain about is exaggerated. In other words, I suspect crime will affect you only if you go out looking for it. As for schools, I'd imagine nearly all eastern shore public school systems are better than anything New Orleans has to offer.

There are posters here very knowledgeable about life on the eastern shore. Give it some time; they will answer your concerns.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:01 PM

766 posts, read 619,826 times
Do you like the ocean? If so, you may want to consider the area east of Salisbury from Willards to Berlin. Keeps the beach and your commute within a half hour even in summer. Lots of land, great neighbors, inexpensive housing, probably the best school options for the region.

There are probably some really great houses for rent in Willards or Pittsville. It might help you see if you want to stay around.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 PM

7 posts, read 2,629 times
Have heard Delmar, north of Salisbury, is a popular spot now, and building a hug new library there. We are in the same boat and going down on spring break to look areas over.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 1,751 times
I have lived around Easton (about an hour northwest of Salisbury) most of my life, currently work in Baltimore and go to Salisbury fairly frequently. Salisbury has grown a lot since I was a kid but I seriously don't see the crime that people on here comment about. There are areas around Salisbury to avoid, buy visibilly you can tell but not like you are running red lights to get out of an area. So like the other poster said unless you are looking for crime you should be fine. It doesn't sound like you are looking to be in the city limits of Salisbury so I can't imagine crime being an issue with housing. If you are looking for a nice home with acre+ lots there are some nice communities off Nanicoke Rd and Pemberton Dr. Once you get away from Salisbury or smaller towns the lots get larger and it quickly gets rural.

The one amenity that Salisbury lacks is a decent grocery store. I think Acme is about the most 'upscale' grocery store and it's not in the best area of town nor really 'upscale'. Other than that it's 2 WalMarts and a handful of Food Lion's and a Save-a-lot. I think a Lidl and Aldi are being build along North Rt. 13.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:36 AM

82 posts, read 38,564 times
I've only been through the area on the way to Chincoteague, VA (which is a wonderful place for migratory fowl in the fall and has a great beach... miles and miles of it). The city looks depressed, but there are plenty of rural areas around it--not forested generally, but farmland. In general, people on the Eastern Shore are friendly, unassuming, unpretentious. The land is flat, so for that you would feel at home. If you like the out-of-doors or wildlife, there are some wonderful National Parks/Wildlife Refuges on Delmarva (Assateague, Blackwater... in addition to Chincoteague). There is some hurricane risk, but nothing like the New Orleans area.

Last edited by phaneuf; 03-30-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 11:52 AM

If taxes are a factor in influencing where you live, Maryland is a high tax state. The state income tax rate for people making $3,000 - $100,000 per year is 4.75%, but add to that Wicomico County's flat 3.20% tax rate, leaving you with a 7.95% state and local tax burden. In Delaware, the top bracket pays 6.6%, but that only kicks in after $60,000.

The average property tax rate for Wicomico County (MD) is $10.41 per $1000 of house. In neighboring Sussex County (DE), the rate is only $3.81 per $1000.

Plus, Maryland has a 6% sales tax. In Delaware it's 0%.

Last edited by phaneuf; 03-30-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 12:53 PM

32,101 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
If taxes are a factor in influencing where you live, Maryland is a high tax state. The state income tax rate for people making $3,000 - $100,000 per year is 4.75%, but add to that Wicomico County's flat 3.20% tax rate, leaving you with a 7.95% state and local tax burden. In Delaware, the top bracket pays 6.6%, but that only kicks in after $60,000.

The average property tax rate for Wicomico County (MD) is $10.41 per $1000 of house. In neighboring Sussex County (DE), the rate is only $3.81 per $1000.

Plus, Maryland has a 6% sales tax. In Delaware it's 0%.
Ummm, no. The property tax rate for Wicomico County is 0.9398/$100 of assessed value.
http://dat.maryland.gov/Documents/Ta...2017%20(3).pdf

So a house valued at $200K would pay $1879.60 in property taxes ($200000/100 X .9398=$1879.60) exclusive of any special assessments for trash, water/sewer, emergency services, etc.

The utility and personal property taxes on the linked chart apply only to utilities (phone, electric, cable) and businesses, not to residential properties.

OP, be aware that if you live in an incorporated Town that you will also have property taxes to pay to it.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ummm, no. The property tax rate for Wicomico County is 0.9398/$100 of assessed value.
http://dat.maryland.gov/Documents/Ta...2017%20(3).pdf

So a house valued at $200K would pay $1879.60 in property taxes ($200000/100 X .9398=$1879.60) exclusive of any special assessments for trash, water/sewer, emergency services, etc.

The utility and personal property taxes on the linked chart apply only to utilities (phone, electric, cable) and businesses, not to residential properties.

OP, be aware that if you live in an incorporated Town that you will also have property taxes to pay to it.
Thank you for the correction! We still pay too much tax in Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or