U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 02:53 PM

138 posts, read 99,271 times

Advertisements

I may have to stay in Maryland for awhile, but I would like to choose somewhere I would actually like. My family moved to Charles County (between Waldorf and La Plata) while I was almost in middle school. Now as an adult, I cannot wait to leave. I honestly have few good memories, and many of my friends have moved out of state or out of the county. It is not a horrible place to leave, but There is nothing desirable to me (but the house I live in). I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but this area is not for me or my family. I am hoping the house will be sold this year, and if not, well I will be moving regardless.

What areas would you recommend in Maryland that are at least somewhat diverse and with very low crime, under 400K. Yes, anywhere in Maryland or parts of Virginia, or anywhere else nearby.

I admit, I love homes with some land. Not the homes where you can get a stick and poke your neighbors window.

-Opened to townhouses, condos and maybe apartments. I'm very curious on the responses. Be as honest as possible. Also, feel free to be detailed.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 03:26 PM

4,990 posts, read 8,072,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameme234 View Post
I may have to stay in Maryland for awhile, but I would like to choose somewhere I would actually like. My family moved to Charles County (between Waldorf and La Plata) while I was almost in middle school. Now as an adult, I cannot wait to leave. I honestly have few good memories, and many of my friends have moved out of state or out of the county. It is not a horrible place to leave, but There is nothing desirable to me (but the house I live in). I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but this area is not for me or my family. I am hoping the house will be sold this year, and if not, well I will be moving regardless.

What areas would you recommend in Maryland that are at least somewhat diverse and with very low crime, under 400K. Yes, anywhere in Maryland or parts of Virginia, or anywhere else nearby.

I admit, I love homes with some land. Not the homes where you can get a stick and poke your neighbors window.

-Opened to townhouses, condos and maybe apartments. I'm very curious on the responses. Be as honest as possible. Also, feel free to be detailed.

Thank you.

What is it specifically you don't like about where you live?

Old 03-26-2018, 06:46 AM

11,256 posts, read 19,786,471 times
Quote:

Do you have any constraints about a job? I like Frederick County, which has open rolling farmland. You could commute to Montgomery County if you needed to work there.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 AM

917 posts, read 2,283,338 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Maybe right across the Nice Bridge into King George, VA assuming commuting won't be an issue. Your money will go further there and you will still be very close to your family in Charles County. That area really seems to be on an upswing.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:55 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,647,750 times
Quote:
Howard County meets these criteria.

Quote:

Surely you must realize that these two statements are contradictory. Townhouses, condos, and apartments are high-density dwelling types, and thus by definition are going to be crowded in together. Some developments are designed to be less "packed in" than others, but you're going to need to go single-family if you want any appreciable amount of land.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:43 AM

10,461 posts, read 5,928,514 times
Quote:

Thank you.

Well when you use phrases like "horrible" and "cannot wait to leave" yeah the post was offensive, now you want our help?

It's as if you are totally unaware that there are plenty of other options besides the area between LaPlata and Waldorf as you judge the entire state.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:32 AM

1,087 posts, read 473,768 times
This comes down to probably boring.
I have no idea what this poster wants. Everything within a half an hour walking distance or less? Or in the middle of nowhere?
Who knows?
Nothing wrong with La Plata. Very homogeneous. Maybe that's the problem.
For affordability Virginia might make sense. Property Taxes in Maryland are high, and keep getting higher.
A lot of Howard County is more expensive than northern Baltimore County. Property taxes might be higher in Howard, not sure.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:47 PM

15,400 posts, read 5,217,904 times
The OP sounds young (no disrespect) and like all other young people want to leave as soon as they can from where they grew up.You never mention a job which limits suggestions.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:46 PM

1,087 posts, read 473,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
The OP sounds young (no disrespect) and like all other young people want to leave as soon as they can from where they grew up.You never mention a job which limits suggestions.
Not much going on in that area for jobs. Pretty close to the Tidewater of Maryland, and northern Virginia which is in the middle of nowhereville. I know people from that area, and that is the problem with it. Nothing there.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:52 PM

15,400 posts, read 5,217,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Not much going on in that area for jobs. Pretty close to the Tidewater of Maryland, and northern Virginia which is in the middle of nowhereville. I know people from that area, and that is the problem with it. Nothing there.
Not true ,plenty going on there and you are around 20/25 mins from Fredericksburg VA.many people,especialy young people feel that way about where they grow up,doesn't make it true. Hense my question about his (the OP) job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or