U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:17 AM

5 posts, read 2,503 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum,

I am a single black grad student working remote making about 52k a year. I’m looking to move to Maryland for graduate school next February. I am well aware of internet statistics but I would like information from people who actually live in the state. My research has left a lot of question since I can’t find a place that is not only diverse, relatively crime free but also in a relatively big city. I’m looking to spend $1,300 - $1,500 and live alone so I need some information about the difference between Laurel, Columbia and Northern Virginia. If someone could explain the type of people living there, safety and suggested zipcodes it would be extremely helpful. Also I’m looking at a school in Baltimore and Bowie, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 04:19 AM

29,595 posts, read 64,197,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackqueen_ View Post
I am a single black grad student working remote making about 52k a year.
I’m looking to spend $1,300 - $1,500 and live alone...
What else do you want to have in your life?
$52K -20% (payroll deduct) -10% (save/invest) = $36,400 ÷52 = $ 700/wk NET

How many of those WEEKLY net checks do you want to spend on your MONTHLY housing costs?
I recommend only ONE (and including utilities).

Your idea of spending TWO weeks, nearly HALF of your monthly net...
lets say it isn't sustainable. In Maryland or anywhere else.

Quote:
I’m looking to move to Maryland for graduate school next February.
...the difference between Laurel, Columbia and Northern Virginia.
How far you'll have to commute to school and general COL.
Laurel will be the least expensive area.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What else do you want to have in your life?
$52K -20% (payroll deduct) -10% (save/invest) = $36,400 ÷52 = $ 700/wk NET

How many of those WEEKLY net checks do you want to spend on your MONTHLY housing costs?
I recommend only ONE (and including utilities).

Your idea of spending TWO weeks, nearly HALF of your monthly net...
lets say it isn't sustainable. In Maryland or anywhere else.

How far you'll have to commute to school and general COL.
Laurel will be the least expensive area.
First of all my take home pay is $1,750. Not counting the grant money and VA money I receive every month. So instead of you trying to come on this forum and be a bully because you hate yourself and have NO SELF ESTEEM! Just by pass this question and go get you a life.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:25 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,546,575 times
I noticed you mentioned school in either Bowie or Baltimore. I would assume Northern Virginia would be ruled out due to that. The commute would be horrendous. Bowie should also be on your radar to live if you do end up going to school there.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:59 AM

3,294 posts, read 3,380,206 times
Find out where you are going to school first. Center your search on there. Don't know how used to traffic you are but it will be terrible around here. The less commute the better.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Find out where you are going to school first. Center your search on there. Don't know how used to traffic you are but it will be terrible around here. The less commute the better.
Thank you. I’ve gotten accept to schools in both Bowie and Baltimore. From my research Bowie is to expensive and Baltimore is high crime. Any suggestions?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:04 PM

701 posts, read 823,894 times
Yea, Bowie may just be out of your price range with 1br apts starting around $1,450/month. You might be able to find a desirable apt within your budget in Laurel. I would focus on the areas around the Towne Centre and Laurel Bowie Rd. (e.g. Foxfire Apts has good reviews on Google). Being near Laurel Bowie Rd provides a straight shot to Bowie State and also easy access to the B/W Parkway which you can take to Bmore. You also wouldn't be far from I-95 which you could take to Bmore.

I would also consider Greenbelt if you can't find anything desirable in Laurel.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:51 PM

833 posts, read 332,479 times
Laurel is very diverse, and a "reasonable" commute to Bowie and Baltimore. I'd say the average Laurel resident makes as much or less than you do in terms of income. I'm not personally familiar with rents in Laurel, but given the demographics I think it would be safe to assume you can find something in your income range. But, like every city, the lower you pay in rent, the higher your chances of encountering undesirables, such as crappy neighbors and criminals.

For the heck of it, here's a link to a $1,330/mo apartment. This particular apartment complex is very nice and is directly adjacent to the Laurel Town Center (shopping/groceries/retail/restaurants). https://baltimore.craigslist.org/apa...754341196.html

Laurel also has the MARC commuter train option, which goes to Baltimore. MARC can also connect you to the DC metro rail, which can get you to Bowie (although probably not faster than driving since there are train connections/changes to make).

Northern VA is a total no-go. You'd regret that decision on Day 1 due to the commute. Columbia is safe and may offer something in your price range. You will definitely need a car if you live in Columbia.

My two cents.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:57 AM

10,852 posts, read 6,244,480 times
Quote:
First of all my take home pay is $1,750. Not counting the grant money and VA money I receive every month. So instead of you trying to come on this forum and be a bully because you hate yourself and have NO SELF ESTEEM! Just by pass this question and go get you a life.
Well that was a bit extreme, especially for a new poster who came here for help.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:20 AM

3,294 posts, read 3,380,206 times
Quote:
Thank you. I’ve gotten accept to schools in both Bowie and Baltimore. From my research Bowie is to expensive and Baltimore is high crime. Any suggestions?

Baltimore is a big area. Some areas are safer than others. You need to look a t the areas near where you will be going to school and compare. The School should be able to give you some guidance as to housing in the area. Use them as a resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland