U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:18 AM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I know it was Hogan who got rid of it,not a fan of Martin myself. Rumor years ago was that Louis had all the property on the Calvert side of the bay so when they build a "second" bay bridge it would have to go through him. Yes I did ,the company I worked for at the time was always having some sort of party or meetings and he was always there ,he always remembered my first name and that I had come to Maryland from NJ.
Actually both sides of the Bay. There was a survey done about 20 or so years ago during one of the periodic "We're gonna build another bridge across the Bay" studies and it was discovered that most of his property in Dorchester County (where the other end of a bridge would be) was either under water or had turned into tidal marsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 05:14 PM

608 posts, read 400,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
someone should give him a fast foot up his ass as he leaves! Thanks to lovely people like this in annapolis you have one of the biggest tax burdens in the county, (democrat party) so for all the big supporters on this blog, i want to you to thank this jackass -and people like him- when you go to do your taxes, and when you look at your pay check, and check out how 70% of our taxes goes out to the ridiculous education bureaucracy we have here in lovely maryland. Oh, and lets not forget the funding for the shooting gallery called baltimore city. Yes lets thank this nitwit, great job!
i do not know mr. Miller but i do believe in setting a limit on how long someone can stay in office. He may know more because of the length of tenure as a politician but that does not mean he is supportive of all the counties or cities in maryland. I live in baltimore city and i can't help but wonder what would happen in the city if we stopped supporting it financially. Talking about taxes, i remember when politicians told us back in th sixties that the piggyback tax was only for a year.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:01 PM

170 posts, read 84,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
i do not know mr. Miller but i do believe in setting a limit on how long someone can stay in office. He may know more because of the length of tenure as a politician but that does not mean he is supportive of all the counties or cities in maryland. I live in baltimore city and i can't help but wonder what would happen in the city if we stopped supporting it financially. Talking about taxes, i remember when politicians told us back in the sixties that the piggyback tax was only for a year.
Yes, this would be a great day indeed if that happened.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 PM

4,560 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Terms limits seem undemocratic to me. If the people in the district want the guy to stay in office, who are people outside the district to say they can't do that?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 PM

3,282 posts, read 4,604,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
To bad many of you don't remember Louis Goldstein, now there was a MD politician!!! Again he was someone O met through my job at the time and met him many more times after that and he remember my name ...that always surprised me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_L._Goldstein
Louis Goldstein's BROTHER in 1969 bought the small Marshall Hall Amusement Park and announced plans to build a "Spirit of America" theme park similar to Disney World, while keeping the small amusement park running for another 10 years. This planned, massive theme park would have threatened the scenic view from across the river at Mount Vernon estate, Va. Mr. Goldstein's plans drove up the acquisition price of the property by the National Park Service to $10 million - 10 times what it had been a few years before - in order to protect the scenic view.

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/...hingtons-vista

Old 04-27-2018, 07:13 AM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Terms limits seem undemocratic to me. If the people in the district want the guy to stay in office, who are people outside the district to say they can't do that?
I used to be in favor of term limits but then my thinking "evolved" and I came to realize that term limits can be imposed every election. I also saw people being elected locally who had never, not once, ever attended a Town Council or County Commissioner meeting before being elected and only knew what they thought they knew from gossip and innuendo. Plus, a lot of them were dumber than a box of rocks.

Having said that, voting out people at the state and federal level is difficult due to gerrymandering. And to be fair, Maryland isn't the only state that does that although here it's almost an art form.

Since this thread started out being about Mike Miller let's use him as the example.

His district was originally contained in Prince George's with a sliver of Charles. Due to changing demographics in PG and population growth in Calvert his district was slid down and Calvert's single Senate District was shifted to encompass a big chunk of St. Mary's.

I mentioned demographics, and because I don't care what I say, and never have in most aspects of my life, I'll be honest. Miller's PG district got Blacker and there was concern he would lose.

So the district was shifted into northern Calvert where all the White Flight Democrats from PG moved. But a funny thing happened, those Democrats from PG moved to Calvert and became Republicans. Enough so that the 9-1 registration advantage Democrats had in 1985 is now 32% D, 34% R, 34% I and other in the County. As a result Republicans have dominated County elections the last several cycles..

Anyway, back to Miller. In the elections Miller has been a Senate candidate in Calvert he's lost that vote. The vote that keeps him in office is what he gets from his remaining district in PG and the sliver of Charles he has.

The same thing was done with Hoyer, his district slid south but that was to facilitate the creation of a majority/minority district in northern PG/southern Montgomery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or