U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:29 AM

170 posts, read 84,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakingchains View Post
Youíve got to be sucicidal.
Maryland is a horrible place, the people are weird, drugs are everywhere, crime is horrible, the people are super cold and cliqueish, gangstalking is a serious issue here, as well as robberies.

Itís the whole freaking state.
NYC is literally better in every way; you canít pick a safe place to live in md.

The entire state is garbage.
Iím leaving this state after I sell my home; probably hPpening next month.

You donít want to come here.
I can only hope an icbm comes and simply kills all life here at some point; hopefully when I leave.

I concider the people of Maryland domestic terrorists; having a nuke fall on it would be a blessing.
Are you kidding me LMAO NYC is better the MD? That's a laugh! I was there last year. It's a way over-rated over-crowded **** hole! With nasty rude people and the water there stinks! Taxes are higher, property rates are insane and that's just for starters. You can have that place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 07:24 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,765,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousMaryland View Post
It sounds like the previous poster had some bad experiences, but as you can see from my name, I feel differently. Options are bountiful, but you will be commuting to 3 very different locations, and traffic throughout those areas is challenging. Move to the area to which you will be commuting most frequently (or as close as possible). No area will be convenient to all three. All have heavy traffic.
Monitor Google Maps for a while, during the rush hours you would be traveling. Learn where and when the worst traffic (Red) is, and pick the location where you will be traveling in the opposite direction during the proscribed times. That is where you should be looking to live. Sounds like you might have bad traffic on some days, which will require compromise.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 1,049 times
I love Southern Maryland - Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's county. Decent schools, homes are still affordable, and we've got some diverse areas - it really depends on the specifics you are looking for. From the middle to upper Calvert County, your commute wouldn't be bad. I've lived in northern St. Mary's county for 23 years now. My husband commutes to DC. Baltimore is an hour, Alexandria is 45 minutes (depends on travel time) and I can make it to the Baltimore airport in an hour and 10 minutes - Annapolis in an hour. If you are looking for country quaint Southern Maryland has charm. Good luck with your search

Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM

19 posts, read 4,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecjones129 View Post
Iím relocating to Maryland for work and will be traveling to 3 office locations: Baltimore, Annapolis Junction and Alexandria, VA. Annapolis Junction will be my main office, so I will be commuting there 3 times a week and then once a week for the other two.

The plan is to rent a townhouse, 3+ bedroom that costs less than $3,000 per month in rent. My wife and I have a newborn, so schools arenít an immediate concern but will be in 4-5 years. Recommendations so far have been Columbia, Ellicott City, North Laurel and Elkridge.

Quote:
Iím interested in a safe, diverse neighborhood.. and a walkable downtown would be a plus.
You won't be able to find that easily.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:16 PM

10 posts, read 2,937 times
I would suggest Annapolis, Parole or the little town of Eastport! It's a super cute area with lots of things to do - shopping, dining, festivals and history - Annapolis is the capital city! There are a lot of little sections of Annapolis, so it is good to have someone that knows the area. I have lived here all my life (now right over the bridge on Kent Island - as you can tell from my name), but happy to help

Old 07-25-2018, 04:01 PM

73 posts, read 65,551 times
What About Eastern Shore commute? Many feel (myself included) the best of Maryland is on the Eastern Shore. The bridge is clogged summer Sundays, with returning weekend ocean goers, but there is less crime and a slower paced life style. Easton is a great town but would add 45 minutes to commute time.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:47 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
I'd suggest Ellicott City, Annapolis or Clarksville.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 7,982 times
I've worked in Falls Church and Alex VA, DC, Baltimore, and Annapolis - all from a great house in Crofton. Yes, this history spans nearly 20 years so the traffic has gotten progressively worse. It's all about the timing and luck (whether there's a pileup on the beltway or not).

Crofton is a great town but really getting crowded a la Northern VA. There really are no affordable quaint walking downtowns. Sorry, but the NE/Mid atlantic coast from boston to DC is crowded everywhere there's quaint or very expensive (and still getting crowded during some seasons). Cute, affordable, quaint, walking downtowns are either in a small town rural area without good, high paying jobs, or too expensive to live in (that's why they are so nice and quaint!).

Odenton/Crofton for townhouse rentals and safe, convenient, nice place to live is what I recommend. If you hit the lottery, Old Town Alexandria should be your choice. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or