U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2018, 11:10 AM
 
Location: 352
5,059 posts, read 3,484,244 times
Reputation: 3400

Advertisements

Hi guys, I'm flying into BWI on sunday to get to DC. I've flown in and out of BWI before, but I've never taken a MARC train. I see you can take a free shuttle from the airport to the train station, get on the train, and take it down to Union Station in DC for $7.

It doesn't seem too confusing online, how is it in real life? I'm coming Sunday, leaving Wednesday, and I'm trying to line up my times. My flight should get into BWI by 8:52am and I see the 681 train leaves for DC at 9:30am. Considering I won't have to wait at baggage claim should I have enough time to deplane, get to the shuttle and catch the 9:30 train? Does anyone know how you get to the shuttle?

My flight on Wednesday is at 7:27pm, so I figure I can catch the 430 "express" train from union station to BWI at 4:20pm, or the 634 local.

How does this sound? Do you pay at the station or must you use an app or online or something? I've never taken Marc so I'm not familiar with the setup, but a $14 round trip train to DC sounds much better than a $120 uber ride stuck in 95 traffic. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2018, 03:03 PM
 
2,666 posts, read 2,777,259 times
Reputation: 3106
I know you can pay at the Station, there might also be an online APP. Here is the Web site if you haven't found it yet. You might be a little tight on your arrival time depending on which airline, what gate, how the suttle is running.



https://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 10:42 PM
 
Location: 352
5,059 posts, read 3,484,244 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I know you can pay at the Station, there might also be an online APP. Here is the Web site if you haven't found it yet. You might be a little tight on your arrival time depending on which airline, what gate, how the suttle is running.

https://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train
I'll be on Spirit. I know they're known for delays, but that flight has been arriving early every day recently according to Google. It was scheduled to get into Baltimore at 8:52am today but landed at 8:36, so I'm hoping everything aligns and I make that train. The next train isn't until 11:10 and I really don't want to have to sit there all that time, but we'll see. On Google this flight has been landing at gate D11. Assuming that's what it ends up being on Sunday, do you know if that's good?

Yeah I've been to the site, but it's a tad overwhelming so I was hoping CD could simplify it. Thanks I'll try searching for an app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 AM
 
3,137 posts, read 7,889,043 times
Reputation: 1946
If you miss the train, just take the B30 bus to Greenbelt and the Metro to DC.

https://www.wmata.com/schedules/time...B30_180624.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2018, 11:13 AM
 
Location: 352
5,059 posts, read 3,484,244 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
If you miss the train, just take the B30 bus to Greenbelt and the Metro to DC.

https://www.wmata.com/schedules/time...B30_180624.pdf
Thanks, but does it run on Sundays? That chart is only showing M-F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 PM
 
Location: 352
5,059 posts, read 3,484,244 times
Reputation: 3400
Anybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 02:34 PM
 
4,947 posts, read 2,568,683 times
Reputation: 21991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

It doesn't seem too confusing online, how is it in real life?
Easy in real life. The shuttle takes less than 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 08:45 PM
 
877 posts, read 1,185,265 times
Reputation: 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Thanks, but does it run on Sundays? That chart is only showing M-F.
You are cutting your morning ride time rather close. Remember that it is not just what time the plane arrives, it's how long it takes you to deplane. Sometimes they fiddle around with the gate for an extended period. I have not tried to buy a MARC ticket at BWI but at Union Station there are multiple ticket machines. Worst case, you can buy from a desk agent, but that usually has a line.

No, the B30 does not run on the weekend.

In addition to Uber and Lyft, consider www.supershuttle.com/. You can book online and by phone. DCA (Ronald Reagan Airport) and Union Station are both popular ground destinations from BWI, so you will probably be able to book a shared ride for under $40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2018, 11:51 AM
 
Location: 352
5,059 posts, read 3,484,244 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
You are cutting your morning ride time rather close. Remember that it is not just what time the plane arrives, it's how long it takes you to deplane. Sometimes they fiddle around with the gate for an extended period. I have not tried to buy a MARC ticket at BWI but at Union Station there are multiple ticket machines. Worst case, you can buy from a desk agent, but that usually has a line.

No, the B30 does not run on the weekend.

In addition to Uber and Lyft, consider www.supershuttle.com/. You can book online and by phone. DCA (Ronald Reagan Airport) and Union Station are both popular ground destinations from BWI, so you will probably be able to book a shared ride for under $40.
Thanks. If I miss it I'll probably just bit the bullet and wait 90 minutes and pay $7 rather than pay ~$40. I'll try deplaning as fast as possible. Thanks for letting me know that's an option though, I'll bookmark it. Hopefully they state online where to buy tickets.


Does anyone happen to know where you go for the shuttles once you deplane? I won't have luggage so I don't have to worry about baggage claim. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2018, 12:11 PM
 
3,286 posts, read 4,607,767 times
Reputation: 3070
I didn't realize that MARC operated on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top