U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 05:59 PM

32,114 posts, read 39,199,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It is per capita, or its close to first. There truly is not a lot of poverty in the state outside of Baltimore City which is only 1/10 the state population, and even then not all of Baltimore is impoverished. So the other 90% or so of the state's population may not all be uber wealthy, but because the bottom floor of poverty in the state is so minimal I could see why it remains one of the top 3 or so wealthiest overall.
There's a lot of rural poverty in Maryland. It isn't sexy, it isn't close to media outlets, it doesn't get tied into other pathologies like urban poverty does so it gets generally ignored.

Much of the Eastern Shore, swaths of Southern Maryland and Western Maryland would be part of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 06:31 PM

26,859 posts, read 57,900,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's a lot of rural poverty in Maryland. It isn't sexy, it isn't close to media outlets,
it doesn't get tied into other pathologies like urban poverty does so it gets generally ignored.
Much of the Eastern Shore, swaths of Southern Maryland and Western Maryland would be part of the above.
And neither group is some new phenomenon of unknown cause.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 3,002,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's a lot of rural poverty in Maryland. It isn't sexy, it isn't close to media outlets, it doesn't get tied into other pathologies like urban poverty does so it gets generally ignored.

Some level of poverty can exist anywhere outside zip codes with the highest incomes. Some counties may have a number of areas close together with a lot of wealth, yet adjacent to zip codes with much lesser wealth. I recognize it may exist in those places, but based on a percentage of population of the state as a whole. I would not classify it and say there is a plethora of poverty through the rest of Maryland. Things are pretty moderate in comparison to poverty in let's say Southern Appalachia or Mississippi Delta region or West Baltimore etc.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:51 AM

32,114 posts, read 39,199,960 times
Quote:
Some level of poverty can exist anywhere outside zip codes with the highest incomes. Some counties may have a number of areas close together with a lot of wealth, yet adjacent to zip codes with much lesser wealth. I recognize it may exist in those places, but based on a percentage of population of the state as a whole. I would not classify it and say there is a plethora of poverty through the rest of Maryland. Things are pretty moderate in comparison to poverty in let's say Southern Appalachia or Mississippi Delta region or West Baltimore etc.
Yes there is. I was indirectly trying to address the denial that many have about its existence. I run into that denial here on a weekly basis when people come up with "ideas" on how to spend tax revenue on their pet projects.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 AM

4,562 posts, read 7,623,866 times
Quote:
Get west of Sideling Hill, and you are in Appalachia, and the poverty you expect to see is absolutely there if you care to look at either stats or with your own eyes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

You may see us as a small pocket of Maryland, but in reality we are part and parcel of one of the largest, and poorest contiguous regions of the country. By Appalachian standards, we aren't rock bottom, thankfully, but we aren't doing well economically either.

Last edited by westsideboy; 06-07-2018 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 02:37 PM

170 posts, read 84,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Get west of Sideling Hill, and you are in Appalachia, and the poverty you expect to see is absolutely there if you care to look at either stats or with your own eyes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

You may see us as a small pocket of Maryland, but in reality we are part and parcel of one of the largest, and poorest contiguous regions of the country. By Appalachian standards, we aren't rock bottom, thankfully, but we aren't doing well economically either.

From MAR 2018, MD is ranked number ten out of all the US states for best GDP/GDP growth and DC is ranked number one (number one being the best in the USA) not bad!

Every US state economy ranked from worst to best - Business Insider

Old 06-07-2018, 03:12 PM

4,562 posts, read 7,623,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
From MAR 2018, MD is ranked number ten out of all the US states for best GDP/GDP growth and DC is ranked number one (number one being the best in the USA) not bad!

Every US state economy ranked from worst to best - Business Insider
That's great for the state as a whole, it is doing well. Very little of that wealth and economic success has made it out this far though. Allegany County is still depopulating, a trend that goes back to the 1950 census.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:14 PM

9,425 posts, read 5,213,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
You're right! I forgot it. I forgot the Potomac area too . Hell, I was just out in Deep Creek lake, nice areas there also. I guess you always think local first. Maryland is - outside the central part- very diverse in topography and vibe. This weekend I'll be in Berlin MD outside OC and up in Lewes DE; all within a two hour drive. Comparing Deep Creek Lake Garret county to the areas around Berlin MD -and the eastern shore or southern Maryland St Mary's county- like different states all together.
And that's what a lot of us love about this state. For as small as it is it's very different as you move about.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
That's great for the state as a whole, it is doing well. Very little of that wealth and economic success has made it out this far though. Allegany County is still depopulating, a trend that goes back to the 1950 census.
I agree, I don't think it ever will. Its much like a lot of PA, lost in time, and too remote in a lot of cases. Its nice looking and has recreation, but that's about it.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
And that's what a lot of us love about this state. For as small as it is it's very different as you move about.

I agree! Its great little place in most aspects. However, I wish somehow they would make it more retire friendly. Its a way prettier state then say Delaware , but Delaware is way more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or