U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 05:12 PM

13 posts, read 5,447 times

Advertisements

Spent the last couple weekends driving around the DC suburbs since I am planning on relocating to there from New Jersey. I was impressed by what I saw in Northern Virginia and Howard/ Montgomery county in terms of the houses, school district, friendliness of the people, shopping, safety, and general aesthetic. PG county however does not seem like an ideal place to live by any means, from what I saw.

My question is, why is PG county so bad? Hate to say it but much of the county could be described as "the ghetto". High crime, poorly maintained houses, poor school system, lots of drug issues, and even poverty can be found in most of the county. With it's proximity to DC, I would imagine PG to be as nice as MoCo and Loudoun, but that's not the case. I just don't get why PG is so undesirable and crime-ridden while the rest of the DC metro area is friendly, well-educated, wealthy and one of the best suburbs to live anywhere in the US.

Thank you.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:25 PM

13,762 posts, read 4,077,184 times
WOW .I think you need to drive around alot more.

.........and learn what forum to post in.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:32 PM

13 posts, read 5,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
WOW .I think you need to drive around alot more.

.........and learn what forum to post in.
Oops, I am new here and didn't realize I misplaced this thread.

I drove through College Park, Hyattsville, Beltsville, Cheverly, Landover, Chillum, and Capital Heights. All of these areas seem undesirable. However, right outside of PG County in Silver Spring, Bethesda, and Takoma Park, things seem much better. This is just what I saw. Unless there are desirable areas of PG that I have missed.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:41 PM

170 posts, read 84,414 times
Because its full of thug black people;the kind that just murdered that female cop in Baltimore and run by extreme PC Liberal types.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 PM

32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Cheverly and College Park are considered desirable towns. The first has some serious old money and has historically been the home of many of the County's movers and shakers. College Park is home to many UMD faculty. Hyattsville is revitalizing to an extent.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post

I drove through College Park, Hyattsville, Beltsville, Cheverly, Landover, Chillum, and Capital Heights. All of these areas seem undesirable. However, right outside of PG County in Silver Spring, Bethesda, and Takoma Park, things seem much better. This is just what I saw. Unless there are desirable areas of PG that I have missed.
Did you drive through Laurel, Bowie ,Upper Marlboro, brandywine?No, then you need to drive some more.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 PM

963 posts, read 1,371,400 times
Quote:

I live in PG County, specifically College Park and my neighborhood is far from ghetto. I have a mix of lawyers, doctors, professors, plumbers, construction workers, IT folks (like myself), and retirees. My neighborhood is mixed with people all over the spectrum from all different backgrounds. I can't speak for the other places but what specifically didn't you like about College Park or Hyattsville and why do you think they are ghetto? There is a ton of new development and new housing being built along Route 1. If it were so "ghetto" why would developers continue to pour money into these places?

I will agree the school system isn't the best but that's comparing some of the best school systems in the country (i.e. Fairfax or Loudoun Counties), but Montgomery County isn't that great from what I hear unless you are near Bethesda and Rockville. Again I think if you are parent and are involved in your kids school I think that's what determines a child's success not a GreatSchools score, IMO.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 PM

608 posts, read 400,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran keating View Post
spent the last couple weekends driving around the dc suburbs since i am planning on relocating to there from new jersey. I was impressed by what i saw in northern virginia and howard/ montgomery county in terms of the houses, school district, friendliness of the people, shopping, safety, and general aesthetic. Pg county however does not seem like an ideal place to live by any means, from what i saw.

My question is, why is pg county so bad? Hate to say it but much of the county could be described as "the ghetto". High crime, poorly maintained houses, poor school system, lots of drug issues, and even poverty can be found in most of the county. With it's proximity to dc, i would imagine pg to be as nice as moco and loudoun, but that's not the case. I just don't get why pg is so undesirable and crime-ridden while the rest of the dc metro area is friendly, well-educated, wealthy and one of the best suburbs to live anywhere in the us.

Thank you.
look at it's residents

Old 05-23-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Spent the last couple weekends driving around the DC suburbs since I am planning on relocating to there from New Jersey. I was impressed by what I saw in Northern Virginia and Howard/ Montgomery county in terms of the houses, school district, friendliness of the people, shopping, safety, and general aesthetic. PG county however does not seem like an ideal place to live by any means, from what I saw.

My question is, why is PG county so bad? Hate to say it but much of the county could be described as "the ghetto". High crime, poorly maintained houses, poor school system, lots of drug issues, and even poverty can be found in most of the county. With it's proximity to DC, I would imagine PG to be as nice as MoCo and Loudoun, but that's not the case. I just don't get why PG is so undesirable and crime-ridden while the rest of the DC metro area is friendly, well-educated, wealthy and one of the best suburbs to live anywhere in the US.

Thank you.
Question? If I am looking to move to NJ and and take a few weekends to ride around Newark and the Oranges and determine Essex County NJ is a "ghetto place" to live would I be right?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 AM

1,563 posts, read 942,064 times
Quote:

Thank you.
You know what.. you people can just keep hating. You took one drive through the entire DMV area and now you running your mouth on here like u know it all . like why would somebody b driving through those areas of town for no reason lol. i don't believe you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or