Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 07:22 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The OP asked why Prince George's County is so bad, and commented on it appearing "ghetto." He contrasted it with other, more pleasant counties in the Washington metropolitan area. My response is an explanation for why PG appears to be so ghetto.

As for whether or not the OP is a troll, I'll leave that for the moderators to decide.
No, all you mdid is perpetuate a false narrative and try to make it a fact and may I add not very well either.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:55 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find it amusing how many posters on this thread are denigrating the OP or pointing out the exceptions instead of just answering the question. Sure, parts of Prince George's County are very nice. Sure, parts of Fairfax County aren't very nice. But the OP's point remains: large swaths of P.G. aren't very nice, while large swaths of Fairfax (and other counties in suburban DC) are.

As for an answer to the question, I would say it's demographics. Here are the relevant statistics:

Prince George's population
White: 13.0%

Asian: 4.2%

Black: 62.0%

Hispanic: 17.8%

Fairfax population
White: 51.2%
Asian: 19.0%

Black: 9.5%

Hispanic: 16.1%

Anyone not blinded by PC will see these numbers and understand why those two counties are so different, even though they're in the same metropolitan area.

That's a crock of bull. No it is not true that "large swaths" of PG County aren't nice. The majority of the county exists outside of the Beltway. The National Harbor is nice, Woodmore Town Center/ Glendale/ Bowie is nice. The new Riverdale Station development in University Park is nice. Much of Fort Washington/ Tantallion is nice. Mitchellville, Church Road, Enterprise Road/ Annapolis rd, Fairwood, Greenbelt, parts of Laurel etc are nice and College Park is redeveloping very nicely.

The OP drove around a couple of areas probably only get outside the car to explore to use the bathroom, and just threw up some baseless post about PG being awful in the MD State Forum, knowing well it would have gotten blasted in the Washington DC suburbs forum.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:13 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I knew the OP wasn’t serious the second they used the word “ghetto”.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's a crock of bull. No it is not true that "large swaths" of PG County aren't nice. The majority of the county exists outside of the Beltway. The National Harbor is nice, Woodmore Town Center/ Glendale/ Bowie is nice. The new Riverdale Station development in University Park is nice. Much of Fort Washington/ Tantallion is nice. Mitchellville, Church Road, Enterprise Road/ Annapolis rd, Fairwood, Greenbelt, parts of Laurel etc are nice and College Park is redeveloping very nicely.

The OP drove around a couple of areas probably only get outside the car to explore to use the bathroom, and just threw up some baseless post about PG being awful in the MD State Forum, knowing well it would have gotten blasted in the Washington DC suburbs forum.
I agree.

"Nice" is subjective. As I said a few years ago, just because a place isn't all shiny and new doesn't mean it is not a nice place to live or "sketchy." Though RT. 1 is redeveloping, the neighborhoods around RT. 1 have always been nice single-family home neighborhoods. This includes Hollywood, Berwyn Heights, Lakeland, College Park (Old Town), Hyattsville and Mt. Rainier (hidden gems even before the Arts District), Adelphi. Then there's Calverton, etc. All inside the Beltway.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:22 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

In addition to these areas , the very rural southern portion of the county is nice, quiet, and peaceful too if one likes country living.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:36 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Yeah I feel you. I think i saw some teen in Bowie smoking outside a 711 the other day. What a ghetto!!!!!!. Man and don't even get me started on Mitchelville and Upper Marlboro. All those gated neighborhoods are hiding thugs!!!!!!!

/s

Old 05-25-2018, 08:46 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
In the case of Upper Marlboro you have take into account the mean streets of Marlton. Which was how a kid described them to me one time explaining why he was such a **** in school. He said he lived on the streets there and had to be hard.

Yeah, I've been to Tam O'Shanter Way.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:13 PM

59 posts, read 68,315 times
I find it really sad that people just have this bad image of Prince George's County in their mind before they even get to experience it. My guess is that the OP saw alot of "people of color" and just assumed that the whole county is a wasteland. Now granted there are some pockets of Prince George's that really are not desirable areas that isn't true for the whole county. Being a resident of Prince George's County I think there are some very nice areas that compare very well to areas of Arlington, Montgomery, etc such as Woodmore, National Harbor, Riverdale Town Center, College Park, Laurel, Upper Marlboro, Bowie, Greenbelt, etc. Even so, the county is constantly improving too. Crime is down, schools are improving, and more development is coming. Just because it is majority black doesn't automatically place it in the waste bin to be crapped on.

The fact that the OP learned so much from a "drive" through a few areas in the county, such as high crime, drug use, poor school system, and poverty (wealthiest majority black county in the United States)..... lets me know this cannot be a serious post and is based on other factors and prejudiced opinions.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:48 PM

182 posts, read 247,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merotti View Post
I find it really sad that people just have this bad image of Prince George's County in their mind before they even get to experience it. My guess is that the OP saw alot of "people of color" and just assumed that the whole county is a wasteland. Now granted there are some pockets of Prince George's that really are not desirable areas that isn't true for the whole county. Being a resident of Prince George's County I think there are some very nice areas that compare very well to areas of Arlington, Montgomery, etc such as Woodmore, National Harbor, Riverdale Town Center, College Park, Laurel, Upper Marlboro, Bowie, Greenbelt, etc. Even so, the county is constantly improving too. Crime is down, schools are improving, and more development is coming. Just because it is majority black doesn't automatically place it in the waste bin to be crapped on.

The fact that the OP learned so much from a "drive" through a few areas in the county, such as high crime, drug use, poor school system, and poverty (wealthiest majority black county in the United States)..... lets me know this cannot be a serious post and is based on other factors and prejudiced opinions.

Are you kidding me , Laurel, Greenbelt? Arm Pitts of MD.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:33 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
Are you kidding me , Laurel, Greenbelt? Arm Pitts of MD.
...........and your proof to back up your factless claims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland