U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:04 PM

102 posts, read 71,474 times

Advertisements

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Thomas V. Miller Jr. (born December 3, 1942), known as Mike Miller, is the president of the Maryland Senate. He has been a state senator representing the 27th District since 1975 and has served as president since January 1987, longer than any other senate president in Maryland history.[citation needed]

Miller was born in Clinton, Maryland, and attended Surrattsville High School. He graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park with a B.S. in business administration in 1964, and graduated from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1967 with LL.B. and J.D. degrees.[1] In 1971, he was elected to the Maryland House of Delegates from the third legislative district of Maryland in Prince George's County, and served in that position until his election to the state senate in 1975.[citation needed]

The Senate office building in Annapolis is named after him due to his being the longest-serving Senate president in the history of the state legislature.

The first of ten siblings, Senator Miller is married, has five children and fourteen grandchildren, and lives in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland.[2]

For the love of God, PLEASE GO AWAY Mike Miller you CAREER POLITICIAN PARASITE!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 02:45 PM

13,840 posts, read 4,103,124 times
I like the guy,I hope he stays forever.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:40 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,465,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
From Wikipedia:

For the love of God, PLEASE GO AWAY Mike Miller you CAREER POLITICIAN PARASITE!!!!!
I've never understood this complaint. Why would you think a politician with experience is inherently worse than one without? Do you think that about all fields or only when it comes to crafting legislation? Someone should "go away" once they are no longer the best candidate for the job, whether that's the case after one year or fifty.

You're unfamiliar with the salary if you think he's a public servant - I mean "PARASITE!!!!" - for the paycheck.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:38 AM

32,156 posts, read 39,250,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I like the guy,I hope he stays forever.
You must be on his good side. I've been on both and much prefer where I am right now on the good end.

Since his district was moved to include northern Calvert, Miller has been incredibly helpful for us, especially the two towns. His ability to push through grant funding as well as other monies for us has been phenomenal. Our previous State Senator didn't much get the County, or the Towns, much help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
I've never understood this complaint. Why would you think a politician with experience is inherently worse than one without? Do you think that about all fields or only when it comes to crafting legislation? Someone should "go away" once they are no longer the best candidate for the job, whether that's the case after one year or fifty.

You're unfamiliar with the salary if you think he's a public servant - I mean "PARASITE!!!!" - for the paycheck.
I used to be a big believer in term limits but have evolved (I think that's the new term when someone changes his mind).

Yes, new blood needs to come in but for public office someone with an institutional memory is a necessity, someone that knows the why of things that were done. Too many new legislators at all levels get elected with the idea of enacting scorched earth policies without understanding why things were done. An example down here is ag preservation, various County Commission candidates have opposed that for decades because they believe asphalt and condos show you're serious about "business".

New legislators at every level get rolled by the bureaucracy every time, and just when that new official starts to understand what he's supposed to be doing he's gone if there are term limits.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:20 AM

13,840 posts, read 4,103,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You must be on his good side. I've been on both and much prefer where I am right now on the good end.

Since his district was moved to include northern Calvert, Miller has been incredibly helpful for us, especially the two towns. His ability to push through grant funding as well as other monies for us has been phenomenal. Our previous State Senator didn't much get the County, or the Towns, much help.

I used to be a big believer in term limits but have evolved (I think that's the new term when someone changes his mind).

Yes, new blood needs to come in but for public office someone with an institutional memory is a necessity, someone that knows the why of things that were done. Too many new legislators at all levels get elected with the idea of enacting scorched earth policies without understanding why things were done. An example down here is ag preservation, various County Commission candidates have opposed that for decades because they believe asphalt and condos show you're serious about "business".

New legislators at every level get rolled by the bureaucracy every time, and just when that new official starts to understand what he's supposed to be doing he's gone if there are term limits.
I first met his family when I moved here to MD in 1980 ,his uncle BK Miller was a Legend .

Old 04-25-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I first met his family when I moved here to MD in 1980 ,his uncle BK Miller was a Legend .
Yours is more of a personal relationship whereas mine is political/professional. I do know his daughter who's a lawyer (don't ask, not me).

I kind of shudder looking at the day when he leaves office because his replacement will have zero interest in Calvert for a number of reasons. I don't wish to name who I've heard is the frontrunner for that but she's nuts.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM

4,955 posts, read 3,142,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I kind of shudder looking at the day when he leaves office because his replacement will have zero interest in Calvert for a number of reasons.
The president of the state senate should be interested in Maryland as a whole, not just one particular part of it. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking . . .

I am not at all acquainted with Senator Miller, but if he's hung on this long, I would have to guess that the answer to the OP's question is "When they carry him out in a box."

Old 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The president of the state senate should be interested in Maryland as a whole, not just one particular part of it. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking . . .

I am not at all acquainted with Senator Miller, but if he's hung on this long, I would have to guess that the answer to the OP's question is "When they carry him out in a box."
Yes, but the first duty of every elected representative at every level is to the people in his district.

Someone in another thread mentioned that I know a goodly number of Maryland officials, which is true. But knowing a lot of them isn't as important as knowing, and being on good terms with, the right ones. Miller is one of those.

Maryland, like most if not all states and unlike the federal government, has to have a balanced budget. So when it starts to hand out discretionary spending, which accounts for only 18% of the budget because the rest is already mandated to go here or there, like with the bond bills you have to have someone to shepherd that request through the process which ends at the Board of Public Works (Governor, Comptroller, (State Treasurer) for approval or denial.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 04-25-2018 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 AM

4,948 posts, read 4,653,584 times
The term is limited to the number of times a candidate can convince more of the voters to vote for them rather than for the opponent.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:18 PM

170 posts, read 85,009 times
Someone should give him a fast foot up his ass as he leaves! Thanks to lovely people like this in Annapolis you have one of the biggest tax burdens in the county, (Democrat Party) so for all the big supporters on this blog, I want to you to thank this jackass -and people like him- when you go to do your taxes, and when you look at your pay check, and check out how 70% of our taxes goes out to the ridiculous education bureaucracy we have here in lovely Maryland. Oh, and lets not forget the funding for the shooting gallery called Baltimore city. Yes lets thank this Nitwit, great job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or