U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:23 AM

4 posts, read 2,070 times

Advertisements

Hello!

25 years old male. I am moving to Southern MD area due to my new job in leonardtown.

I am looking to find a neighborhood where my commute is less than 45min, but be close to DC as well. Ideally somewhere in the middle between Leonardtown and DC. Looking for a safe neighbordhood with malls, restaurants, etc.

Thank you so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 04:07 AM

13,758 posts, read 4,072,270 times
There is Calvert County and Charles County . Waldorf is the big city in Charles County yet it has it's problems,LaPlata is nice .There is the Mall in Waldorf but I find that more of a negative instead of a positive Malls are outdated .
Calvert has no Mall but you are close to Annapolis so there is that. If you look at PG County I would look at some of the new developments in Brandywine Md.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:37 AM

3,280 posts, read 4,600,818 times
This linked website will provide all you need to know about Saint Mary's County.

Southern Maryland Online™ - Your on-line community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's Counties.™

On the left side of the homepage, click on "Relocate", "Real Estate," "Dating" "Community" or any other items on the list.

They also have a "Forums" section called "Life in Southern Maryland" where people comment or ask questions about the area.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:19 PM

Are there any apartment communities in Waldorf or La Plata that are well-managed and safe?

Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 AM

11 posts, read 6,250 times
I live near Leonardtown and don't know that area well but would recommend looking at apartments along Billingsley Rd, St Charles Parkway, and Piney Church Rd all south of Rt. 301. You're probably looking at about an 80 minute daily round trip. There are apartments that are closer.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:13 AM

5,097 posts, read 1,453,831 times
if safety is a concern, LaPlata would be much safer than Waldorf.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:17 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if safety is a concern, LaPlata would be much safer than Waldorf.
And then there's the leisure time activities available in La Plata:

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/43242...n-and-assault/

I'm going to have fun asking my friend on the La Plata Town Council about this one when I next see her.

Ok, all kidding aside.

La Plata isn't bad but what you have to realize that in moving to Southern Maryland you're moving to what is essentially a fairly to very rural area made up of what amount to bedroom communities for DC and the traditional (more or less) rural activities and occupations.

Restaurants are generally, note I said generally, of the chain variety although there is a mix of local ones, typically orbiting around seafood. Malls? The one was already mentioned.

You'll see guys in camouflage (waterfowl and archery seasons for deer) as well a blaze orange, a lot of boats with fishing gear or just for pleasure. If you're near the water you'll see watermen oystering in the winter and pulling crab pots in the summer.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 04-15-2018 at 06:44 AM..

Old 04-15-2018, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the replies! Are there any apartments in La plata? It seems like there's no apartments in La plata. Also, would Leonardtown/California be considered safer community compared to waldorf/la plata?

Thank you guys for the help in advance. It really is a big help for me since I have no idea with the area.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Waldorf would likely be considered the least safe of those you mentioned but the problems there tend to be in specific areas and, until recently, the aforementioned mall.

You can Google apartment rentals for each, this site frowns on those types of links.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:54 PM

13,758 posts, read 4,072,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alannnae View Post
Thanks for the replies! Are there any apartments in La plata? It seems like there's no apartments in La plata. Also, would Leonardtown/California be considered safer community compared to waldorf/la plata?

Thank you guys for the help in advance. It really is a big help for me since I have no idea with the area.

Not a large selection of Apartments in L Plata. Waldorf does have it's problems but there is no "wide spread
area of crime". As I said before it's big and in being so has more crime than Leonardtown/California. The new section of Apartments and townhouse's by the Maryland Blue Crab Baseball stadium(Regency Stadium) are very nice and seem very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or