U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 327 times

Advertisements

I will be potentially moving to Charles County and would like to find a community that is progressive to live in. I am not religious, enjoy to jog, and will be renting a condo or small house. I was hoping for a community that offers outdoor activities such as day hikes and jogging.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 03:27 PM

568 posts, read 175,010 times
Charles County doesn't have a strong political identity IMO. Waldorf is a shopping mecca for Southern Maryland and many people who live there commute to jobs in DC or Andrews Airforce Base. I wouldn't call it liberal or conservative... or progressive (but my guess is that based on the demographics most people in the city vote Democrat). As you head south to La Plata and beyond the county becomes more rural, hence conservative. Cedarville State Forest (Cedarville State Forest) is right next to Waldorf and has excellent trails for hiking, plus a pond for fishing. It's about 3,500 acres. It's a nice peaceful walk under the canopy of trees... several miles of trails.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:45 AM

13,748 posts, read 4,072,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranLevine View Post
I will be potentially moving to Charles County and would like to find a community that is progressive to live in. I am not religious, enjoy to jog, and will be renting a condo or small house. I was hoping for a community that offers outdoor activities such as day hikes and jogging.
LaPlata is nice and there are some very nice sections in Waldorf and new developments in Waldorf but it is bigger and that brings more of everything traffic and crime included .You don't say where it is you work ,I was going to suggest if it's possible Leonardtown in St Mary's county .

Old 06-02-2018, 08:51 AM

32,105 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LaPlata is nice and there are some very nice sections in Waldorf and new developments in Waldorf but it is bigger and that brings more of everything traffic and crime included .You don't say where it is you work ,I was going to suggest if it's possible Leonardtown in St Mary's county .
But would Leonardtown be "progressive" enough? That looks to be the main requirement.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But would Leonardtown be "progressive" enough? That looks to be the main requirement.

I guess that would be for the OP to decide ,just trying to give some ideas. I would say Solomens but I know it's to far away.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:41 PM

32,105 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I guess that would be for the OP to decide ,just trying to give some ideas. I would say Solomens but I know it's to far away.
That's going to depend, Leonardtown and Solomon's are pretty much the same latitude.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:04 AM

Yeah again that would be up to the OP ,he's the one traveling. Leonardtown just seems to be a "easier"ride,Solomens while beautiful has rt 4 and "the bridge".

Old 06-07-2018, 02:40 PM

3,280 posts, read 4,600,818 times
For recreation.....the Indian Head Hiker-Biker Trail, extends for 13 miles, from White Plains on Highway 301 (near the county health department) to the town of Indian Head on the other end. This wide paved trail is very popular for walking, jogging, and cycling. There are also paved trails along St. Charles Parkway / Rosewick Road.

Several of the older communities of the huge planned community of "Saint Charles" have scenic Lakes encircled by paved walking trails. There is also Cedarville State Forest, mentioned by the poster above, and parks like Tighlman Lake- Laurel Springs near LaPlata. Due to its Racial demographics, Charles County is consistently Democratic, although in the more rural areas the older people lean Republican......... Calvert County, and Saint Marys County, are more Republican.

Although you're not religious, just FYI, Waldorf has both Conservative and Reform temples, the latter one having many interfaith couples - I have several friends there.

Will you be working in Charles County, or commuting to another County or the D.C. area? Be aware that traffic going toward D.C. is very heavy and frustrating. Commuter busses exist but are also slow.

The county seat town, LaPlata, has some charm, including outdoor summer concerts, festivals and parades, a large community College, hospital, the annual county Fair, and the best community little-theater in southern MD. LaPlata has arguably the best quality of life in Charles County. While overwhelmingly single-family homes, there are some quality apartments/ condos or townhouses downtown like "Edelen Station" and "Charleston".

Waldorf is a sprawling, un-incorporated city of at least 80,000+, about half of whom live in the enormous planned community of "Saint Charles", Waldorf also has a 2-level shopping Mall, an ice-skating rink, and minor league baseball. One quality apartment project is the "Westchester". Several of the local high schools have indoor and outdoor swimming pools, open to the public for $5.

Last edited by slowlane3; 06-07-2018 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or