Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 PM

182 posts, read 247,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Just like Pennsylvania does, unfortunately.

Maryland/PA/VA are all about the same for retirement ; they all stink! Thanks to the Democratic Party, the ignorant stupid people that vote them in, and their addiction to raise taxes on everything including the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
They can have my spot in a few years.
They can have mine in less than a year...Tennessee bound!

Old 09-18-2018, 03:13 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrlyjo View Post
They can have mine in less than a year...Tennessee bound!
Yep, that's our plan too. Maryville south of Knoxville to be exact, where will your new home be?

Old 09-18-2018, 10:38 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
Maryland does not tax SS income, so, if the bulk of your income is SS, and your house is paid off, Maryland can be affordable. If you and/or your SO is over 61, you can get a reverse mortgage, and be mortgage free, and still live fairly well on SS alone, especially if both people are near the max SS amounts.
That's great, I guess.
1) I know people DO it, but who would PLAN to only live on Soc Sec alone.
2) Who wants to do a reverse mortgage as the PLANNED way to be mortgage free.

I'm not retirement age and I had other reasons for leaving MD for a state that happens to be much better for retiree finances and taxes....but every chance I get I remind friends that MD is not necessarily retiree income friendly.

Regardless, people will live where they want to -- or have to -- live.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:16 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That's great, I guess.
1) I know people DO it, but who would PLAN to only live on Soc Sec alone.
2) Who wants to do a reverse mortgage as the PLANNED way to be mortgage free.

I'm not retirement age and I had other reasons for leaving MD for a state that happens to be much better for retiree finances and taxes....but every chance I get I remind friends that MD is not necessarily retiree income friendly.

Regardless, people will live where they want to -- or have to -- live.
Well, when the wife says she won't move away from the Grandchildren and the main reason to leave is affordability, you have to get creative. Both of us are almost at the max SS payments, so that figures to be about $60k/yr. Add to that a small pension of $355/month. If we can't live with that, not having a mortgage, we are doing something wrong.

My CPA tells me I can earn almost $20k more and not have much, if any additional taxes to pay for both state and federal. This is the first full year, so we will find out next February when we see him again.

We pretty much prepaid our taxes during retirement by taking money out of our 401Ks to buy a house with a reverse mortgage. We won't be facing RMDs when we turn 70, for any appreciable amount. The only taxable income we will have is $355/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland